Who were the greatest military leaders?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Chiron
Ranger

Re: Who were the greatest military leaders?

Post by Chiron »

. wrote:Everyone's reasons for listing someone as great will be different. Some may list a man as a great military leader because of his innovation, another may list a different man because of his cool under fire or ability to make sound and timely decisions while under extreme duress. Military greatness can be defined in so many different ways. I will have to think about this one awhile before I throw my choice or choices up.
Define a great military leader. Some say that it’s the one that wins and knows how to keep the peace. Some say it’s the one that invents tactics that will never change. Others say many different things. I think it’s a combination of many things including, and mostly, the one that changes history for the benefit of mankind.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

Thank you for all the replies and thoughts!
Chiron wrote:Define a great military leader. Some say that it’s the one that wins and knows how to keep the peace. Some say it’s the one that invents tactics that will never change. Others say many different things. I think it’s a combination of many things including, and mostly, the one that changes history for the benefit of mankind.
Ranger Chiron;
I am not sure that peace keeping would be an aspect of this model that Joshua proposed; but suspect it probably is a by-product of a military mind, so let's include it. I will make notes on those folks, so we can address it when the time comes.
Caruthers wrote: Is Joshua in on this?
Ranger Caruthers;
Joshua was invited and asked to work tandem with me, and help shape this model into what he had envisioned. His schedule, at this time, does not allow him to join. However, I will most likely find him as this evolves to get his feedback.

Best;
DrD
~Black Raven~
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

DrD wrote:All;

From another source, I got this military leader: Adolf Hitler. This person's opinion was that although he was reprehensible, he was an extremely good military leader.

What do you think? Should he be included, or not?

Thank you!
DrD
He was a Political leader; not a military commander/leader. His highest military rank in WWI was "gefrieter" or private soldier. During the period leading up to WWII he allowed the Army to grow with little oversight on his part; rather he relied on his subordinates (Goering, Himmler, Blumberg, Raeder) to manage the day to day operations while he played an ever increasing role in civil society. With the onset of WWII, he was often less than competent in his guidance. He condemmed the Army in the East to Fight and die in place during the worst winter in a decade. He permitted rolling stock to be diverted for deportation rather than assigning the priority to the war effort. I would not classify him as a military leader; a meglomaniac, yes; a military leader, no.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Nathan Bedford Forrest

Killed 30 men in h2h
29 horses shot out from under him
Less than a year of formal schooling
Self made millionaire
Went from private to lieutenant general
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

Ok, so it seems pretty unanimous. We are *not* including Hitler.

Thanks! :D
DrD
~Black Raven~
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

DrD wrote:Ok, so it seems pretty unanimous. We are *not* including Hitler.

DrD

The fact that this had to be said aloud...makes me worry for the republic.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

Silverback wrote:
DrD wrote:Ok, so it seems pretty unanimous. We are *not* including Hitler.

DrD

The fact that this had to be said aloud...makes me worry for the republic.
Maybe, Ranger Silverback. I questioned his inclusion, which is why I brought the name to you all to vet. I am very thankful that I can bring questions to you all. :wink:

Cheers;
DrD
~Black Raven~
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Most of the biographies of great leaders will never be written, because Squad and Team Leaders don't garner much attention.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
DrD
Tadpole

Post by DrD »

Silverback wrote:Most of the biographies of great leaders will never be written, because Squad and Team Leaders don't garner much attention.
Undoubtedly. I agree, Ranger Silverback. I can't do anything about that, except ask everyone who will talk to me. Maybe they will share that knowledge with me. When I know enough about what is already written, I will reach out to people to ask those questions. On this regard, this study is also very dependent on my mentor. When he returns, I will have enough information to take to him, and get direction on this.

Best;
DrD
~Black Raven~
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Silverback wrote:Most of the biographies of great leaders will never be written, because Squad and Team Leaders don't garner much attention.
Thanks for the lead in, Dan. Please allow me to mention one of the finest leaders the Army has had. I give you CSM Walter James Sabalauski, or "Sab" as those of us he helped mold called him:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/sabalauski.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Then we can reintroduce Hitler. He did, apparently, do a half decent job as a corporal in a line company. :twisted:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “The Mosh Pit”