Lap top

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

dbmtrman
Ranger

Re: Lap top

Post by dbmtrman »

i bought a new dell and my wife just got an HP. The hp is nice, if you are plugged in all the time. Going on battery, it lasts an hour if you are lucky. My dell lasts for about 4 hours and recharges within a half hour. Runs much cooler then the HP also.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
another damn texan
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

If you don't want your shit to crash every other time you turn it on get a Mac. I am officially done with with Windows.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
RetPara
Ranger

Post by RetPara »

EvilCouch wrote:Might want to hold off on getting a new laptop for a month or two. There's a good possibility that MS is going to start letting OEM companies distribute computers running Windows 7 soon.
Buy it before Win7 hits the street. Right now we have two HP laptops and one desktop. I work with about 30 Dell laptops and many, many desktops. Being working with Dell laptops for years.

a. You DO NOT want to be one of the first to use a new Windows OS. NOT a good thing to do.... unless your giving it to one of your ex-wives......

b. HP and Dell both have good support programs. You GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Recommend you get accidental breakage and AT HOME part replacement.

c. Both Dell and HP have good refurbished outlet sales (search their sales sites) that will sell dent & scratch/ returned/excess/return from lease hard ware. inventory is constantly changing. Will come with NEW warranty.
RS2 84-86

Intelligence in a person can be measured.... Stupidity is a bottomless pit which is beyond measure....
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

RetPara wrote:
EvilCouch wrote:Might want to hold off on getting a new laptop for a month or two. There's a good possibility that MS is going to start letting OEM companies distribute computers running Windows 7 soon.
Buy it before Win7 hits the street. Right now we have two HP laptops and one desktop. I work with about 30 Dell laptops and many, many desktops. Being working with Dell laptops for years.

a. You DO NOT want to be one of the first to use a new Windows OS. NOT a good thing to do.... unless your giving it to one of your ex-wives......

b. HP and Dell both have good support programs. You GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Recommend you get accidental breakage and AT HOME part replacement.

c. Both Dell and HP have good refurbished outlet sales (search their sales sites) that will sell dent & scratch/ returned/excess/return from lease hard ware. inventory is constantly changing. Will come with NEW warranty.
Also I've read that you may be able to upgrade your Vista machine to Windows 7 pending your computer meets certain unknown requirements.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

For the Web, email get a Netbook with Ubuntu or some other Linux distro installed. If you understand how to use a menu system then you will be fine.

Hardware Wise, HP or IBM, avoid Dell like a syphilitic crack whore. Even EeePC is better.

If you want gaming capabilities, then go HP. I just built a seriously kickass laptop for ~1500. HP DV7T-2000. Stick with Vista if you don't want linux, as Windows 7 has some serious application compatibility issues that they are trying to skirt by forcing you to use virtualization. While I do virtualization for a living, it is not something I would try to put on to the average computer user.

A dirty little secret about Vista is that when they first released it, there was still a bunch of debugging code left turned on. As they release service packs & patches,they slowly turn the debugging code off which makes the OS work faster.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

RetPara wrote:
Buy it before Win7 hits the street.

Or better yet, never again use that crap and get a mac. You can get a nicely packaged MacBook for around $1500. It'll also probably be more up your alley since you're a musician.

I will never again own a PC that runs anything made by Microcrap. If you feel like you absolutely need to have that junk on your computer, create a small partition on your HD, run a program called bootcamp (which is organic to OS X) and you'll be able to run FalconView on your MB if you have to.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

ok you fuckers scare me with your knowledge on this but then again I knew you fucks would be SME's which is why I asked.

Not too sure about the Mac but I am going to dig deeper. Kinda leaning towards HP. Basically this is going to be our home computer. If you saw the link to my new crib, space is a premium
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

If it's going to be a home computer, why are you wanting a laptop?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Disinfertention wrote:If it's going to be a home computer, why are you wanting a laptop?

My new crib.

http://www.cheyennecampingcenter.com/P295BHSS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Myself
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Well a laptop is practical then.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Disinfertention wrote:Well a laptop is practical then.

dude, somehow I found that fucking funny as hell
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

Mentor to Myself
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Disinfertention wrote:Well a laptop is practical then.
Or a Palm Pilot!

Nice Rig Bubba!!!
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90

Return to “The Mosh Pit”