The impact in your life as a Ranger

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

red2alpha
Embryo

Re: The impact in your life as a Ranger

Post by red2alpha »

I wasn't a Ranger but I was in the 82nd and I always felt better when the Sky Pilot was around on jumps. Don't be afraid to be hard every now and again too. Sleep with your fellow Rangers, share their hardships, pretend you are a Joe again, and let them come to you, I say again, let them come to you. They will. All Soldiers have problems and it helps to have an ear outside of the Chain of Command that will listen to you. Lastly, if you can remember their first names.
GRUNT - "Term of affection used to denote that filthy, sweaty, dirt-encrusted, footsore, camouflage-painted, tired, sleepy beautiful little son of a bitch who has kept the wolf away from the door for over two hundred years." -H.G. Duncan

SGT Arnold Duplantier II KIA 22 June 2005
RangerLee
Ranger

Post by RangerLee »

I remember during train up for Iraq in late 2002 our Bn. Chaplain (might have been Chaplain Lasley) said a prayer / some motivational words for us. During the prayer he said something to the effect of "Men I am a man of god, but i am definitely not opposed to superior fire power".

Keep in mind i had only been in bat about 1.5 months, when i heard this...
It was then i realized i was really in Ranger Bn.

Good Times
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
-Mahatma Gandhi

A. Co Fist "Rat Bastards" 2/75 - Oct 2002 - Jan 2005
2nd Platoon "BlackSheep" FO Type 1 each.
OIF 2003
OEF 2003, 2004
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I once asked a USAF Chaplain "how does God answer prayers"?

He looked at me like I had a dick sticking out of my forehead.

So I answered my own question "through other people, you can't get feedback from the GRITS if you isolate and sit around dwelling on your own thoughts"......I got offered a job as a Chaplain's Assistant....:)
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

hodge wrote:Rangers,
As has been noted that St Andrew is indeed the Patron Saint of Scotland and the reason his cross is in the shape of an X instead of a cross is that he did not deem himself worthy to die the same way as Christ and asked to be crucified in the shape of an X.
If there as been any wives, or other family members of Rangers and you would like to add how a Chaplain can serve you please feel free to comment.
Hodge
Introduce yourself to the BN & CO Family Readiness Group - try to touch base w/ them regularly, if they have meetings, try to drop in every now and then; when stateside offer (faith based) study groups, ensure that the word gets out to everyone. Keep it real, appropriate and relaxed. Military wives tend to be a strong bunch and we don't need coddling. Military marriages are tough, some couples are going to look to you when the shit has hit the fan - it may be easier to seek you out if they are already familiar with who you are. So again - be present.

Thanks for your service.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

My most notable encounter with a Chaplain was when one of my Rangers Camoflauged 666 onto his forehead.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Silverback wrote:My most notable encounter with a Chaplain was when one of my Rangers Camoflauged 666 onto his forehead.
I don't know if I could maintain a straight face during that discussion. Talk about good initiative, poor judgement.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “The Mosh Pit”