Where is the Best BBQ?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

panthersix
Ranger

Re: Where is the Best BBQ?

Post by panthersix »

Ultimately the best BBQ joint would have topless waitresses and good food :)
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

Bravo57 wrote:
RangerX wrote:
Bravo57 wrote:Just taked with a hillbilly buddy of mine. He said that "Rendezvous Ribs" were the best he's ever had, hands down

He gave me a link to the site.

http://www.hogsfly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody eaten there? Looks like you can order a full rack of ribs. I think I'm going to try them out.
I've been there. Had a full rack, half wet half dry. Pretty good, but not my favorite.
Ranger x / Pocket Kings: Is it worth it to shell out 99 bucks to try them?
RC,

No. But keep in mind that is a full rack + 2 pounds of pork, 1 bottle of sauce and 1 bottle of rub. and shipping is included.

Rendevous is good, but its one of those "I've been there" joints. Greek Immigrant moves to America, starts a sandwhich shop and in the basement discovers a pit / grill. He uses only charcoal and serves things with a greek seasoning and "dry". 50 years later..he's still kicking ass. Again, its one of those places to say..."I've been there".
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by Invictus »

Rendezvous is definitely an "I've been there place".

If you're gonna shell out that kinda cash, Cash, check these guys out: LINK
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

Invictus wrote:Rendezvous is definitely an "I've been there place".

If you're gonna shell out that kinda cash, Cash, check these guys out: LINK

I'll be at the Salt Lick next Friday night with the youngest spawn and will post some pics!
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by panthersix »

rgrokelley wrote:Depending on where you are standing in the US, Barbecue means different things. Down towards Texas it is beef. Here in the Carolinas it is pig. In North Carolina the Barbecue sauce is one way. In South Carolina it is another. South Carolina has a barbecue sauce that is mustard based. North Carolina has vinegar and tomato. However the true "green line" in the Barbecue wars is US 1. West of that line the Barbecue is tomato based, or one some hecklers call "ketchup barbecue". East of that line it is vinegar based, which led to one legislature to comment that it would be considered child abuse to feed them vinegar (yes, there was arguments in the NC legislature over who has the best barbecue).

There is also the argument about what is used. West of US 1 it is the pork shoulder, east it is shredded pork, pulled of course and not hit with a blender. The location that has proclaimed itself the Barbecue capital is Lexington, North Carolina.

So, the best Barbecue depends on what animal you are eating, what part of the animal you are eating, and whether you put ketchup, vinegar or mustard on your animal. One constant fact is that Yankees can't do barbecue. It is against their nature and to do so would make their head explode. They can boil food to a untasty paste, and call it regional. Adding something to spice it up would just go against their constitution.

Me, I live in Barbecue township, so named since the early 18th century, before there was a Texas, Lexington or South Carolina mustard.
I'm taking the Panther Spawn to run the Carthage 5k DAV memorial run on Saturday. Where's the best BBQ nearby?
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

panthersix wrote:
rgrokelley wrote:Depending on where you are standing in the US, Barbecue means different things. Down towards Texas it is beef. Here in the Carolinas it is pig. In North Carolina the Barbecue sauce is one way. In South Carolina it is another. South Carolina has a barbecue sauce that is mustard based. North Carolina has vinegar and tomato. However the true "green line" in the Barbecue wars is US 1. West of that line the Barbecue is tomato based, or one some hecklers call "ketchup barbecue". East of that line it is vinegar based, which led to one legislature to comment that it would be considered child abuse to feed them vinegar (yes, there was arguments in the NC legislature over who has the best barbecue).

There is also the argument about what is used. West of US 1 it is the pork shoulder, east it is shredded pork, pulled of course and not hit with a blender. The location that has proclaimed itself the Barbecue capital is Lexington, North Carolina.

So, the best Barbecue depends on what animal you are eating, what part of the animal you are eating, and whether you put ketchup, vinegar or mustard on your animal. One constant fact is that Yankees can't do barbecue. It is against their nature and to do so would make their head explode. They can boil food to a untasty paste, and call it regional. Adding something to spice it up would just go against their constitution.

Me, I live in Barbecue township, so named since the early 18th century, before there was a Texas, Lexington or South Carolina mustard.
I'm taking the Panther Spawn to run the Carthage 5k DAV memorial run on Saturday. Where's the best BBQ nearby?
PM sent
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

I'm still lovin' Rudy's BBQ. First bbq I had here in TX. I've been to Salt Lick which most people will rave about - I just didn't like the flavor of their sauce and haven't tasted anything else from anywhere else that curls my toes like Rudy's does.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

The debate between Eastern and Western NC BBQ has been going on for years. Both are damn good as long either is whole hog, but I prefer Eastern (really, the only difference is the sauce which most NC'ers zealously guard their own private recipes) I'm surprised no one has mentioned the typical sides that go along with it. Here, it's sweet tea, hush puppies, slaw-which can be done a couple of different ways, beans and usually, banana pudding.

Beside my father in laws BBQ (he's since passed on) Mitchells in Wilson NC was one of my favorites. It's now closed. Someone mentioned Coopers in Raleigh which use to be the shit until it went under (and I mean UNDER) new management.

I still haven't figured out the mustard stuff SC calls "BBQ"

Lexington BBQ Festival for the best NC BBQ in October.

Best other 2 venues for anyone to sample the worlds best BBQ from anywhere in the states is twice a year: Memphis in May (which is actually next weekend) and the American Royal in October.

http://www.memphisinmay.org/bbq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.arbbq.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.barbecuefestival.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Zonk, that thing pictured is not a BBQ grill bro, it's a cremator. :lol:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

DoorGunner wrote:BBQ'd Lobstah, Rock Island, that's what we know about BBQ :lol: Besides, up here we get all the styles and sauces and meats without a prejudice.

You tell'm DG .... Damn Rebel Heads! :lol:
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Rangertab1
Tadpole

Post by Rangertab1 »

it's sweet tea, hush puppies, slaw-which can be done a couple of different ways, beans and usually, banana pudding.
Wish I was in NC today.
Outstanding! I get to lead my family through humanity's next mass die-off. -Me

Commissioned, Lamar University - 19 December 1992
Ranger School Class 10-93
S4 RSE PL, 2/75 93-94
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

DoorGunner wrote:BBQ'd Lobstah, Rock Island, that's what we know about BBQ :lol: Besides, up here we get all the styles and sauces and meats without a prejudice.
Seriously? You don't BBQ Lobstahs? Right? This is a joke, right? Because that would just be ...

... wrong! :shock:
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

JLTW!!! wrote:
Julieanne wrote:I'm still lovin' Rudy's BBQ. First bbq I had here in TX. I've been to Salt Lick which most people will rave about - I just didn't like the flavor of their sauce and haven't tasted anything else from anywhere else that curls my toes like Rudy's does.
Goes for your hubby as well obviously...given the chance, that is where we eat 100% of the time :lol: .

Rudys is good but take a short (well, for ya'll out in the sticks, not so much :P ) drive to Lockhart (S. 183 out of ATX about 30 min), and I promise it'll be worth it, or I'll buy a case of whatever beer ya'll choose.
I'll be out there in a few weeks and I'll try it out - I've munched on the left-overs... but definitely willing to try it out again.

How are ya? Haven't seen you in ages!
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."

Return to “The Mosh Pit”