Where is the Best BBQ?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Where is the Best BBQ?

Post by RangerJurena »

Being from Texas I have a slight lean towards Beef. That being said, Justin is correct IMHO, the mecca is the hill country and Lockhart has all the heavy hitters:

Kruez
Smitty's
Blacks

Luling is pretty good as well. The Salt Lick is real good, but I think its more about the experience of driving to a farm house out in the country, bringing your own cooler full of beer and then they have that huge open pit in the center with the sausages hanging and they are finishing off the briskets right there as well.

There is a place in Eagle Lake where I believe Andy purchased the 2008 Ranch BBQ, Austins, that is damn good and also makes the Texas Monthly list.

Coopers is spot on in both Llano and the one on I10 in the middle of know where is like an Oasis. I've found any Rudy's to be real consistent also.

The best pulled pork I've had was in North Carolina but it was actually at Rockingham Speedway. The pig was being being smoked and towed behind a 4 x 4 Chevy!

I used to stop in at a place in Dothan, Al. that had some great pork and the best baked beans but I can't remember the name of it.

That is my dream retirement to someday have my own bbq joint. I just cooked in my first official cook off which is a whole different world considering your trying to get 4 meats ready for a specific turn it time.

http://www.ibcabbq.org/results2009/re090307tempe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They did misspell my name, but not too bad for the first one and I can at least now say that I have "Award Winning BBQ".
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

That other Cooper's on 1-10 is in Junction, TX. I was talking to the guy making me a sammich and he said that they are not owned by the same people. It is damn good though.

Being from Texas I do like beef brisket but I gotta say pork ribs are way better than beef ribs.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:
Bravo57 wrote:Ft. Mitchell BBQ, Alabama. Just out past Fryar DZ. Best I've ever had.
You're from the north....what the fuck do you know! :lol:
Whoa!!

I just live up here. Shit, technically I guess you are right since I'm from Orygun. :(

:lol: :lol:

Bubba, you gonna back me on Ft. Mitchell BBQ? Or did the place burn down again...... Best pulled pork, good brisket
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I just went to Witt's and purchased the family pack.

Then I ate it all myself.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Bravo57 wrote: Bubba, you gonna back me on Ft. Mitchell BBQ? Or did the place burn down again...... Best pulled pork, good brisket
still standing, but Hog Rock BBQ in Phenix City is better, sorry no-show
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

best $5 plate of BBQ ever, Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church, Huntsville, TX. period. they started it as a fund raiser, and the town wouldn't let them quit.

best sauce ever was taken to the grave by Randy Sims in Bryan, TX.

Lulling City Market in Lulling, TX is damned good too.

Jurena, I really need you to remember the name of the place in Dothan (I'll be there in two weeks). I never found anything in Dothan or around Rucker when I was there. If you say Larry's, I'll never believe anything you ever say again.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Rangertab1
Tadpole

Post by Rangertab1 »

What a waste of discussion. Its kinda like asking where the prettiest women come from. Everybody knows where the best BBQ and best cooks and prettiest women come from. :roll:

I can't wait to eat some at the Ranch.
Outstanding! I get to lead my family through humanity's next mass die-off. -Me

Commissioned, Lamar University - 19 December 1992
Ranger School Class 10-93
S4 RSE PL, 2/75 93-94
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Any filthy little roadside shack with a cardboard sign south of the Mason-Dixon.

Dreamland Tuscaloosa is good stuff. Dreamland Montgomery (& most of the other non-Tuscaloosa locations for that matter) is not.

As for best type (Texas, NC, Lowland, Kansas, etc. ), that is like trying to pick a favorite child.....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

KW Driver wrote:best $5 plate of BBQ ever, Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church, Huntsville, TX. period. they started it as a fund raiser, and the town wouldn't let them quit.

best sauce ever was taken to the grave by Randy Sims in Bryan, TX.

Lulling City Market in Lulling, TX is damned good too.

Jurena, I really need you to remember the name of the place in Dothan (I'll be there in two weeks). I never found anything in Dothan or around Rucker when I was there. If you say Larry's, I'll never believe anything you ever say again.
I'll have to do some research this was '93-'95 time frame. It was on my commute from Eglin to Benning. Seems like there was some "loop" you go around in Dothan on the way and it was around there. Off to my left on the way to Benning. Passed right by it on the way back.

Larry's does not ring a bell. Let me use Google and see if anything does.

The company I'm going to work for is headquartered in Enterprise, Al. If the market is right I could open a Texas style place around Rucker.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

Dobbs was the name.

Now keep in mind, this was 16 years ago and I was eating the pork ( I gave up on Brisket outside of Texas at a young age). But the pork sandwich and the baked beans were good.

This of course always reminds me of whenever my parents or Lisa's ( also a native Texan) would ever come to visit us in Georgia, Florida or NC.

We would always rant and rave about either this hole in the wall BBQ joint or Mexican food place we had found that was "almost as good as home".

We'd race out as soon as they got to town and mentioned something about being hungry. The plates would arrive and one of the parents would inevitably say...." you two haven't been home in awhile have you?" :D :D
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89

Post by KW Driver »

RangerJurena wrote:Dobbs was the name.

Now keep in mind, this was 16 years ago and I was eating the pork ( I gave up on Brisket outside of Texas at a young age). But the pork sandwich and the baked beans were good.

This of course always reminds me of whenever my parents or Lisa's ( also a native Texan) would ever come to visit us in Georgia, Florida or NC.

We would always rant and rave about either this hole in the wall BBQ joint or Mexican food place we had found that was "almost as good as home".

We'd race out as soon as they got to town and mentioned something about being hungry. The plates would arrive and one of the parents would inevitably say...." you two haven't been home in awhile have you?"
:D :D
amen. I'm still living it.

and anything quality in Enterprise would make a killing, at least with the military crowd. and that's enough of a crowd to guarantee success.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Ontonagon, Michigan in November. :D
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
Rangertab1
Tadpole

Post by Rangertab1 »

For you 2nd Batters, theres a place down in Centralia that did/does some decent BBQ. Can't remember the name, but he bought his pit from Texas. Hauled it back to WA in a horsetrailer. Overall, WA sucked for BBQ.
Outstanding! I get to lead my family through humanity's next mass die-off. -Me

Commissioned, Lamar University - 19 December 1992
Ranger School Class 10-93
S4 RSE PL, 2/75 93-94

Return to “The Mosh Pit”