Photograph help

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

The Old Guy
Ranger

Photograph help

Post by The Old Guy »

Is it possible to take a low-density photo (60K) and enhance it enough, say to five or six megapixel, to have it enlarged for poster use? The picture is almost 40 yours old and was scanned. There is NO way of rescanning the photo for my intended use..

If so, how is it done or does it take a computer savvy individual with special software?
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances – to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Viktor E. Frankl
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Photograph help

Post by Silverback »

I googled "How do you enhance an old picture"

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& ... earch&aq=f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Silverback wrote:I googled "How do you enhance an old picture"

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& ... earch&aq=f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just don't ever Google "Google", you'll break the internet. :P
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
TheREMF
Ranger

Post by TheREMF »

Ranger The Old Guy

This is off topic but I see from your avatar that your a Tolzer. When were you there? I was stationed there between '87 to '91.
The REMF
HHC 2/75th 92-94

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
The Old Guy
Ranger

Post by The Old Guy »

TheREMF wrote:Ranger The Old Guy

This is off topic but I see from your avatar that your a Tolzer. When were you there? I was stationed there between '87 to '91.
When things were real good 1982 - 1985.

The very best assignment in my 29 years of AFS.
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances – to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Viktor E. Frankl
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

The Old Guy wrote:

Again off topic, but did you ever know a Ron "the Squeak" Blanchard?
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

CatFish Driver wrote:
The Old Guy wrote:

Again off topic, but did you ever know a Ron "the Squeak" Blanchard?
Or a Paul Tentler?
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
CardiacKid
Ranger

Post by CardiacKid »

The Old Guy:

I'm in no way the final word on this, but based on my personal experiences as a photographer and photo editor it's going to be difficult. Any digital imaging/photography company (most mom&pop style places or a Ritz/Wolff Camera will be able to enlarge it to poster size, however the quality is going to be reduced dramatically if the input file is only 60k. Most will use Adobe Photoshop or a similar graphics program. You may need to check through your local yellowpages for someone who specializes in this type of work, and chances are they're most likely going to have to do a lot of re-touching and a little bit of "photo improvising" to make something look decent at a large size. This could involve anything from artificially adding more color to it to going in and adding to or enhancing the natural lines and shadows/highlights in the photo. Some people are fantastic at this, so it's really a matter of seeing their portfolios/past work rather than just taking their word for it.
MCCC/SFDOQC (2011-present)
2-502 IN (2008-2011)
RS Class 8-08
RangerLee
Ranger

Post by RangerLee »

I run into this problem a lot.
I am a web / graphic designer and people always have small low res images they want to use in the places where his res images are.

Possible Fix.
If the image was scanned @ a high resolution 300 dpi + print it out at the best quality possible on photo paper.
If you don't have a good printer try taking it into a photo place on a cd that can print it out for you.

Once you have the good print, rescan it.

If you want me to take a look at when you have i would be glad to.
PM me for email address if you are interested.

RLTW
Lee
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
-Mahatma Gandhi

A. Co Fist "Rat Bastards" 2/75 - Oct 2002 - Jan 2005
2nd Platoon "BlackSheep" FO Type 1 each.
OIF 2003
OEF 2003, 2004
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

email hobbit (L company Ranger on this site). He retouched several of my photo's from Nam so I believe he might be able to help you. Tell him, I sent you.

Below is a link to some of his instructional information several years ago. So I believe he is light years ahead of us in this subject.
http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29364
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
The Old Guy
Ranger

Post by The Old Guy »

NO contact on Ron Blanchard

I knew and worked with Paul Tentler. Very good guy.

Viktor E. Frankl
5911man
Egg

Post by 5911man »

McD, I Paul T. here, I am alive and well and living in VA, I served with Ron Blanchard in Tolz and at Panzer Kaserne with the 10 SFGA, but dont know where he is now.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

5911man wrote:McD, I Paul T. here, I am alive and well and living in VA, I served with Ron Blanchard in Tolz and at Panzer Kaserne with the 10 SFGA, but dont know where he is now.
Your 1st post should have been an introduction as is standard SOP.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Steadfast wrote:
5911man wrote:McD, I Paul T. here, I am alive and well and living in VA, I served with Ron Blanchard in Tolz and at Panzer Kaserne with the 10 SFGA, but dont know where he is now.
Your 1st post should have been an introduction as is standard SOP.
My old team leader always leading the way. :lol:
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
5911man
Egg

Post by 5911man »

I knew there was a reason why I have stayed away from these forums, strangers with little or no interest in the subject at hand butting in and informing me about protocols and SOPs, I'm not aware of. I only posted on this site to get in touch with, people I knew and cared about, over my twenty year military and 16 year fed govt career. I answered a simple question regarding myself and someone I know, and Steadfast has already ruined my ArmyRanger.com experience. Thanks Steadfast.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”