Hand Slaute (I didn't know)

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Silverback
Ranger

Hand Slaute (I didn't know)

Post by Silverback »

New Law Authorizes Veterans’ Salutes during National Anthem
WASHINGTON -- Veterans and active-duty military not in uniform can now render the military-style hand salute during the playing of the national anthem, thanks to changes in federal law that took effect this month.

“The military salute is a unique gesture of respect that marks those who have served in our nation’s armed forces,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James B. Peake. “This provision allows the application of that honor in all events involving our nation’s flag.”

The new provision improves upon a little known change in federal law last year that authorized veterans to render the military-style hand salute during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, but it did not address salutes during the national anthem. Last year’s provision also applied to members of the armed forces while not in uniform.

Traditionally, members of the nation’s veterans service organizations have rendered the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag while
wearing their organization’s official head-gear.

The most recent change, authorizing hand-salutes during the national anthem by veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel, was sponsored by Sen. Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma, an Army veteran. It was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009, which President Bush signed on Oct. 14.

The earlier provision authorizing hand-salutes for veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag, was contained in the National Defense Authorization Act of 2008, which took effect Jan. 28, 2008.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Looon
Ranger

Re: Hand Slaute (I didn't know)

Post by Looon »

It's fairly new.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I had heard about this change, but this is the first written discussion.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I am lucky to have found it because the whole "Hand over the heart" thing never felt right to me.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I don't know if I will have time to salute while beating the crap out of people who aren't even standing.

I guess there is a reason I don't go to public gatherings.....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Silverback wrote:I am lucky to have found it because the whole "Hand over the heart" thing never felt right to me.
It took years for me to get comfortable with it, now I can revert to what really feels right.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Jim wrote:
Silverback wrote:I am lucky to have found it because the whole "Hand over the heart" thing never felt right to me.
It took years for me to get comfortable with it, now I can revert to what really feels right.
I'm not used to it (Hand on Heart), so I just stood at attention. I will now be saluting!

Thanks for the info Apeman
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I'm waiting for my next NASCAR race, when I don't remove my hat and hand salute. Rednecks all over are gonna throw beer cans...
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
rehevam
Tadpole

Post by rehevam »

I don't know that I like this. Seems to me that over time, civilians will adopt this also, not knowing any better. All they will know is that some guy is standing there dressed like they are and saluting. So they will figure that that's what they're supposed to do too. Next thing you know everyone will be doing it even though it's only proper for vets....
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

42L5V wrote:I'm waiting for my next NASCAR race, when I don't remove my hat and hand salute. Rednecks all over are gonna throw beer cans...
I say that in jest. My normal routine at 1700 is to stop talking/training, look to the closest NCO and say "Sergeant?" and let him do his thing. I take off my hat, if wearing, and place it over my heart. Sadly, it gives him the clue to do something...

I totally inforced/reinforced reveille and retreat when I was a Drill. I even arranged trans for my platoon on a Sunday morning at 0530 to go to post headquarters so my platoon could silently and reverently view reveille - on my day "off". Had a big impact.

I think that if I'm on base, I'll hand salute with civilian headgear (the published message says "civilian clothes" and I usually wear military-related headgear anyway) but if I'm in a totally civilian/public place, I'll remove hat, then hand salute. I hope to think the crispness of it would kinda give it away...
Last edited by 42L5V on December 16th, 2008, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RSClass 10-92
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

rehevam wrote:I don't know that I like this. Seems to me that over time, civilians will adopt this also, not knowing any better. All they will know is that some guy is standing there dressed like they are and saluting. So they will figure that that's what they're supposed to do too. Next thing you know everyone will be doing it even though it's only proper for vets....
I disagree. I don't care if a civilian renders a hand salute. It's not only proper for vets, it's proper for Americans. Next thing you know - we will all give a shit about our country... 8)

Your statement is justification for why we SHOULD do it.
RSClass 10-92
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

rehevam wrote:I don't know that I like this. Seems to me that over time, civilians will adopt this also, not knowing any better. All they will know is that some guy is standing there dressed like they are and saluting. So they will figure that that's what they're supposed to do too. Next thing you know everyone will be doing it even though it's only proper for vets....
fuckers don't even stand much anymore anyway, much less put their hands over their hearts, at least when the colors pass them. National anthem, very few remove hats, much less, shut the fuck up.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Bravo57 wrote:
Jim wrote:
I'm not used to it (Hand on Heart), so I just stood at attention. I will now be saluting!

Thanks for the info Apeman
X2
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I would say that you can probably do whatever you want to since our incoming president doesn't do anything when the Nation Anthem is being played.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Rangerguru wrote:I would say that you can probably do whatever you want to since our incoming president doesn't do anything when the Nation Anthem is being played.
Get over it! He's our POTUS(e) and that's the way it is.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “The Mosh Pit”