Auto GPS

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

McD
Ranger

Auto GPS

Post by McD »

So the misses bought a GPS last week, a Navigon 2100max. Got it for a screaming deal and didn't ask me to do any research on what would be a good one to buy :shock: Seems to work OK but seems to have a slow response time (at least at highway speeds/past the turn or exit when looking at my position) real time. Text is a little small for these old eyes also.

I was wondering if the response time is typical for all GPS's and what is everybody else using?
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
fatboy
Ranger

Re: Auto GPS

Post by fatboy »

I'm running a Garmin Nuvi 200, and it seems to change when it tells you about turns based off of your speed. It's kind of caveman simple, not really too many words to look at either, since it has a map with arrows and a touch screen for programming.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Use a map and compass...
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Ranger Bill wrote:Use a map and compass...
Grrrrrr! :D
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

I have the Garmin Nuvi 260W. It's great. Couldn't find the Pastors house with it, but other than that, It's easy to update and is extremely easy to use.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Bravo57 wrote:I have the Garmin Nuvi 260W. It's great. Couldn't find the Pastors house with it, but other than that, It's easy to update and is extremely easy to use.
Safety Feature! Bravo! :lol:

Mine is growning on me. When it is in navigation mode it gives you plenty of warning before your turn.

Beats the hell out of my "Nagagator" who sits next to me in the car! :lol:
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

My Tom Tom is trying to kill me, or get me killed

Keeps routing me through E St louis when I tour my stores in the area. It routed me through a backwoods, banjo playing gravel road in Kentucky, a fucking gravel road!! I was on my way to a Best Buy store in Paducha. How the fuck was a gravel road in the mix there? I did get to see where Lincoln held a debate though, that was cool, Oh yeah, and the worlds largest Superman statue.

Fuck it, I'm getting a Garmin
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
basicload
Ranger

Post by basicload »

Garmin is king of the business.

I have owned three hamd helds, two wrist mounted, and three car mounted Garmin products and they were all top notch.

If any of you have some money buring a hole in your pocket and like expensive toys, might I suggest the Garmin Nuvi 850/880 (880 has bluetooth to allow you to dail your phone and talk hands free using the GPS).

The 800 series has the best voice recogonition on the market today and allows you to tell the GPS where you want to go. This allows you to keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

For any of you that are used to the garmin menus, it uses the same ones, but you do not have to touch the icons, simply read them out loud.

Consumer reports rated the 880 the best GPS of the market in its price range.

Garmin GPS's are the Standard by which other GPS's are judged.

If you are in the military and have a GSA vehicle and have not gotten your chain of command to equip that vehicle with a Nuvi, you letting them cheat you.
Cco 1/75 91-95
RTD RIP/PRE RANGER CADRE 95-97
Aco 3/75 97
Aco 1/75 00-03
RIP Class 6-91
Hooah School class 6-92
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

We use Garmins here at work everyday.

Normally we get very good responses from our customers on them. How ever like any computer, the colder the weather or environment it is in, the slower it works.

Also, Garmin really needs to update its maps. There is a housing development here in Reno that has been there for 3 years. In fact the street that I built my house on hase been there for two years. However the Garmin can not find that street. "Street not found" Like I said I have lived on that street for 13 months so I know its there. :D

Other than that, no big complaints on the Garmin.
It's all good.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I have a TomTom. It is easy to use, but likes to route me on interstates. I prefer the shortest route, so I just pre-program that option.

I purchased a little hooker voice for it, thinking it would entertain me. It was funny for the first two sentences...for a u-turn, I get, "Turn me around, Big Boy, and slam me like I like it." :lol: Like I said, after a couple sentences, I was ready to slap that fucking GPS through the windshield! :roll:

I never go anywhere without a map/compass, though...just in case.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
RedHawk357
Egg

Post by RedHawk357 »

I bought a Nuvi 680 around a year ago and hate to even think what I paid for it lol. It's been a useful tool. I haven't been able to stump it yet. Ran into a couple of areas where map isn't updated but that didn't really have any affect on my travels as I knew where I was and just had the map up running. My wife dropped the power cord once and broke the cheap plastic tip that plugs into the lighter to power the GPS. Sent Garmin an email explained what broke and they sent me the replacement parts in under a week. I give them kudos for that. I do wonder has anyone paid for a map update yet from Garmin? Wondering if it's really worth the $64.00. Also have a Vista Hcx etrex that handles city to city pretty well although I don't think it handles door to door without adding some type of update. But city to city works fine.
Is est quis is est

Return to “The Mosh Pit”