Cancun, Mexico

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Nomad
Ranger

Cancun, Mexico

Post by Nomad »

I am heading there for the next five days. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do, which places to avoid etc?
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Avoid the Hammerhead and Great White Sharks!
Be carefull where and what you eat to avoid Montezuma's revenge.
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

I'll ask one of my guys. He just returned from leave there.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Invictus
Ranger

Re: Cancun, Mexico

Post by Invictus »

Nomad wrote:I am heading there for the next five days. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do, which places to avoid etc?
The ruins at Tulum at pretty cool, and I highly recommend THIS place. I hear the diving in Cozumel is exceptional. Last but not least, I believe the Latina talent down there is exceptional...just make sure you leave Ford's beer goggles at home.

Make sure you take some pics.
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Take your white shoes I think the latinas will really like them :lol:

have fun, be safe, wear a condom 8)
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

If this is just for the guys...

He says take the bus and never a taxi. Taxis cost 8x as much.

Playa del Carmen is an awesome beach. A key point of interest.

Club: Congos and Senior Frogs. The other places are subpar.

He said the clubs in your hotel are most likely all inclusive, double check.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Scuba Wino wrote:Yeah, stay out of Cancun. rent a car and drive a half hour south and go to Playa Del Carmen. It's the European version of Cancun. Smaller, more fun and a TON less people. You will see fewer Americans there.

If you'd waited a week, I could have met you there. We're heading to Cozumel next week for 15 days.

Get SCUBA certified while you're there and dive a cenote (fresh water cave system running under Mexico). Absolutely beautiful.
Arrived in Cancun yesterday. I fucking hate the tourist trap bullshit mentality the locals have going on here. We're staying in a nice (23 and over) place called the "Oasis Grand Playa". It's supposed to be all inclusive, but they missed our reservation for transpo to and from the hotel (I'll address that with Expedia when I get home) so we had to pay out the ass for a fucking cabride. I am still pissed about that.

Then there is the fact that wireless internet costs money. I get to pay for it in 15 min, 1 hour or 24 hour increments....for an "all inclusive 4 star hotel" this sure as shit feels like a goddamn rip off.

Good thing is that the food is excellent and the beach is spectacular.

I'll be getting my dive cert done tomorrow and plan on diving all over the place until we leave on Saturday.

Don't think I'll ever come back to Mexico though. Maybe I'll do DR or CR next time.

Thanks for all the PM's and pointers. You guys rock.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Nomad wrote:.....
Then there is the fact that wireless internet costs money. I get to pay for it in 15 min, 1 hour or 24 hour increments....for an "all inclusive 4 star hotel" this sure as shit feels like a goddamn rip off......
I travel extensively for work now, and I can tell you this, the more you pay for a hotel, the more likely they charge extra for internet access.

Perhaps this is a sign that you should stay off the computer while on vacation, and spend more time scoping bikinis.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Drive up to Xcaret. It's about a 30-45 minute drive. They have an eco park, which has pyramid ruins, a sea turtle preserve, a bat cave, an underwater river (for snorkeling), a shark lagoon, etc. Pretty cool place. At night, they have a pretty neat cultural show in a huge primitive theater. It's worth checking out. The water is so clear up there that you literally don't need a mask.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

RangerX wrote:
Nomad wrote:.....
Then there is the fact that wireless internet costs money. I get to pay for it in 15 min, 1 hour or 24 hour increments....for an "all inclusive 4 star hotel" this sure as shit feels like a goddamn rip off......
I travel extensively for work now, and I can tell you this, the more you pay for a hotel, the more likely they charge extra for internet access.

Perhaps this is a sign that you should stay off the computer while on vacation, and spend more time scoping bikinis.
I have noticed the same thing in regards to the internet. As for chicks in bikinis...hate to say it but most American women are fat! Not much to look at in that sense. I think I'd be better served doing Thailand at Magician's place!
elle
Tadpole

Post by elle »

EarthPig wrote:Drive up to Xcaret. It's about a 30-45 minute drive. They have an eco park, which has pyramid ruins, a sea turtle preserve, a bat cave, an underwater river (for snorkeling), a shark lagoon, etc. Pretty cool place. At night, they have a pretty neat cultural show in a huge primitive theater. It's worth checking out. The water is so clear up there that you literally don't need a mask.

RLTW
EP
X2

Ranger Nomad, Xcaret is worth the price. Take a cab if you have to it, that's adventure in itself. The info I sent you about Akumal, disregard, Xcaret trumps it.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Nomad wrote:.....As for chicks in bikinis...hate to say it but most American women are fat! Not much to look at in that sense. I think I'd be better served doing Thailand at Magician's place!
This just tells me you need to drink more.

As for Thailand.... I think we all know the truth to that statement.....

At any rate, have fun and stay off the fucking computer!!
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

Try and hit up the bull fight and soccer game, it's an experience you're not likely to forget!

Also, there's a BOB thing (kind of like a mini-submarine-moped) that's pretty cool. That's up by the RIO.

If you're going to rent wave runners, do it on the cove, it's much cheaper.

Don't eat anywhere towards the south side of the island away from most of the resorts, I got sick, and I'm mexican...

If the clubs are open, go at least once to the one with a statue of Beetlejuice in front of it. The wire show is amazing, everything from spiderman to the matrix. The other big club does a cirque de soleil type of thing, and all the bartenders do a big "fire bottle" coctail show which is awesome.

There's a fairy boat island party that they do where all the drinks are free, then they take you to an island where there's chow, a big beach party, and the like.

Of course, all this could be totally worthless to you since I went during spring break, but I assume the club shows are year round.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace

Return to “The Mosh Pit”