PT

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Glock

PT

Post by Glock »

For those who are in DEP or are shipping out, listen up.

http://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/ranger/ ... aining.htm

For a few months now I have been following this schedule. If you can't follow it, alter it so you don't kill yourself. Try to do as many of the events as you can( I can because I have a pool and a pull-up bar). Obviously if you don't have a pool you can't swim, but make that up by running. If you don't have a pull up bar then do what I did and buy one that sticks in your door frame. If your serious about being a Ranger then do this or at least try your best to work up to it.

When I signed my contract they gave me a book with a weak ass PT schedule. But it is for beginners, and a good starting point.

Monday;
Week 1: Walk or jog 10-20 mins, 1-5 PU, 5-10 SU.
Week 2: Jog or Run 20-25 mins.
Week 3: 12-15 PU, 13-20 SU ( 3 sets )

Tuesday;
Week 2: 5-10 PU, 8-15 SU (3 sets )
Week 3: 3min Run, 10min jog, 3min Run, 5min walk.

Wednesday;
Week 2: Jog or run 20-25 mins.
Week 3: 12-15 PU, 13-20 SU, (3 sets )

Thursday;
Week 1: Walk or jog 10-20 mins, 1-5 PU, 5-10 SU
Week 2: 5-10 PU, 8-15 SU, ( 3 sets)
Week 3: 3min run, 12min jog, 4min run, 5min walk.

Friday;
Week 2: Jog or run 25-30 mins.
Week 3: REST

Saturday;
Week 1: Rest
Week 2: 5-10 PU, 8-15 SU ( 3 sets)
Week 3: 3min run, 12min jog, 4min walk.

Sunday;
Week 1: jog 15 mins
Week 2: REST
Week 3 : 15 PU, 20 SU, ( 2 sets)

PU= Push-ups
Su= Sit-ups

This is the schedule you get when you sign your contract. I think it is pretty weak, but for some people it can be pretty tuff. Learn to love PT. I was running in 30 degree weather last week. Don't let anything hold you back. ONLY YOU can decide whether you pass RIP. ALWAYS give 110% ALL of the time. Good luck.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Good workout just as i said before, why do pushups and stuff that works those areas of the body every day. The need rest for the muscles to rebuild and get stronger. Other than that.
Matt117

Post by Matt117 »

I have to admit i tried that workout schedual and found myself extreamly bored of it. Over the summer I started the Navy Seal workout workout which is posted on the Seals website, and I got pretty bored with that too. My work out now is 6 days a week with a mix of endurace and strenght excersizes. Mon, Wed, and Fri, I spend two to three hours at the gym lifting weights and doing both upper and lower body excersizes (one right after another to keep my heart rate up Then I run at least 2 miles. Throughout the day I will intermitantly do at least 600 pushups I'll do sets of 60, 70, or 100. I will also do situps, honestly by the end of the day I have lost count of how many, I will just do them speradically like if I am watching T.V. or something I will pump ot around 80 during every comercial. On Tuesday Thursday and Saturday, I swim any where from 500 meters, to a mile (swiming is a total body workout and if you have access to a pool, its great. I promise you after swimming a mile you will have shaking muscles) :twisted: Then I will do dips, chin ups, sit ups, flutter kicks, and pushups untill i cannot do any more. Sunday I rest and let my body recover. Its a great workout but a workout is only good if you stick to it religoiusly. It does nothing for you if you only do it when you feel like it. Also eat good too. You will be amazed at how much better you feel when you eat food that is good for you ad drop the shit like burger fat ass king. lol.
Matt117

Post by Matt117 »

Hey Glock, sorry I didn't read your whole post, but I just did and I have got a question: How for do you swim an what strokes do u use? I alternate with freestyle and breast stroke and avoid ever swimming on my back or side. Whould you agree that swimming is one of the best excersizes you can do for yourself? Also i would like to know your regular work out schedual, you sound pretty hard core, and I would like to know how mine holds up. Thanks man.

To anyone reading this stuff in DEP. The only way to get better or stronger is to push yourself harder than you ever thought possible. The weak ass pt that most recruiters do at DEP funtions doesn't cut it. Push yourself to the limit and outside of your comfort zone. Good luck. :)
Matt117

Post by Matt117 »

Deadmeat wrote:Good workout just as i said before, why do pushups and stuff that works those areas of the body every day. The need rest for the muscles to rebuild and get stronger. Other than that.
Dude if you eat right (lots of protien and carbos) Your body will begin to recover quicker and quicker so eventually you will be able to work the same mucsle groups everyday.

Sorry I am posting a shit load guys, lol, I needed to read the whole frorum before I put my coments in.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

Edit: Bad post sorry!
Glock

Post by Glock »

Matt, I use a modified version of the Ranger PT thing I posted earlier. I also swim 3- days a week for at least 500 meters to about 1 mile ( I try to work myself to a resonable limit), mainly useing a free syle stroke. I love swimming, it is a whole body workout. Every day ( except Sunday) I will knock out about 1000 pushups throught the day. I knock out about 500 sit-ups throughout the day. I run every morning ( except Sunday) at 0600 for 5 miles one way then I jog back, then I run about 4-5 miles during the evening time. I knock out about 100 pull-ups throughout the day. I'm not too sure how many flutter kicks I can do. I normally loose count around 300 or so, but I go on for a long time. Your sopposed to work towards muscle failer. I throw on a 30- 40 LB backpack and hike for about 10 miles in mountainous terrain, every tuesday. One thing you need to make sure you don't do is make yourself into Arnold. I was warned against doing this because your endurance level while running and ruck marching will be low, which is what you will be doing in RIP. I workout 6 days a week, one day is normally good enough for me to rest. Before I leave, I want to be able to knock out about 200 correct push-ups straight and about 300 sit-ups straight, and run about 10 miles without stopping. So far I'm getting close. Matt, PM me. If were in the same area maybe we can PT together. I don't drink protien shakes or anything like that, I do it all on my own. Later
Matt117

Post by Matt117 »

Yeah Glock, it is better not to drink protien shakes or take supplements like creitien(sp) because once you ship you body will not be used to not haveing that extra fuel and you will be extreamly tire. In high school I took creitien(sp again?) alot and gain huge amounts of postive muscle weight. I stopped in the begining of the summer because I knew I wouldn't have it at basic and it really took a tole on my body. I am fully recovered from that now though.

Glock, sounds like a damn good workout. Thats a good idea of running five miles then jogging back. I usually just run, my downfall is I always start off too fast (at like around a 6:15 pace) and by the end of around 2.5 I start getting winded. I pmed you man. Looking forward to talking.
Glock

Post by Glock »

One thing that we all should do is build up our endurance. And the best way to do that is by running. Everyone has a different pace and distance they run at, push yourself until you become winded then when you feel you can't run anymore then start jogging until you regain your breath. Then do it all over again. It has been very successful for me.
snapper-916-
Embryo

Post by snapper-916- »

yah i'm good on everything except running and times... need to run run run more. :P
PaleHorseRider
Tadpole

Post by PaleHorseRider »

a good workout i found was on this video called the "Army Ranger Workout" that i got off of rangerjoes.com, its a pretty tought workout and really helps ya get in shape

Return to “The Mosh Pit”