Wireless Routers

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

The Old Guy
Ranger

Wireless Routers

Post by The Old Guy »

My new house is in the country and have but one option for local telephone and DSL service in the community. They advertise upload and download speeds at 768kbps/256kbps. We use a VOIP service for long distance and international calling at the house because cell reception is POOR. I want to run a wireless system in the house for my both my computers and printers.

Which wireless system (router) is best for what I want to do the Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router, Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Gaming Router or the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster?

Suggestions?
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances – to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Viktor E. Frankl
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Wireless Routers

Post by RangerX »

The Old Guy wrote:My new house is in the country and have but one option for local telephone and DSL service in the community. They advertise upload and download speeds at 768kbps/256kbps. We use a VOIP service for long distance and international calling at the house because cell reception is POOR. I want to run a wireless system in the house for my both my computers and printers.

Which wireless system (router) is best for what I want to do the Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router, Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Gaming Router or the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster?

Suggestions?
The wireless won't be your problem, although it will depend on where you place the router in relation to all the wireless clients. Your connection is a tad bit light for VoIP, particularly if you are doing anything over the internet, such as web browsing or downloading email at the same time as trying to use the phone.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I would buy the Linksys WRT54G for around $45. You can't beat it for the money. Oh, it's actually a good router; it just doesn't have all that other fancy shit that you will not use anyway.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
DixieRat
Ranger

Post by DixieRat »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:I would buy the Linksys WRT54G for around $45. You can't beat it for the money. Oh, it's actually a good router; it just doesn't have all that other fancy shit that you will not use anyway.
I concur. I've set those up for several of the people I work with. Easy to use (relatively) and reliable.
B/1/319th PFA, 82nd Abn Div 6/72-2/75
C/2/75 3/75-4/76
1/84th FA, 9th ID 5/76-8/77
TUSLOG Det 67 9/77-10/78

Tabless Bitch
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

DixieRat wrote:
ANGRYCivilian wrote:I would buy the Linksys WRT54G for around $45. You can't beat it for the money. Oh, it's actually a good router; it just doesn't have all that other fancy shit that you will not use anyway.
I concur. I've set those up for several of the people I work with. Easy to use (relatively) and reliable.
They're good routers. I bought mine at Best Buy for $50, and received a $45 giftcard that I applied to the router = $5 router.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto

Return to “The Mosh Pit”