Question?????

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Chiron
Ranger

Question?????

Post by Chiron »

Averse or not, the presence of sovereign wealth in global finance is being felt: investment banks from Merrill Lynch to JPMorgan are now scrambling to add SWF departments to their international rosters. In fact, last week Morgan Stanley hired Dino Kos, who once worked at the US Federal Reserve Bank, to help attract more SWF business. With upwards of US$ 2,500 billion in such funds now floating about, from Qatar to Norway, it's not too hard to see why.
So… does anyone know what “sovereign wealth in global financeâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

It sounds like inherited wealth from royalty; but that's just a guess.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

I "think" it is actually royal money. Held by royalty such as the Queen of England, King of Saudi, ect...but considered property of a Sovereign Nation.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

There is an issue regarding a country's wealth being social security and the like that some are placing on the market and I think that's what they are talking about. I'm not 100% sure though.

I do know that there is a current scandal with JP Morgan in that the Greeks lost a lot of $$ and that it was unconstitutional for the government to invest those funds. Seems many folks will not get their retirement $$...

The sovereign in this case would be funds that belong to the country (people).

I was wondering if anyone had any information....
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I think Abell is right. Rich princes get sick of spending their money on whores and cars and actually invest it.

$2,500 billion. That's a lotta scratch.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Pure speculation here but....

What if these people are feeling that their financial interests are no longer rooted in their home countries, particularly in the case of the Saudi & other Arab potentates?

If I was rich as fuck, and saw what was happening in SA right now, I'd bail my money to a more stable platform.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Check out this site

Post by garyedolan »

The West is becoming increasingly anxious about the rise of sovereign wealth funds (SWFs), powerful investment tools used mainly by Asian and Middle Eastern governments.

See http://www.theglobalist.com/storyid.aspx?StoryId=6419
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur

Return to “The Mosh Pit”