45 million vote for updated seven world wonders

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RTO
BANNED

45 million vote for updated seven world wonders

Post by RTO »

GENEVA (AFP) - More than 45 million people have voted so far in an Internet campaign to choose the seven "new" wonders of the world out of 21 shortlisted historical buildings or monuments, the organisers said Monday.

The contest, aimed at raising global awareness about the world's shared cultural heritage, was set up by a Swiss filmmaker, curator and traveller Bernard Weber, following the destruction of Afghanistan's giant Buddha statues at Bamyan by the Taliban in 2001.

In the most recent count published on May 7, the top 10 were the Acropolis in Greece, the ancient Mayan city of Chichen Itza in Mexico, the Coliseum in Rome, the Eiffel tower in Paris, the Great Wall of China, the Incan ruins of Machu Picchu, Petra in Jordan, the statues on Easter Island, Britain's Stonehenge and the Taj Mahal in India.

The organisers say they are trying to get ordinary people to follow the spirit behind the ancient seven wonders selected by intellectuals in the Mediterranean and Middle East around 200 BC. Only one of them, the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, still survives.

Story Here...
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

I can understand some of those, but the Eiffel Tower? It's not an engineering marvel or anything. It's just a really big wrought-iron tower. Hell, it's not even the biggest building in France.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

How touching...now if we could stop half the world from murdering the other half we will have accomplished something. I hate these fanciful trips into nostalgia and think time should be spent figuring out how to stop this mess, instead of creating another target list for terrorists.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I've seen the Taj. It belongs on this list. The rest of India belongs on the seven wonders of world shittiness. Although, I did see a monkey riding a dog. That was pretty wonderful.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Tater Nuts wrote:
Silverback wrote:How touching...now if we could stop half the world from murdering the other half we will have accomplished something. I hate these fanciful trips into nostalgia and think time should be spent figuring out how to stop this mess, instead of creating another target list for terrorists.
Maybe the worlds largest sheet of manmade glass would have some relevence to all involved ? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

EvilCouch wrote:I can understand some of those, but the Eiffel Tower? It's not an engineering marvel or anything. It's just a really big wrought-iron tower. Hell, it's not even the biggest building in France.
Silverback is correct but for the record the Eiffel tower, the statues on Easter Island and the stonehenge are worthless to me.

A) EvilCouch is correct regarding the Eiffel tower.
B) The statues on Easter Island are clumps of stone that have a nose.
C) Stonehenge... Is that art or just a 2 year old playing at building blocks?

It's going to be interesting to see what the world considers "wonders" in this day and age.

"I am against this subject totally. I cannot accept a Greek historian choosing the seven wonders of antiquity and have a tourist company choosing the new ones," he said.

By putting this to a “voteâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

I think the Atlanta Hooters oughta be on that list somewhere. 8)
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

hobbit wrote:I think the Atlanta Hooters oughta be on that list somewhere. 8)
In fact, maybe twice.....Right and Left! :roll: :lol:
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537