What's your families military history?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

aaa
Last edited by Morris0352 on February 18th, 2009, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morris0352
Ranger

Post by Morris0352 »

aaa
Last edited by Morris0352 on February 18th, 2009, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeChan
Embryo

Post by MikeChan »

Yep, Ellsworth AFB was SAC (now ACC) and therefore had the ICBMs and long-range bombers. So did Minot AFB in North Dakota.

My family's always been involved (on both my mom and dad's sides) in the military, but I don't know exactly where (or even what service) some of my cousins were in because I have not met many of them. We need a good reunion one of these days.

My dad was an Army intel officer in Vietnam and my mom's a career diplomat, so I was surrounded by military/government stuff growing up; one uncle was an USAF cargo pilot and a great-uncle was at Midway in WWII and earned a silver star w/oak leaf for his service in the Pacific. Oh, and should we wish to count her, I have an ex who is a JAGC officer in the Navy.
MikeChan
Embryo

Post by MikeChan »

My great-uncle was Navy in the Pacific and other than Midway, I'm not sure what his time over their included, although one of his daughters has just put together a little history of his life and our family during WWII so when I read that, I should have a better picture of things. Like many, he's never talked in great detail about his experiences so I hope he's opened up to Nancy so it'll be in the history she's done. I believe these memories should be perserved.

It's interesting: I've never met any career enlisted or officers (except non-line folks like JAGC and medical) who don't have strong and long family military histories.
"If I settle for less than my best effort, then I must live with less than my best self."

--Brigadier General Malham M. Wakin
SgtSommer
Embryo

hooboy...

Post by SgtSommer »

My Grandfather faught in world war II as a combat engineer, my father was a tanker. My Grandfather's brother was a pilot in the great war, and my mother, step father and uncle are all current active duty Air Force officers in Canada. I can trace my family history to the knights templar in the dark ages, where my great (great great great...) grandfather was a bodyguard to Jaque Demolay. As for the other side of the family? All politicians... Shame realy, waste of a four year degree...

Anywhoo, I carry on the tradition now, soon to be serving the next four years of my life in our nations Army, helping to defend freedom, with life, mind and soul. Hooah!
Before you run, learn to walk.
ranger3737
Ranger

Family

Post by ranger3737 »

Family members fought all the way back to the Revolutionary War.

Great grandfather WW1 104th- Ft. Lewis
Grandfather- 101st G Co. 502nd. Two combat jumps-Normandy and Holland. Wounded seven times across the chest and arm. Left for dead but survived. Lost a lung and crippled one arm. Came to Oregon and became a logger and a powder monkey. One tough son of a bitch.
Dad- 82nd 187th Regimental Combat Team- Rakasans.
5 Uncles in Viet Nam.
My son is going to New Mexico Military Institute this fall on a full ROTC scholarship
3rd Plt. A Co. 2/75 82-85 Class 12-83
mikelogics
Tadpole

Post by mikelogics »

My father was a Major General in the Philippine Air Force. My wife is a Lt in the Air Force, dirving a UH-1H.

Both my kid sister and brother in law were with the 82nd Airborne.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

SFOC Class 77-94
Tm Ldr, SF Tm 1302 95-96
CO, 12th SF Co. SFR(A) SOCOM PA 97-99
CO, 66th Infantry Battalion 10th Infantry Divison, Philippine Army (current)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”