Rabbit-ear TVs about to reach end of the road

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Rabbit ears?

How many already have digital/flatscreen/plasma TVs?
52%
How many don't ever watch TV?
20%
How many still use rabbit ears?
28%

Total votes: 25

RTO
BANNED

Rabbit-ear TVs about to reach end of the road

Post by RTO »

Consumers who depend on old-fashioned antennas to watch television won't miss the 2009 Super Bowl, but their analog sets will stop working soon afterward.

Analog TVs will no longer receive a signal come Feb. 19, 2009, unless users update their hardware to receive a digital signal.

Federal officials announced details Monday about how that transition will work, saying the government will help consumers buy the necessary equipment to upgrade to digital -- a converter box that attaches to the TV set.

The Department of Commerce's National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) said it is setting aside $990 million to pay for the boxes. Each home can request up to two $40 coupons for a digital-to-analog converter box, which consumer electronics makers such as RCA and LG plan to produce. Prices for the box have not been determined, but industry and consumer groups have estimated they will run $50 to $75 each.

"Besides our own consumer education efforts, NTIA is working with partners such as broadcasters, consumer electronics retailers, manufacturers and consumer organizations to reach out to those most in need of the coupon program," said the telecommunication administration's Assistant Secretary for Communication and Information John Kneuer. "We welcome partners and ask that interested parties contact our office at (202) 482-6260 to learn how they can help inform the public about the coupon program."

An estimated 20 million consumers in the United States depend on a free, over-the-air signal for television. Another 15 million might have cable or satellite television service but have extra sets in their home that aren't hooked up and depend on their antennas for service.

Story Continues.....
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I use them at work all the time
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Flat screan 37'.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

While Analog over-the-air broadcasts are scheduled to stop early next year, if you have cable or satellite, your old boob-tube will work just fine. If you insist on using Rabbit ears, there will supposedly be cheap adapters so that old bessie will be able to process the new digital signals.

The part that REALLY pisses me off is that the adapters are going to be government subsidized. My fucking tax dollars so that some shit-whistle will be able to watch Springer in HDTV.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Maggot275
Ranger

Post by Maggot275 »

This whole thing just pisses me off to no end. The government forcing the American public to pay for TV is bullshit when it could still remain a free service just because of new technology. Isn't technology supposed to make life easier and improve our way of life, not to cost us additional monthly fees?

I have a big antennae on my roof and refuse to pay for TV due to the fact that I spend most my time outdoors, but I still enjoy sitting down with a beer and allowing my brain to have very little function. And for what little I, and my family, watch TV it doesn't pay for me to spend $40 a month. I realize this is my choice but it just reaffirms the fact that our government is getting WAY too big.

I may be a little backwoods on this subject, but I just can't see why they won't allow it to remain a personal preferrence on what kind of family entertainment we desire. Dictating to us that we must have satellite TV, at a cost, and purchase the equipment to enjoy this luxury is WRONG!
Attack CO 2/75 01/94-12/98
Ranger Class 08-95

I then asked the Lord: "Why was there only one set of footprints?"
He answered: "The terrain was beginning to constrict and our hit time was coming close. So I put us in a Ranger file."

VII
XXII
MMV
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

DEP68W wrote:When I worked at Best Buy the TV weenies were telling me about how you are going to be required to Buy an HDTV by 2008. Now I'm confused, are they making you throw out your old TV and get a new one or is the Gov't just requiring you to buy the gear to change the signals from SD to HD?
The only change is that over-the-air signals will no longer be broadcast in analog format. It will be digital only beginning next year. Satellite & cable users have to do nothing. If you are still using rabbit ears next year, you will have to buy an adapter that will convert the digital signals to analog for you TV. The converter is gub'mint subsidized, and supposedly it will be cheap.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Maggot275 wrote:This whole thing just pisses me off to no end. The government forcing the American public to pay for TV is bullshit when it could still remain a free service just because of new technology.

Ever wonder why they call it "Programming" or that it's free?? :shock:

Return to “The Mosh Pit”