800 Mile December Bike Ride, Need Gear Advice

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

EvilCouch wrote:What's a flip-up helmet got to do with wearing glasses?

I have a full-face and wear glasses. I just have to take my glasses off before I put my helmet on or off.
I read on Web Bike World (I think) that it's extremely difficult to wear glasses with a full face helmet and that a flip-up helmet is better for glasses wearers.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:
EvilCouch wrote:What's a flip-up helmet got to do with wearing glasses?

I have a full-face and wear glasses. I just have to take my glasses off before I put my helmet on or off.
I read on Web Bike World (I think) that it's extremely difficult to wear glasses with a full face helmet and that a flip-up helmet is better for glasses wearers.
Maybe. I haven't been riding that long, so I suppose it's possible for situations where it would suck would arise that I just haven't ran into.

Did they say what about having a full-face helmet makes wearing glasses difficult?

They're not trying to wear a full-face with some giant 70's pimp glasses are they?
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

It said that while wearing glasses and pulling the helmet down, it caught on the glasses or pulled them off. Also, with the helmet on, it was difficult to slide the glasses in. I have never worn either type of helmet, so it was new to me.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

I never had a problem with a full face and glasses. It is not difficult to put your glasses on with the helmet on....

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

It's been around 40 degrees in Seattle lately, although earlier this week, it dipped down to the 30s. Most of the time, I've been just fine with my usual set up: Full face, wrist-length gloves, leather jacket, textile overpants, and boots.

You can bet I put the liners back into my jacket and overpants, though.

I don't know what it's like in West Virginia, but you should be set with something along those lines, although bringing some extra gear couldn't hurt, especially if you're not used to colder weather.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

If you are going to do any riding in the winter (and I had to ride all winter last year to get to work..) get yourself one of the electric vests to keep you warm. Make sure that your neck gaiter or balaclava will keep the wind out of the helmet..(I had to double up with a fleece bala and regular neck gater) your face can get wind chapped without one even with a full face helmet. The flip front helmets are great for glasses. I've used both and will never go back to a full-face. If you start to get tired or groggy, by all means stop, rest and get some hot chow. You might be getting hypothermic, not just sleepy.
The electric vest, however, will be woth it's weight in gold. You can find them in any decent motorcycle catalog
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I do quite a bit of biking and off-roading in Utah (6000 ft, and this time of year, around freezing in the early morning). The best advice I can provide is good 50% wool/50% cotton socks, thermal shorts, excellent gloves (neoprene), and a mixed-blend outfit.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Thanks for the info, everyone.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

Return to “The Mosh Pit”