How would you survive?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

LLUbetterhalf
Tadpole

How would you survive?

Post by LLUbetterhalf »

Maybe the Amish have it right after all… I know that personally, if electricity got cut off tomorrow, never to be turned on again, I would struggle to keep myself and my family alive. Do you know how to build basic items with no power tools? Could you construct a house? Could you build a chair with no nails?

A very respected generation of ours is dying. Our former farmers and planters are getting older. My Great-Grandmother is 92 and she remembers living with no electricity. She always talks about how, “Those were the days.â€
"Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them!"
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

:shock: :shock: LOL!
Given the fact that your addressing this post to a community full of Rangers.
And your question.."Could your family survive as a unit on its own?"
Shows you still have much to learn about Rangers.
I have no doubt the civilian society, and even Grandma could learn quite a few things from this elite group of men if it came down to survival of the fittest, including the Amish!
These men are the most highly trained warriors, in all phases of survival modes. And without a doubt, if it ever came to surviving with just the bare basics, That's where you'll find me and mine. Right behind them, as they Lead The Way!
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

I know that personally, if electricity got cut off tomorrow, never to be turned on again, I would struggle to keep myself and my family alive.
/snicker....there is a new invention called a generator. You can probably find one at a Home Depot or Lowe's. I see this 'topic' tossed around on several forums..."Could you survive without power/electricity/government/etc?". I have enough ammo and gasoline to make a go at it. 8)
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

There used to be a series of books in print called Foxfire. I have several of them. They go into explicit details on building log/sod roof cabins, primitive furniture, planting, holistic medicine, etc. I think Tater Nuts probably wrote them all, because they hail from his part of the country. :lol: Pretty good books, if you can still find them. Here's the link:

http://www.foxfire.org/prodFFbooks.html

RLTW
EP
Last edited by Earthpig on October 29th, 2006, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I can see it now, there'd be little ArmyRanger.com villages popping up all over the CONUS.

Kinda be like Little House on the Prairie, 'cept with lots of guns and chics and stuff... :twisted:

"C'mere Half Pint....come see Uncle Cams. Let me show you how to perform a functions check on this type of rifle. After that we'll go over range cards and such, then I'll show ya how to properly deploy this little baby here, it's called a claymore Honey, cool huh?" :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

cams wrote:I can see it now, there'd be little ArmyRanger.com villages popping up all over the CONUS.

Kinda be like Little House on the Prairie, 'cept with lots of guns and chics and stuff... :twisted:

"C'mere Half Pint....come see Uncle Cams. Let me show you how to perform a functions check on this type of rifle. After that we'll go over range cards and such, then I'll show ya how to properly deploy this little baby here, it's called a claymore Honey, cool huh?" :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
You laugh, but you're probably right on the money! :lol:
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Draco wrote:I have enough ammo and gasoline to make a go at it. 8)
I don't have a generator but,I got enough ammo to be king of the looters when I go into town :lol:
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I have a generator (it's built into the motorhome :D ). Couple that with about 5000 x 12guage shells, 1000 x 9mm, about 450 x .32 and at least 500 x 30.06, and my family is setup quite nicely.

I HAVE FIRE! :D

But dayum.. what will I use this awesome laptop for!?! :(
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
LLUbetterhalf
Tadpole

thought of those options!

Post by LLUbetterhalf »

Warriorwife wrote: These men are the most highly trained warriors, in all phases of survival modes. And without a doubt, if it ever came to surviving with just the bare basics,
No insult intended. I know Rangers are taught survival. Farming and survival are slightly different skills. Ranching and survival are slightly different skills. Making clothing, making soap, making candle wax, making perserves, canning your own veggies, smoking your own meat, are all a step above basic survival.

Ranger LLU and I discuse this sometimes. I know that we could survive and that's one of the things that I love about him!!!! I want to know how we would live; not just survive. Could we be comfrotable? Could we have a good life?

As for the generators, well, let's take it that next step... with out electricity how long would the fuel supply last? How do you get the fuel to run the generators?

Let's even take it the next step... Without fuel you can't just drive to the market to get food, clothes, etc. You have to provide for yourselves, 100%. If you don't have any land you can't grow any food or raise any animals. Yes, with weapons you can take what you need but at what cost to your honor? At what cost to the morals that you Rangers hold dear?

Just food for thought. Thanks for the input!
Goog
Ranger

Re: thought of those options!

Post by Goog »

LLUbetterhalf wrote:
Warriorwife wrote: These men are the most highly trained warriors, in all phases of survival modes. And without a doubt, if it ever came to surviving with just the bare basics,
No insult intended. I know Rangers are taught survival. Farming and survival are slightly different skills. Ranching and survival are slightly different skills. Making clothing, making soap, making candle wax, making perserves, canning your own veggies, smoking your own meat, are all a step above basic survival.

Ranger LLU and I discuse this sometimes. I know that we could survive and that's one of the things that I love about him!!!! I want to know how we would live; not just survive. Could we be comfrotable? Could we have a good life?

As for the generators, well, let's take it that next step... with out electricity how long would the fuel supply last? How do you get the fuel to run the generators?

Let's even take it the next step... Without fuel you can't just drive to the market to get food, clothes, etc. You have to provide for yourselves, 100%. If you don't have any land you can't grow any food or raise any animals. Yes, with weapons you can take what you need but at what cost to your honor? At what cost to the morals that you Rangers hold dear?

Just food for thought. Thanks for the input!
Every time you post, I tend to like you less and less each time. I would do fine if the shit hit the fan. I am plenty well trained and adapt to making it on my own. I am sure the rest of the Rangers here from the Regt would as well too. We would all be warlords within our prospective zip code or codes.

And second of all you have indecision in you msgs. The 1st aspect of survial, besides the basic needs (shelter, water, food, etc) is the will to survive. The belief that unconditionally no matter how hard "the suck" gets you wil come out on top.

Let me tell you something about morals as well, I would do what I had to to keep living. "The strong wil survive". Cannibalism (break out the salt baby) whatever, but I would live. I would not think twice. My family and I would live.
90-94 A co 3/75 RGR Regt (2plt/HQ/Wpns)
94-97 75th RGR Regt (Pre-RGR)
Graduated Ranger Class 2-92 "Merrills Marauder"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

How would I survive? Very well, and well armed, thank you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

cams wrote:I can see it now, there'd be little ArmyRanger.com villages popping up all over the CONUS.

Ranger, I thought that is the base plan for Pastors Ranch. I mean besides watching 250lb lesbians brawl. :wink:
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams
LLUbetterhalf
Tadpole

Thank you!

Post by LLUbetterhalf »

Thank you for the information Old Grunt! I am definately going to check out the information! (The Foxfire Series!) I am starting a collection now. This kind of stuff really intrests me. I've never had my own garden and I am reading on it now. Different plants cause different PH in the soil which helps other plants grow better or worse and that type of thing. I would liek to start a small garden next year. It would be nice to start to become self-sufficient. Even to the point of raising a beef cow and a pig for slaughter every year. I'm not sure if I am willing to go all the way to raising chickens. I did that once and it was messy!

This all stemmed from an arguement between me and Ranger LLU. I enjoy the discussions and input.
Last edited by LLUbetterhalf on October 30th, 2006, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

How would I survive.
1 year of rations set aside x 4 people. Generator runs off butane, 750 gallon tank, runs for an hour a day to pump water, keep cold stuff cold. Texas weather allows planting 10 months a year. Guns...plenty. Bullets...mucho plenty. Game and wild life...good shape. Cattle in surrounding area, numerous. (Rustle a few for sure.) 200 gallons of gas always on hand. Trips on 4 wheeler to local farmers. Fire wood. Enough for about 1 year.
^ month first harvest, could can enough to last another 1.5 years, 2 nd harvest another 1.5 years.ect.....Manual pump handle and motor should generator go out. 2 ponds for fish and occasional bath.

Leve people alone, help when you can to people in the circle. Others back off or die. Thieves, gangs, roving idiots: Target Practice.

That it?
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”