Where were you and what did you you that day?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Where were you and what did you you that day?

Post by SkyShark »

I was in bed and my sister called me. I answered and she says, "what do you think?" I said, "About what?" She said the World trade Center and the Pentagon have been attacked by planes crashing into them. I got up turned the TV on and just stood there.

Went to work for about an hour and then was sent home. I went to my sons day care and just held him for a while. Left and went to the locval recruiters office and helped them out answering phones all day.
It's all good.
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

I was in my 9th grade math class...word came that the Twin Towers had been hit so we watched on the new as we did our work. I just happened to look up when the 1st tower started to collapse. I said something to the affect of "O shit! It just collapsed" and from then on everyones eyes were glued to the tv. Almost all cell phones stopped working, and alot of kids were pulled out of school, and some left, in fear for their parents who worked down in NYC.

A kid I went to school with, his father was a firefighter killed that day. May he RIP.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

I was holding down the couch in Ft. Living Room after having been laid-off from my IT gig in June. I had fallen asleep on the couch, and woke up around 3AM, and was surfing GlockTalk, working on some job apps, and looking at the online job sites. I saw a thread about a plane hitting the tower, and had the initial thought that it was a private aircraft. I went and turned on the TV and saw the 2nd plane hit and woke up my wife.

I spent some time sitting there watching the whole event unfold getting pissed off. I printed out some Bin Laden images and took them to the range and spent a bit of therapeutic time with the Bushmaster.

I don't think I've ever watched as much TV in a short a period of time. My son and I were doing the Cub Scout thing, and his pack collected things to send to NYC for the Twin Towers site. I have a picture somewhere of those 8 year olds in front of the county courthouse that day.

I'll also always remember the Cole, as thats the day my wife and I flew to Tahoe and got married.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

I was a drill SGt in Ft Jackson and it was my last cycle. we were conducting key leader rehersals on the graduation field. The BC called all of us over and had us leave early to go back to the company areas due to "something big in NYC". before I got back to the barracks i had heard on the radio about how the first Building had been hit. When I got in the company area my DS partner had pulled the Dayroom TV into the breeze way and the Pvts were gathered around. watching the tower burn. As I walked up I asked my partner what happened.....As he turned to answer the second plane hit....After a long pregnant silence I said out loud "we just went to war with someone"....I will never forget the looks on those Pvt's faces who had joined for the college fund.

I came off the trail 2 days later, and reported to Ft Bragg the same day.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

After a long pregnant silence I said out loud "we just went to war with someone"....I will never forget the looks on those Pvt's faces who had joined for the college fund.
wow
It's all good.
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

I was vacationing in southern Wyoming, staying in a plush cabin w/satellite TV. We had just returned from some rough trail riding, when we turned on the TV to see the footage being repeated.

My father (Army E8 ) and brother (Air Force E8 ) were put on alert and phoned to say they were going to "be out of town for a bit".

I sat there watching for at least 6 hours..and getting pissed-off the entire time. It was difficult to explain to my young sons (my eldest was 7, my youngest was only 2) what had just transpired.

Needless to say, we were all saddened and PISSED! :evil:
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

I was at work at the Regt. S3 of 11th Regt.

Heard about the Pentagon first, walked across the building to the S1 and told them that some fuckhead loser tried to blow up the Pentagon. We made fun of him and kept a light tone until more reports came in and we found out just how bad it was. After that, we went into freak the fuck out mode, making phone calls and such to get Fort Benning locked down, get the MPs setting up checkpoints, set up the some damn acronym or another at Bldg 4 and all that good stuff.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
Everett Ruess
Ranger

Post by Everett Ruess »

At the rigger shed in Kaiserslautern getting ready to head home for the day. My wife calls and tells me a plane hit one of the twin towers. Like SW I'm thinking it's some little private plane. She calls me back and said a second one hit so they knew it was no accident. Funny thing is I'm still thinking it's small planes. I get home to see what's really going on on AFN. Of course in Europe it was afternoon which means all the kids (mine included) were at home watching cartoons (AFN shows them in the afternoon - after school) when they get interrupted with the news that a plane hit the tower. From that point on it was 24/7 news on AFN until about day four or five when they finally went back to semi-normal programming. For the next week or so it took an hour or more to get on base everytime. The rigger shed was a building all alone (it was officially called "rigger kaserne" :lol: ). We had to maintain 24 hour guard on it. Within days of the attacks we started a TRIADS mission for Afghanistan that ran 24/7. (TRIADS is a means of delivering MREs without parachutes and without cases falling out of the sky crushing people) All of this while I was outprocessing the Army. My household goods had been shipped just a few days before Sep 11. I picked a great time to get out :roll: . Felt like I was abandoning my brothers but the wheels were already in motion.
HHC 1/75 '92
OIF 07-09
197th STC (SO)(A)-present

Sua Sponte!

Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent - that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman and loves only a warrior.
Friedrich Nietzsche
SmileyTFJ

Post by SmileyTFJ »

I was on Ft. Bragg when the first plane hit the tower. I immediately got off post (before it got locked down), got my daughter from day care and went home. My eyes were glued to the TV, praying for everyone involved.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I was at home, sleeping, because I was flying nights. my girlfriend called, told me to turn on the news, and tell her what was happening, because the office was going crazy with gossip. saw the first building burning and heard that a plane hit it, talking heads didn't have a good grasp yet. I was relaying what they were saying, what I thought. then I saw the second plane hit live. told her it wasn't an accident, because I wasn't sure up til that point. talked to her some more, and mulled around the house, finally went to work. flights were canceled til further notice. we talked about who we were going to be fighting and where, and how soon. I knew the phones were ringing at certain units and was mad that I wasn't there to be getting a call.

then my post emtied as units were tagged for security missions. We had a BDE in Boznia, and mine was the only BN level unit left on post. so we sat and watched Afghanastan get taken. we were at work when 3ID LD'd and we watched them cross the berm into Iraq. said a prayer for good hunting because I knew guys flying at the very tip of the conventional spear.

I left my unit on a normal PCS a week after they got their deployment order. joined 3-7 Cav after they came home. they got shut down, and I get sent to Polk after they came home, to move here. I'm still waiting to go.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Mr_Handsome
Ranger

Post by Mr_Handsome »

Tenn-RGR wrote: I hate muslims. :evil:
B Co 3/75
1996-1998
Nugget
Ranger

Post by Nugget »

I woke up and went to the VA office at school to get my shit squared away for the quarter. It had already happened by the time I got there. I sat down in front of the VA lady and she says, " so what do you think about what happened?" I had no clue and just gave her a generic answer, " Tragic...it was horrible."
I flew home and turned on the TV, that's all I did was watch TV all day. I'm in the guard, so everybody was callin me asking if I was going anywhere.
A Co 1/75 1996-2000
Class 9-98

"I'm not the best medic, but I'm YOUR medic"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I was in the office of the Rick Wagoner (Chairman of General Motors) at the Renaissance Center - the tallest building in Detroit. His security detail burst into the room and we were evacuated - get this - before the employees got the word to evacuate.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “The Mosh Pit”