Where were you and what did you you that day?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Irish_Army01
Embryo

Post by Irish_Army01 »

was on my way to a shopping center with my wife and kids..first heard it was a small Cessna type aircraft too..until I got to the shopping center and really saw what was going on...

the shopping center was empty..we went home to,and watched the news for the rest of the day.
Fail to prepare.....prepare to Fail...
CakerX
Embryo

Post by CakerX »

Ironicly enough, I just got out of an engaging philosphy class, in Jersey City, a mere 3 miles from ground zero.

A rare apolitical great philosophical type. who'd screw with your head for 2 hours in the morning, and make you think real hard about anything. He'd get inner city types theorizing, analyzing, and actually THINKING critically.

He walked into class to tell us the world trade center was hit, and class was canceled, we thought it was one of his head games for about ten minutes.

Walking outside, there was this slight smell of something putrid which would only intensify. Turning on the news we confirmed that it was real. I walked out on the roof and watched a giant pillar of smoke then went home
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

I was in my senior year of high school and in Spanish class at the time. I was doing my homework and listening to my walkman when i heard it. The next thing I knew me and my buddy Gonzalez were being called on the intercom to report to our Reserve units, we were both split-op. We ended showing up to the unit, they realized we hadn't been to AIT yet and they just had us sit on a briefing then sent us home. It was crazy. My husband was actually in Germany with the 557 Ground Ambulance company. They were supporting 2nd Bn I think They all thought they were going to go but never got papers.
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I was pushing stud through CIF at RTB.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

We were living in GA at the time. I had just dropped off my oldest at school, and was taking the youngest on a run. We were rounding the first corner of the park when one of the other regular runners said that a plane had hit the WTC a little while ago, but reports were that is was a cessna... about 1/4 of a mile later she said that a plane hit the Pentagon. My heart about stopped; a very good friend of mine was supposed to be there. So I immediately ran home and started dialing her cell. Busy, busy, busy.... about an hour later she picked up - her trip had gotten canceled. I think that was the longest hour of my life.

That was the first experience I ever had with feeling such wonderful relief and such great sadness at the same time.

All the images that were shown that day... they were all so awful. But I think what really shook me, was seeing those poor people as they ran away from the 1st collapsing tower - the fear on those faces still catches my breath just thinking of it. Even though I knew it, I could not believe that this was NYC...
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."
Mule
Tadpole

Post by Mule »

I faked sick from school that day. I got to see everything on TV. My Dad was at O'Hare that day and said they were evacuated from the airport.
KKovac B Co. 2/75
Ranger

Post by KKovac B Co. 2/75 »

SkyShark wrote:
After a long pregnant silence I said out loud "we just went to war with someone"....I will never forget the looks on those Pvt's faces who had joined for the college fund.
wow
wowx2
B Co. 2/75 (88-92)
Ranger School Class 10-90
Operation Just Cause 12/20/89
freefalle7
Ranger

Post by freefalle7 »

I was picking up 200 new Infantry recruits from 30th AG :D

Needless to say their outlook on life changed after I told them about the WTC and let them watch CNN as they showed the planes impacting on the Towers.

Yes it was a day we will never forget.

FREE
Ranger Class # 06-07

A trp 1/17 CAV 82nd ABN DIV 91-95
F co 51st INF (LRS)(ABN) 95-97
A co 1/325 82nd ABN DIV 97-99
Aco 2/19 INF ITB 99-02
B co 3/504 82nd ABN DIV 02-03
HHC 82nd ABN Div 03-07
Currently on orders to 6th RTB
blueridge
Paratrooper

Post by blueridge »

Sept. 11, 2001 was my son's first birthday and we had a party planned for that afternoon. I had a few things that momma had tasked me to get done that day (prep for junior's party), so I took the day off. Not much on the list, and I had all day, so I figured I could get 9-holes played and still have plenty of time in the afternoon. I teed-off (alone) around 8:00 am, and by the 3rd or 4th hole was feeling pretty good (although a little confused) about being the only player on the course. 'Bout halfway through, one of the grounds keeper kids asked me if I'd heard what was going on....said a plane had flown into the WTC. I said "wow, that sucks" figuring some dipshit lost control of his Cessna. Didn't get the whole story until I went to have a drink at the turn. I sat in the clubhouse, just me and the teenage girl working the desk and bar (she's a wreck) watching the tube for 3 hours until I got through to my wife on the cell...
Party was postponed....we haven't celebrated my son's birthday on the actual day since.
3/47 inf. '89-92
2 ACR '92-'93
1/509 PIR '93
1/116th inf, 29th ID (light) '95-'98 (VA guard)
Finished-up my guard time as an Abrams driver in an OH Guard cav. unit, never got Cav MOS qualified, so I can proudly say I stayed true to the one true faith (11-B) 'til the end.
RetPara
Ranger

Post by RetPara »

I was chaperoning a group of sixth grade boys at sixth grade camp for his grade school in south central Michigan. We were moving from one 'activity' to another. One of other adults had been TM'd about the first tower. Since we were walking by the parking lot (which was the only place I had cell coverage) I tried to turn on the radio and turned on my cell phone. I had two VM's from my wife and three from my daughter... My BIL was supposed to be in the WTC area that day for meeting, but didn't attend. HH6 was upset because she could reach him or her SIL. DD was really upset, it playing live on all the TV's in her High School.

We had a meeting of all the adults leaders later that morning; before lunch on what to tell the kids. A private Arab school out of Dearborn that was there had packed up and left by 10:30 AM (the camp is in what was strong Michigan Militia membership area). We elected not to tell the kids anything, but there had been an airplane crash when we put the flag at half mast the next day. A couple of parents came and got their kids and took them home, but the parents weren't the most stable in town anyway.... We put a entrance control point by the road, more to prevent a non-custodian parental abduction than anything. Some of the kids did leave every night for sports and other activities. They and their parents were asked not to bring it up with the kids when they returned. Bear in mind these were all sixth graders and we honestly didn't know what to expect. We couldn't see the point of canceling it all and going home, its been a school tradition for well over 20 years now. Unsaid, some of us were afraid it might be the last innocent good time for some of these kids.

Ted and I had to leave one for a Youth League FB game. It was really weird at the game since we are under the main airline flight path from Chicago to Detroit.... NOTHING in the air... no contrails, no private planes... NOTHING. Before the first game as it was starting to get dark I see a couple of planes. The field lights come on and I can see the planes angling towards us. The National Anthem starts to play and just before it ends, two F16's out of Selfridge ANG Base come over (big MI on the tail) loaded. Hell of a way to start the seaon.

A hell of a week....
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I was in Kosovo. We went from the starters to the bench really fast.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Julieanne
US Army Veteran

Post by Julieanne »

Just reflecting...

Rest peacefully, to all who have been lost.

Many thanks to those who have stepped up since.
~Julie
XVIII ABN Corps, Desert Storm Jan '91-May'91
319th MI BN May '91-Sept '93

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice."

Return to “The Mosh Pit”