What's the difference between...

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

JC
Egg

What's the difference between...

Post by JC »

the Army Rangers and the Army's Green Berets? As a Ranger, do you guys get to go into countries first before the regular infantry does? What's the difference between a regular infantry soldier and an Army Ranger (Infantry) soldier?
josh1485
Egg

Post by josh1485 »

Do some reading before asking such a general/ dumb question
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: What's the difference between...

Post by Earthpig »

JC wrote:What's the difference between the Army Rangers and the Army's Green Berets?
I asked my Captain at the Sheriff's Dept. that same question when I was getting ready to enlist (he was a former SF). This was his reply:

"If you had a squad of Rangers down in a valley and ordered them to take the enemy stronghold on the neighboring hill, which was occupied by a battalion of enemy troops, the Rangers would circle up, fix bayonets, butt heads, and take that hill."

"If you had the same scenerio with a team of SF soldiers, the SF dudes would find a shady area, kick back under a tree, pop the top on an ice cold case of beer, and call in an air strike."

This, of course, was said as a joke, but is really not all that far off. Special Forces have an entirely different mission than Rangers. One of the main missions of SF is to go into a third world country and build guerilla forces and 'armies' from the ground up. They must be able to speak foreign languages fluently and be able to train foreign soldiers-to-be in ALL aspects of warfare....from combat grunt, to support, to missile launching, etc. They also often lead these troops into battle.

Rangers, on the other hand, are utilized as a hard-hitting, fast moving elite airborne infantry unit. Their missions might include seizing enemy airstrips, securing perimeters for 'snatch and grab' mission (ie Jessica Lynch rescue), or assaulting elite enemy unit strongholds.

SF units are more lax (from what I've observed as an outsider) in their individual discipline than Rangers. I'm not saying they aren't as good, just that they are more laid back. Rangers can almost go overboard at times with their motivation/discipline. HOWEVER, this is needed and when a Ranger steps out of the garrison area to venture out on post, EVERYONE knows he's a Ranger. Rangers carry themselves a certain way and are always squared away in their uniform, etc.

Both units are superb at what they do and are both to be respected.

JC wrote:What's the difference between a regular infantry soldier and an Army Ranger (Infantry) soldier?
It's like night and day. I never heard of anyone failing a piss test in my company during my stay in 2/75. Ask a regular leg if they can say that about their company. There are some damn fine soldiers in the leg units, but there are also some dorks, who could get you killed. There are no dorks in a Ranger Bat....they weed them out, right off the bat. Rangers also do frequent Airborne Ops, legs don't. Rangers walk, jump, or swim to their objective...they have no Humvees, Bradleys, etc. Getting a ride in the back of a truck is even a rarity in a Ranger Bat.

The differences are too many to list. There is plenty of info available for you to research these questions further. Good luck.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
PaleHorseRider
Tadpole

Post by PaleHorseRider »

hey josh, last time i checked you were a DEP like the rest of us, so why dont you wait till you have some credentials to berate someone else for asking a question. in the mean time, STFU and let the real Rangers respond to questions, ok?
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

"STFU and let the real Rangers respond to questions"
PaleHorse you need to shut the fuck up yourself dude. You've "responded" to plenty of questons. I think you need some credentials before you can start flaming fellow DEP'ers.

:arrow: And it's RANGER to you.
Master J

Post by Master J »

ok boys,knock it off......and earth pig that was one hell of a responce!!!these boys are damn lucky to have some one that knows his shit,take the time to help them out.hooaah!!
PaleHorseRider
Tadpole

Post by PaleHorseRider »

when i responded, asshole, i didnt berate someone, so dont tell me what to do you worthless little nothing. anythign ive responded to i answered to the best of my ability, and never called anything a dumb question...wtf does jc know, and wtf do you know?
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Jody-
Thanks, Bro......I'm starting to wonder if they really even want answers...almost appears from the constant 'DEP bitch-slapping' that they're just racing to see who can post the most questions/personal slams. Oh well, their loss, not ours.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

I agree with jody, that was a hell of a response... 8)
wtf do you know?
I dont know jack shit, but guess what....neither do you.
PaleHorseRider
Tadpole

Post by PaleHorseRider »

i never claimed to know anything....get your facts straight before you try to put me down you unorganized, grabasstic little shit. (i'd like to thank Mr. Ermey for helpin me with that comment)
DGhost
Embryo

Post by DGhost »

I have an idea. why don't BOTH of you shut the hell up?
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

Good idea
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

jody wrote:ok boys,knock it off
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Voting

Post by Ranger »

Last time we had a vote before we booted a jackass off of here. I don't feel inclined to have one this time, so if I see more of this BS, you're both toast.

Understood?
DO NOT PM ME

Return to “The Mosh Pit”