SF Lifestyle

An area to disuss Special Operations Training. Do not violate OPSEC
airborne_bluezman
Ranger

SF Lifestyle

Post by airborne_bluezman »

I am considering going SF, eligible to attend SFAS in march 08. I'm curious of the lifestyle and pace being on an ODA. Are you gone all the time? How is it having a family?
I am not currently married, but just curious.

thanks,
jeff
07-06
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

these guys seemed to like it
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Re: SF Lifestyle

Post by madslashers1-2 »

airborne_bluezman wrote:I am considering going SF, eligible to attend SFAS in march 08. I'm curious of the lifestyle and pace being on an ODA. Are you gone all the time? How is it having a family?
I am not currently married, but just bi curious.

thanks,
jeff

I think you should go you'll fit right in.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

airborne_bluezman wrote:I am considering going SF, eligible to attend SFAS in march 08. I'm curious of the lifestyle and pace being on an ODA. Are you gone all the time? How is it having a family?
I am not currently married, but bi just curious.

thanks,
jeff
Well, you definitely have to have at LEAST one divorce to get selected in SFAS. That is a pre-requisite. :wink:
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

GSXRanger wrote:
I am not currently married, but bi just curious.

thanks,
jeff
Well, you definitely have to have at LEAST one divorce to get selected in SFAS. That is a pre-requisite. :wink:

No divorces, but I got my shit!
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
The Old Guy
Ranger

Post by The Old Guy »

The lifestyle is different than in Regiment. The pace is similar, but there are so many variables on the how you get slotted to a team (HALO, Scuba, long hair, ruck team, etc). The personality of the team is formed around the Team Sergeant and his background.

It is a great assignment, but time in Regiment, pushing troops and learning the fundamentals to combat operations is paramount. You must be firmly grounded in combat operations from the Squad level to the Battalion level.

RLTW
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances – to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Viktor E. Frankl
Kaltherz

Post by Kaltherz »

Motherfuckers are lazy as hell man. They don't do shit when they're in Garrison.

That's not true at all, it totally depends on the team man. I mean, if you're on an FID team that does a lot more direct action/kinetic type stuff you're going to be doing something different than if you were on a team that is going out to a more docile AO whose function is going to be heavily PR and atmospherics. If that makes sense at all.

Bottom line: One of the things I've noticed about group as a whole that's so different than many other units is that we don't just sit on our thumbs all day
if there isn't shit to do. "Keep your cell phone on" is my shop's motto. Because of group's more rapid OPTEMPO, time off is critical. With only a short time in the rear, career enhancing/military schools like HALO or Combat diver/SCUBA, Ranger, etc. take up quality time with the family or just time off in genral.

GSXRanger: True story man, I'm on Hold status over that shit.
Tupac

Post by Tupac »

SF is gay. The Q-course is gayer. I should have never left battalion.

Just kidding. Sort of. :wink:
Kaltherz

Post by Kaltherz »

What's gay about the Q course?

Only experience I had with it was supporting Robin Sage as a guerrilla (twice, fuck being the only private in the MID), which was a blast.
cback0220
Tadpole

Post by cback0220 »

Kaltherz wrote:What's gay about the Q course?

Only experience I had with it was supporting Robin Sage as a guerrilla (twice, fuck being the only private in the MID), which was a blast.
Alot of stuff, but you take the bad with the good! You should come and find out!
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its warriors and its scholars will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
Tupac

Post by Tupac »

Lots of things. It would take to long to explain.

You know why I know you're gay?

You put your BCT and AIT battalions in your sig line.
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Timmy wrote:
Lots of things. It would take to long to explain.

You know why I know you're gay?

You put your BCT and AIT battalions in your sig line.
OH SNAP!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Echo 2/19 Drill SarGENT!!!!!
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Kaltherz wrote:Motherfuckers are lazy as hell man. They don't do shit when they're in Garrison.

That's not true at all, it totally depends on the team man. I mean, if you're on an FID team that does a lot more direct action/kinetic type stuff you're going to be doing something different than if you were on a team that is going out to a more docile AO whose function is going to be heavily PR and atmospherics. If that makes sense at all.

Bottom line: One of the things I've noticed about group as a whole that's so different than many other units is that we don't just sit on our thumbs all day
if there isn't shit to do. "Keep your cell phone on" is my shop's motto. Because of group's more rapid OPTEMPO, time off is critical. With only a short time in the rear, career enhancing/military schools like HALO or Combat diver/SCUBA, Ranger, etc. take up quality time with the family or just time off in genral.

GSXRanger: True story man, I'm on Hold status over that shit.

And you know all this with your extensive team time, right? I'll bet your the support guy with the long hair, sideburns with his hands in his pockets all the time. You know why Group gets gay? Because the support guys think they're entitled to act like team guys, which pisses off all the Sergeant Majors', who impose all the Regular Army shit on us because they're also getting tired of the post CSM calling them saying "you SF guys are dirt bags" when it's the support guys acting like dirt bags.

Motherfuckers are lazy as hell man. They don't do shit when they're in Garrison.

Lazy motherfuckers huh? Where in the fuck do you get off calling any team guy lazy? I work hard when I need to. If I don't, I won't. Besides, HHC is hardly known as a main effort entity, know I mean?

Timmy, cback0220. Maybe you guys should actually finish the course and get assigned to a team before saying it's gay. Just a thought. It's like saying Battalion is gay and you haven't even finished RIP yet. Yeah, the course is gay, but pay attention to what's being taught. Coming from Batt, the guys on your team will expect you to pick up the ball and run with immediately. Put your best foot forward and don't make the Regiment look like a bunch of prima donas'.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

This gets better with each post. Besides... it's only gay if you make eye contact. 8)
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “Special Operations Training”