Changes in the SFQC

An area to disuss Special Operations Training. Do not violate OPSEC
Psywar1-0

Post by Psywar1-0 »

Yes I know there is a war going on, Regional Orientation means nothing these days, guys with red flashes are in the sandbox and all that.

But, FID is the core mission of SF, with DA and all the others secondary.

In the big picture of USASOC, Language and Regional Orientation are what seperates SF from Rangers, and to a lesser extend, Psyop and CA also.

The regional Orientation was a stumbling block when we set up 940. Alot of folks saw no reason for a special Det, instead prefering the old way of doing things where the entire TAC Bn with its regional oriented companies being able to send teams to support Regiment, depending on where you were gettng deployed.

Each side of the argument has merit.
Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

Fair enough. I apologize for misunderstanding you.

It has been a long day of meeting the local government, and hearing them bitch and complain about the Polish, and when are the Americans coming back. It tends to make a fella a wee bit grumpy.

I found, however, we tend to rely on our experiences as team leaders and squad leaders, before we went SF, to conduct FID. I've utilized what little Arabic I know more in other missions than I have in FID.

Slan Leat,

RS
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

C Co, 1/75; 92-00...HHC, 1/75; 00-02
Psywar1-0

Post by Psywar1-0 »

DP,

Yes Ive spent some time under a ruck, and some time on FID missions with teams, and even some time as a support Pogue in HHC Group. Im Not SF, but I feel I have a pretty decent handle on what FID is, having done it both on AD and in my current employment as a contractor.

My use of FOG was a term of endearment, not a dig. Please accept my humble apology.
18Z5V
Triple Canopy

Post by 18Z5V »

Well something has to be done and increasing the DLPT to 1/1 is a start. When I finished the Q, the standards was a 0+/0+ which isn't much. It doesnt help that there wasn't a big push for MSA, Farsi, Pashtu, Dari, etc until after 911. Hell, my AOR is PACOM with my language for a country that we can't even go to. Yet, here I was downrange learning Pashtu and Dari.

Besides, how often do you guys do FID or a JCET in your target language? I'm not talking about Spanish sorry 7th and 20th. I meant like Thailand, Indonesia, Korea, Phillipines, Nepal, Malaysia, Japan, etc with PACOM AOR.
RS 12-93
SFAS 06-01
SFQC 04-01
Psywar1-0

Post by Psywar1-0 »

In some respects same with me, I never spoke a word of Portugese after I left school until I started working with some Brazilian Blackhawk Pilots and Mechs in my current job.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

The language skills are the most fragile. We as a community need to use them regularly or they become less effective over time.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
18Z5V
Triple Canopy

Post by 18Z5V »

Jim wrote:The language skills are the most fragile. We as a community need to use them regularly or they become less effective over time.
You're absolutely right. However on a SFODA, I've never heard of a team where everyone speaks the same language (7th is probably a exception). Hence you have a hodgepodge of languages on a team designed for almost every country in your AOR. So depending on when you join your team, you could miss a JCET in your language and have to wait for years to go to your language country or your country could be one of those where JCET's are not allowed.

Hence language labs, internet newspapers, chatrooms, and restaurants are one way to sustain language skills. Of course knowing someone in your target language is even better.
RS 12-93
SFAS 06-01
SFQC 04-01
Poetryisdeath
Embryo

Post by Poetryisdeath »

I can see a wide variety of languages listed already just on this thread, but is there a comprehensive list of languages that this school teaches? Is it open only to Special Forces? Are the languages only the languages of hostile, or possible hostile countries?

My main question would be: Would German be included in this Language School?
Ranger Terry Welshan wrote:Run fast, stay awake, dont drown, dont fail, that should cover it.
I just want to do what I can for my country, with the best that I can.
18Z5V
Triple Canopy

Post by 18Z5V »

Poetryisdeath wrote:I can see a wide variety of languages listed already just on this thread, but is there a comprehensive list of languages that this school teaches? Is it open only to Special Forces? Are the languages only the languages of hostile, or possible hostile countries?

My main question would be: Would German be included in this Language School?
1) yes, on the ATRRS webpage. The school code is 331
2) No
3) No, it all depends on what teachers are available to teach SOLT that FY
4) German SOLT is taught at Bragg.
RS 12-93
SFAS 06-01
SFQC 04-01
Poetryisdeath
Embryo

Post by Poetryisdeath »

Thank you very much for your time, Triple Canopy 18C4V.

Gratefully, PiD.
Ranger Terry Welshan wrote:Run fast, stay awake, dont drown, dont fail, that should cover it.
I just want to do what I can for my country, with the best that I can.
Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

I'm still trying to get SWC to teach Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic.

Tir gan teanga; Tir gan anam. (Land without language; land without soul)
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

Der Professor wrote:Smiddy,

Then we could free the opressed!

Slainte

D.P.
I volunteer for the pilot team! :lol: :lol: Hey, it's still in 10th Group's AO. :lol:

TIOCFAIDH AR LA! :twisted:

We're joking Kilted Heathen; so don't start singing "...don't bury me in Erin's Fenian valley..." :twisted: :twisted:
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

Return to “Special Operations Training”