newspaper faces backlash after publishing map of gun permit

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

newspaper faces backlash after publishing map of gun permit

Post by Steadfast »

New York newspaper faces backlash after publishing map of gun permit holders

Published December 25, 2012
FoxNews.com
A local New York newspaper is drawing the ire of its readers after publishing an interactive map that shows the names and addresses of thousands of residents who have handgun permits.
The online map was published by The Journal News along with an article under the headline: "The gun owner next door: What you don't know about the weapons in your neighborhood."
The newspaper obtained, and then published, the names and addresses of pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12 ... z2G5oT213R
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12 ... z2G5oBCsam
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Re: newspaper faces backlash after publishing map of gun per

Post by RMP-RLTW »

I saw this yesterday on the 6.8 forum. My first thought was how they lump gun owners into the same category as pedophiles.

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I don't see the problem. If I was a gun owner identified, I'd do a "Letter to the Editor" telling him "You're God damned right I've got a gun permit, and a gun, so don't fuck with me. Tell all those two-bit hoodlums out there that if they fuck with me I'll blow their fucking head off!"

Why should anyone be concerened with the fact that some one knows about it....who gives a fuck?
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

TC204 wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:I don't see the problem. If I was a gun owner identified, I'd do a "Letter to the Editor" telling him "You're God damned right I've got a gun permit, and a gun, so don't fuck with me. Tell all those two-bit hoodlums out there that if they fuck with me I'll blow their fucking head off!"

Why should anyone be concerened with the fact that some one knows about it....who gives a fuck?
It also shows the hoodlums which houses to break into to steal guns. I think what they did should be illegal.
I think everyone (that does not have a weapon) in that neighborhood should run out and buy weapons and await their fate thanks to the newspaper.

I'd like to know if the Newspaper paid for each and everyone of them (FOIA)? Was the City or State in co-hoots with the newspaper giving away free information.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

The turd that violated people's 4th Amendment rights by violating their right to privacy also has a concealed carry permit and owns a .357. Another hypocritical, liberal douchebag.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Rangerguru wrote:The turd that violated people's 4th Amendment rights by violating their right to privacy also has a concealed carry permit and owns a .357. Another hypocritical, liberal douchebag.
Why am I not surprized?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Weapons stolen from N.Y. home of gun owner named on Journal News website

excerpt of story: "The burglary is still under investigation and there are no facts to support this correlation at this time," Clarkstown Sgt. Joanne Fratianni reportedly said in a statement.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/17/we ... z2IpxHghgb
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “The News Dump”