AF Disciplines Pilots for Low Flyover

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

AF Disciplines Pilots for Low Flyover

Post by C-MAC »

College football + jets flying 400 knots 16 feet above the press box. What could be better? I dunno, maybe the Bud Girls sitting in your lap? Apparently the AF didn't see the humor in this. More proof the guys in the skies are becoming "pussified".
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The Air Force says six pilots who participated in a spectacular flyover before an Iowa football game have been disciplined for flying too low and too fast. The lead pilot is giving up his right to fly military aircraft.
Read More; http://tinyurl.com/3fenomn

Oh and this is useless without the video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCsyJas_ ... detailpage

Exit question; you are on the ground in a hot area. Would you want one of these guys providing CAS?
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: AF Disciplines Pilots for Low Flyover

Post by centermass »

Sorry C-MAC,

Technology beat you to it.

http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.p ... ad#p688848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

centermass wrote:Sorry C-MAC,

Technology beat you to it.

http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.p ... ad#p688848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, but did the bot mention the Bud Girls? Ever been up close and personal with a T-38? I think not. That has to count for something :lol:

Well it is a Ranger site and the bot is, well, theoretically a Ranger- so I will just slink away... :(
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:Smack, I like your post better than the bot's............... :)

Every USAFA football game I have attended has had a fly-over. Some liberal military hating douche bag from the area probably called and complained. Each year, preceding Fleet Week in San Fran, there are all kinds of complaints attempting to ban the Blue Angels........... :roll:
Thanks and x2 on the liberal military haters. Try living in New York State. We almost never get them here. They have one stop in NY this year- Rochester. It might as well be Canada. Last year the BA's made a rare appearance in LI. All most of those people did before and after was bitch.

The only time I can see the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds is when traveling over to McGuire or Atlantic City.
Ranger KW Driver
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

Riddle me this four jets involved but 6 pilots disciplined? I know the T-38 is a 2-seater trainer... but the numbers just don't seem to add up.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

sorry, but 10' AHO at 400 kts? that's a tad close and I'm not the smartest safety monkey in the business.

they exceeded their briefs. they disobeyed a set of orders essentially. just cause it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

what would have been the impact of just one of those birds clipping the stadium?

because 10' AHO/400 KIAS is a RCH away from spectacular disaster.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Achoo.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

I'm betting somewhere, somehow, someway......there just HAD to be a hot chick involved....
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

CloakAndDagger wrote:Riddle me this four jets involved but 6 pilots disciplined? I know the T-38 is a 2-seater trainer... but the numbers just don't seem to add up.
I am betting that two probably questioned the altitude, "cooperated" with the investigation or had something worthwhile in their records to warrant additional consideration. The AF didn't release enough information to really know why.
Ranger KW Driver
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

KW Driver wrote:sorry, but 10' AHO at 400 kts? that's a tad close and I'm not the smartest safety monkey in the business.

they exceeded their briefs. they disobeyed a set of orders essentially. just cause it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

what would have been the impact of just one of those birds clipping the stadium?

because 10' AHO/400 KIAS is a RCH away from spectacular disaster.
At the end of the day, I won't defend this Chief and get your point. These guys are professionals and should have stuck to the rules.

But it could have been a simple matter of instrument settings (BAM vs. RAM) or that the AF does not have a standard rule/altitude for flyovers (I don't believe) like other branches (I think the NAVY is 1,000 ft/RAM).

Either way, there seems to be some brass ass-covering and complaints from someone which always conveniently don't make it into the story. Again, no excuses and the board obviously felt there was enough to clip their wings.
Ranger KW Driver
LEROY
Ranger

Post by LEROY »

My fiance and I were at a Georgia Tech game that something similar happend...

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/family- ... 92423.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
H Co 121st LRS 00-14
RS Class 07-09
ARNG-WTC Schools NCO

Return to “The News Dump”