MA State Trooper Killed In The Line of Duty

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
cams
Ranger/Moderator

MA State Trooper Killed In The Line of Duty

Post by cams »

A Veteran Massachusetts State Trooper was killed in the line of duty this week, struck by a drunk driver on Interstate 95 and killed while in the midst of a traffic stop on a different party already stopped for suspicion of DWI.

Sgt. Douglas Weddleton leaves behind a loving wife and four children.

Rest in peace Brother.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=n ... aJA7pra-LA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Buzz
Ranger

Re: MA State Trooper Killed In The Line of Duty

Post by Buzz »

Rest in Peace.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Our last local LEO L.O.D. death was the same thing: killed by a drunk dirver while on a traffic stop. Said drunk was convicted of vehicular manslaughter and a 'couple hundred' lesser charges and got the max.

RIP Trooper and condolences CAMS.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Rest In Peace, Trooper.

The thin blue line got a little thiner, but we shall hold.

Prayers out to the family.

Nationwide, 9 State Troopers have been killed in the Line Of Duty this month. :(
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

cams wrote:A Veteran Massachusetts State Trooper was killed in the line of duty this week, struck by a drunk driver on Interstate 95 and killed while in the midst of a traffic stop on a different party already stopped for suspicion of DWI.

Sgt. Douglas Weddleton leaves behind a loving wife and four children.

Rest in peace Brother.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=n ... aJA7pra-LA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder if there is any statistical information on what percentage of LEOs die this way every year compared to all other causes. I'll bet it's very high. I damn near hit a cruiser making a stop about three weeks ago. I was doing 65 mph on our newly re-paved US 160. They did a beautiful job, of course with $200 million in stimulus money I guess they should have. The 160 runs right next to my property and is the busiest east/west highway in Southern Colorado. They didn't just re-pave it, they built the old highway up 6" higher than it was, then extended the shoulder lanes out an extra foot on each side. Then they built up hard packed gravel another two to three feet off the shoulder lane. In short, a cop and his perp can get way the hell off the main artery by at least 4 feet or more. So why do I see so many cruisers about 6" off the white line dividing the main artery from the shoulder during traffic stops?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Can't speak for other department, but as a Trooper, I am required to use my patrol vehicle to protect the person that I have stopped, even if that means putting myself in danger. I cannot make motorists pull over and stop where I want them to. I can only try to choose a good location to turn on the lights and hope they pull over in the area that I have chosen. So, if someone pulls over in bad area, or close to the fog line because the shoulder is narrow, then I have to get behind them and protect them. So to a passing motorists, it may appear that the LEO is doing something " wrong " or that the LEO should have pulled over here, there, etc. etc., but in the real world ( unlike the movies ) people are gonna pull over and stop in some pretty bad areas. As a LEO, I can't leave 'em hanging out there, gotta go protect them........yes....even the stupid ones.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Agreed Ranger513, and all too often they just stop in an way that puts us both in danger. I have walked up to a car, got their drivers license and vehicle paperwork, and told them where to move their car to. All that being said...

RIP brother.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Pull one lane over and away and if you can't, slow down.......

Your watch is over Brother, because another idiot decided it was ok to pilot a missle after getting "F'd" up.

Prayers to his family, friends and Brothers who put themselves in harms way, every day.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

RIP Brother.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992

Return to “The News Dump”