Lost WWII battlefield found

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Redrose100
Soldier

Lost WWII battlefield found

Post by Redrose100 »

An Australian trekker said he has discovered the site of a significant World War II battle in the jungles of Papua New Guinea, complete with the remains of Japanese soldiers right where they fell almost 70 years ago.

Former army Capt. Brian Freeman, an expert on the Kokoda Trail – a 60-mile trek through rugged mountainous country and rainforest of the island – said Monday he was led to the Eora Creek battle site where he found the remains of the soldiers.

The site about half a mile from the village of Eora Creek was believed to be the location of the last major battle that was pivotal in Australia’s campaign against the Japanese in Papau New Guinea.

Although the site was known to local villages, jungles reclaimed it after the battle of Eora Creek. Although locals hunted on the plateau surrounding the site, they avoided the 600-square-meter battle ground because of a belief that spirits of the dead were still present in the "lost battlefield."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/07/lo ... ed/?hpt=T3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Re: Lost WWII battlefield found

Post by rgrokelley »

Its always the last place you look!
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

TC204
US Navy Veteran

Post by TC204 »

I remember hearing stories about Japanese soldiers holding out on some islands years after the war ended, they couldn't be convinced that Japan surrendered.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Redrose100
Soldier

Post by Redrose100 »

I believe the last few Japanese holdouts surrendered or were captured in the mid to late 70's. But back in 1988 I was visiting family in the Philippines near the Air Base in Batangas and the locals would tell the children stories of all the evil Japanese still hiding in the woods. Note that these are the same folks who believe that there is a big old pile of Japanese gold tucked away in the mountains. According to the hunters and loggers there were still a few living up in the mountains but as they were not attacking anyone they were left alone.

I read portions of a book written by one of the holdouts years ago. Interesting read regarding how he and his counterparts maintained their cell over the years. There were a few Japanese soldiers living on one of the islands we dove off of who had not returned to Japan after the war, I will assume deserters as the locals did not eliminate them after the war, and they also mentioned that on occasion they would see a fellow traveler out in the forest.

I have also heard that there were several holdouts in Indonesia.

I doubt anyone would have been able to hold out for more than a few years where this battlefield was found. If memory serves the locals in this area enjoy serving visitors up in a fine BBQ.

Return to “The News Dump”