defendmichael.com

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
proudpop
Ranger Dad

defendmichael.com

Post by proudpop »

An Army Ranger, 1st Lt. Michael Behenna has been convicted of murdering a known terrorist named Ali Mansur in Iraq. Lt. Behenna is now serving a 25 year prison term. There is an effort to overturn this conviction through the appeals process. His parents have set up a web site with the information needed to help this young man. In the last few years we have seen Marines arrested for killing terrorists, Navy Seals going to trial for punching a terrorist, and here in Arizona we have Border Patrol agents being tried for shooting drug dealers. In each of these cases, public support has helped right a wrong. Please look at defendmichael.com and spread the word about this young soldier that is serving time, rather than serving his country.

Thanks, GE father of two Army Rangers RLTW
US Navy Tin Can sailor 1961-65. Proud father of Two Army Rangers. RLTW
Boudicca
Tadpole

Re: defendmichael.com

Post by Boudicca »

I am well aware of this situation as both he and I are "Okies". He's from Edmond, OK.

I signed his petition for a new trial and am keeping an eye on it pretty closely.

Thanks for bringing it up.
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

It has already been reduced from 25 to 20, now 20 to 15.. But 15 years at Leavenworth still blows.
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
KK52

Post by KK52 »

That's what happens when we let Liberal judges get involved in the process. We need a standing provision which essentiall provides that "what happens in the military, stays in the military". Haul the accused into court under the UCMJ, conduct a court-martial if appropriate, sentence accordingly if found guilty of wrongdoing. But somehow, I find it difficult to comprehend how "in Iraq" and "known terrorist" and "murder" actually belong together in the same sentence.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

KK52 wrote:That's what happens when we let Liberal judges get involved in the process. We need a standing provision which essentiall provides that "what happens in the military, stays in the military". Haul the accused into court under the UCMJ, conduct a court-martial if appropriate, sentence accordingly if found guilty of wrongdoing. But somehow, I find it difficult to comprehend how "in Iraq" and "known terrorist" and "murder" actually belong together in the same sentence.

The "liberal judge" was a Soldier. The prosecutors were Soldiers. The jury were Soldiers. This was a court martial performed under the UCMJ. Courts martials operate under different rules from civilian trials, and in such he would have had a better opportunity for a not guilty verdict or a lesser sentence under a guilty verdict.

What reeks about this case is that none of the jury officers were combat veterans. How hard is it to find seven officers in the 101st who haven't been deployed? The prosecution suppressed evidence that would have significantly aided the defense, and yet both the presiding military judge and TWO general officers have refused to grant a new trial. As I understand it, the prosecurtors have not even been admonished, reprimanded or disbarred. Now that is bullshit.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

The guy that was killed might have been a bad guy, but he wasn't the guy Behenna thought he was. There is a lot more to the story than what is public , but the bottom line is, a jury of his peers judged him, found him guilty, and sentenced him. I could go on for days about this case, but the bottom line is there is a difference between murder and killing during combat operations, and in this case, it was not a combat op, and it wasn't a justified killing, which made it murder.

As far as not being able to find "combat" experienced officers in the 101st to sit on the jury, it was probably because pretty much the entire division was deployed between Iraq and Afghanistan at the time the trial was convened.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08

Return to “The News Dump”