Texas constable's office defends Tasering of grandmother

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Texas constable's office defends Tasering of grandmother

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Silverback wrote: at what point in a person's life do they become unaccountable for their actions?
Remember Dick Cheney and his negligent shooting of another hunter. I wonder why he wasn't tased ? Oh yeah he signed the........ I wonder why there wasn't a charge ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

I watched the video and thought he did the right thing.

That being said, I've got a lot of respect for the LEO's on this board and would be interested in how some of you might have handled it differently. Specifically.

Bob, to your point, wouldn't you be concerned if you had to manhandle her that could have made the situation worse? Or that she might break a hip? She already signed the ticket and was making a move to try and get back in her vehicle. What next? Keep in mind that very busy road with less than 2 feet of shoulder right behind them.
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

She had a couple of choices to make; she chose poorly. She got what she asked for.

Can't wait to see how she acts towards the judge... he better have his tazer handy. :lol:
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Chiron wrote:I still don’t think tazing old folks is okay. Whether or not they deserved it it’s still wrong. Besides it’s not like she did something WRONG or worth the time to discipline her. Imagine she had the write to contest the ticket and go to court. How this ended up this way to me was the fault of the LEO. He should have saw that the lady has an issue, which wasn’t worth the trouble. The day that people start to fear law enforcement is the day that the state becomes a police state. Hitler used his brown shirts and got his way. All I’m saying is that sometimes a bit of humanity goes a long way. I’m soft you say? I guess so when it comes to the elderly. Most of them are standing with one foot in the grave and are fed up with life’s problems so why make it worst?
Brother, you need to come spend some time in one of the Walmarts in the outskirts of suburban Atlanta. You might want to Taze a few cotton toppers yourself.

I can't figure out where the concept came from that somehow reaching Old Fart status suddenly makes someone a decent human being. A douche bag at 40 will probably be a douche bag at 80. Just with their left blinker stuck on.

RangerX walks away grumbling about fat old fuckwits riding scooters around Walmart like they own the fucking place, nearly squashing RangerX's daughters toes in the meantime.....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

O/C could have taken the wind out of her sails just as well.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

When I get older, I'll have to try stealing shit I dont' want and then pretending to forget about it when I get caught.

I'll keep a sling-shot on my porch to shoot the neighborhood kids and cats with while I sit around cackling for no particular reason.

I figure all it takes is to say some stupid shit every once in a while, and you're "good to go".

("How you doin' ? -- "mayonnaise?".)
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Invictus wrote:Bob, to your point, wouldn't you be concerned if you had to manhandle her that could have made the situation worse? Or that she might break a hip? She already signed the ticket and was making a move to try and get back in her vehicle. What next? Keep in mind that very busy road with less than 2 feet of shoulder right behind them.
I think the entire way he handled the stop was fucked up. He went from 0-100 in seconds (not that you shouldn't be able to.....I just don't think this warranted that response). Once he made the decision to arrest her (or instanter her for speeding, as it would be called in the Texas Traffic Code), he should've gained immediate control of her person. Looking at her size and body movements, that shouldn't have been tricky at all. He should've been able to manipulate a pair of cuffs on her without breaking her bones. She wasn't going for his gun, and she wasn't trying to assault him. She gave a feeble attempt at resisting. She also agreed to sign the ticket...albeit after the officer had made up his mind to cuff her.

From the second she said, "Take me to jail," he should've used at least a soft-hand tecnique to get her to the rear of the vehicle. Then, the second she started to buck up, he would've already had ahold of her, and could've easily got her facefirst against the tailgate. He seemed more concerned about his citation book and later, his taser. He didn't have his hands free to do much of anything. His cuffs should've been in his hand before she had two feet on the ground.

I agree that the woman asked for it. She was spouting her age from the very beginning, like she was above all that. She also said in her interview that the report (based on the video from the patrol car) was all a lie. Riiiiight. She had an agenda. I just feel like a properly trained LE officer could've handled that infinitely smoother and without the use of a taser.

Constables in this state have a horrible reputation. In Houston, their ranks consist primarily of guys who were DXed from the Sheriff's Dept or PD. Or guys who never made it that far. I've seen some massively fucked up scenes, thanks to those guys. But, that's another topic....

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Right or wrong tasing a grandmother presents a negative image kind of like beating Rodney King.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Right or wrong tasing a grandmother presents a negative image kind of like beating Rodney King.
Which is excatly what she was counting on.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

EarthPig wrote:
Invictus wrote:Bob, to your point, wouldn't you be concerned if you had to manhandle her that could have made the situation worse? Or that she might break a hip? She already signed the ticket and was making a move to try and get back in her vehicle. What next? Keep in mind that very busy road with less than 2 feet of shoulder right behind them.
I think the entire way he handled the stop was fucked up. He went from 0-100 in seconds (not that you shouldn't be able to.....I just don't think this warranted that response). Once he made the decision to arrest her (or instanter her for speeding, as it would be called in the Texas Traffic Code), he should've gained immediate control of her person. Looking at her size and body movements, that shouldn't have been tricky at all. He should've been able to manipulate a pair of cuffs on her without breaking her bones. She wasn't going for his gun, and she wasn't trying to assault him. She gave a feeble attempt at resisting. She also agreed to sign the ticket...albeit after the officer had made up his mind to cuff her.

From the second she said, "Take me to jail," he should've used at least a soft-hand tecnique to get her to the rear of the vehicle. Then, the second she started to buck up, he would've already had ahold of her, and could've easily got her facefirst against the tailgate. He seemed more concerned about his citation book and later, his taser. He didn't have his hands free to do much of anything. His cuffs should've been in his hand before she had two feet on the ground.

I agree that the woman asked for it. She was spouting her age from the very beginning, like she was above all that. She also said in her interview that the report (based on the video from the patrol car) was all a lie. Riiiiight. She had an agenda. I just feel like a properly trained LE officer could've handled that infinitely smoother and without the use of a taser.

Constables in this state have a horrible reputation. In Houston, their ranks consist primarily of guys who were DXed from the Sheriff's Dept or PD. Or guys who never made it that far. I've seen some massively fucked up scenes, thanks to those guys. But, that's another topic....

RLTW
EP
Good points, thanks. Hard to argue with your assessment and reasoning.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Boudicca wrote: I'll keep a sling-shot on my porch to shoot the neighborhood kids with while I sit around cackling for no particular reason.".)
Don't wait until you're old, I have loads of fun with that now! :twisted:

The minefield warning signs make nice conversation started with the locals LEOs as well.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

EP or other texans; what's this 'constable' thing? You made it sound as if they are not full-fledged LEOs. What is this? Some sort of auxilery?

(We have 'police auxiluries' at the city level up here who have no authority beyond crowd control and are not armed. They get LEo training, but that's probably more to keep up their morale than anything else. Some real goofy wanna-bes in their ranks)

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

K.Ingraham wrote:EP or other texans; what's this 'constable' thing? You made it sound as if they are not full-fledged LEOs. What is this? Some sort of auxilery?

(We have 'police auxiluries' at the city level up here who have no authority beyond crowd control and are not armed. They get LEo training, but that's probably more to keep up their morale than anything else. Some real goofy wanna-bes in their ranks)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Constable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

an interesting construct. Thanks SB.

RS 9-76

Return to “The News Dump”