Texas constable's office defends Tasering of grandmother

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Chiron
Ranger

Re: Texas constable's office defends Tasering of grandmother

Post by Chiron »

Silverback wrote:I understand the moral disinclination to tasing a geriatric...but at what point in a person's life do they become unaccountable for their actions? Maybe right about the time they shouldn't be allowed to drive?
Maybe this will or should lead to her drivers permit being revoked.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

EarthPig wrote:I think the entire way he handled the stop was fucked up. He went from 0-100 in seconds (not that you shouldn't be able to.....I just don't think this warranted that response). Once he made the decision to arrest her (or instanter her for speeding, as it would be called in the Texas Traffic Code), he should've gained immediate control of her person. Looking at her size and body movements, that shouldn't have been tricky at all. He should've been able to manipulate a pair of cuffs on her without breaking her bones. She wasn't going for his gun, and she wasn't trying to assault him. She gave a feeble attempt at resisting. She also agreed to sign the ticket...albeit after the officer had made up his mind to cuff her.

From the second she said, "Take me to jail," he should've used at least a soft-hand tecnique to get her to the rear of the vehicle. Then, the second she started to buck up, he would've already had ahold of her, and could've easily got her facefirst against the tailgate. He seemed more concerned about his citation book and later, his taser. He didn't have his hands free to do much of anything. His cuffs should've been in his hand before she had two feet on the ground.

I agree that the woman asked for it. She was spouting her age from the very beginning, like she was above all that. She also said in her interview that the report (based on the video from the patrol car) was all a lie. Riiiiight. She had an agenda. I just feel like a properly trained LE officer could've handled that infinitely smoother and without the use of a taser.
Constables in this state have a horrible reputation. In Houston, their ranks consist primarily of guys who were DXed from the Sheriff's Dept or PD. Or guys who never made it that far. I've seen some massively fucked up scenes, thanks to those guys. But, that's another topic....

RLTW
EP
After reading and thinking the “elderly citizen” issue…

First you don’t fuck with the old, as they tend to have experience. Second if they are pressed into a fight they go for broke. Third they may not have all their wits about them. Lastly the press will have a field day with it.

I like EP’s response.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

EarthPig wrote:...
Constables in this state have a horrible reputation. In Houston, their ranks consist primarily of guys who were DXed from the Sheriff's Dept or PD. Or guys who never made it that far. I've seen some massively fucked up scenes, thanks to those guys. But, that's another topic....

RLTW
EP
You got that right Ranger EP, they are more like ex-security guards that got there TCLEOSE cert by mail.

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Based on my recent trip to Texas, is doing 60 in a 45 even wrong ?
only if you pass the cop in front of you.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

AngryPistols wrote:

RLTW
EP
You got that right Ranger EP, they are more like ex-security guards that got there TCLEOSE cert by mail.

Angry
Thats bullshit. They have the same credentials the SD does and more than HPD in most cases. Constables are broken down into precincts and some do suck but only because of who leads. Same can be said for a shit load of Sheriff dept and PD's. Most of the ones I have encountered have been pretty decent cops. Some sorry mother fuckers too. But, show me a PD that doesnt have a SMF (Sorry Mother Fucker) ratio.

As for the tazering. Fuck that blue headed skank. He did it and I wish he would have fried the cotton off her head. Stupid bitch bowing up to a cop who is just doing his job. I hope her arteries collapse and her vagina swells shut.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Rock Island Ranger wrote: I hope her arteries collapse and her vagina swells shut.
maybe that's why she was cranky....
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:
AngryPistols wrote:

RLTW
EP

Angry
Thats bullshit. They have the same credentials the SD does and more than HPD in most cases. Constables are broken down into precincts and some do suck but only because of who leads. Same can be said for a shit load of Sheriff dept and PD's. Most of the ones I have encountered have been pretty decent cops. Some sorry mother fuckers too. But, show me a PD that doesnt have a SMF (Sorry Mother Fucker) ratio.

As for the tazering. fuck that blue headed skank. He did it and I wish he would have fried the cotton off her head. Stupid bitch bowing up to a cop who is just doing his job. I hope her arteries collapse and her vagina swells shut.
Things may be different now, but when I was working in Houston, that was fact. Don't know if you ever heard of TXXXy MXXXn or not (Pct. 5). Every one of his deputies got fired from the SO. No shit. Maybe they got their shit together after I moved away.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Bcosniper
Ranger

Post by Bcosniper »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:Hahahaha! The screams at the end of the video were great.

She brought this down on herself. I'm glad he tazed her ass. Could he have cuffed her without tazing her, and without using so much force as to break her brittle bones? Tazing her may have been the less damaging method of controlling her.

Yes, this is how I saw it as well.
Bco 2/75 1st Plt, Webco
1990-1996
RS 12-91

All you got to do is breeeeaaatth and squeeze
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Yeah, he could have handled it differently. Possibly at the time when she walked back to the rear of her vehicle then stopped. He told her to move, to get her away from traffic, she refused, he moved her, and it went south from there. Instead of pushing her, he could have just taken control of her there and hooked her up ..... but.

At the end of the day, I wasn't there, he warned her repeatedly, he wa responsible for her safety in a dangerous environment, she was being a bitch, and flat our stated "I dare you" when he warned her that if she didn't comply with his commands she would be tazed. The uppidy old bag got the longest five seconds in life. Mabye she ain't too old to learn to do what the fuck the popo tells her to on a stop, but I doubt it.

The old fart thing doens't fly with me though. Old women can be hateful and brutal. I recently dealt with a wheelchair rollin', cracked out blue hair who pulled a blade out of her sleeve and disemboweled some poor schmuck, and never got out of her chair.

At the end of the day, she went safely to jail, and he went home alive, so I say more power to him. He was fucked PR wise either way he went, whether it was hands on or less lethal.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Jenny Lynn
Tadpole

Post by Jenny Lynn »

K.Ingraham wrote:
Boudicca wrote: I'll keep a sling-shot on my porch to shoot the neighborhood kids with while I sit around cackling for no particular reason.".)
Don't wait until you're old, I have loads of fun with that now! :twisted:

The minefield warning signs make nice conversation started with the locals LEOs as well.
Ranger K.Ingraham,
So it was you they based the movie Gran Torino on??? :lol: Jenny
Jenny
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.” Galileo Galilei

"If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right” Marcus Tullius Cicero

"By special Pastoral appointment."
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Chiron wrote:This made the news over here. It looked like the law man was not in control and well tazing a 73 year old woman was the wrong way to go about it. He could have really hurt her. Poor old lady. What if she had a heart condition? Or some other medical issue... He should have used his LE skills and not the tazer. Hell he should have called for back up. Imagine if this where a 20 year old... This LEO needs to do some PT and stop cowering at the site of a 73 year old woman.

Imagine the next day at the shop.... "You had to call for back up on a 73 year old woman!" Oooo that would have hurt more than the tazer. :roll:
Unless you have been tasered yourself, or been trained on its use, you are making an uninformed statement. There is no doubt that this officer could have physically restrained this old lady. The taser is a less lethal tool. It is instantly incapacitating in most cases, but only as long as the taser is activated (5 seconds per trigger squeeze). Once the taser stops, the pain stops and the person has control of their muscles. My agency like most has 4 levels of response, No Force, Ordinary Force, Moderate Force, and Deadly Force. The taser falls within the Ordinary Force, because it is designed to gain compliance without causing injury. Since the use of tasers began the number of reported injuries to both suspects and police officers is down drastically.

If you watched the video in this case the lady was completely out of control, and didn't obey one single command by the officer. They were along the edge of the roadway. What would everyone be saying if she had stepped out into the roadway and was struck by one of those passing cars? Of if the officer was pushed/ slipped or stepped back and was hit. If he had gone hands on with her, there could have easily been an injury to her. Old people's bones are very brittle. I've seen arms broken on more then one occasion by these old bastards, resisting arrest.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

Constable's office said...........fuck you, I'm elected. She needed the double wire dance.
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz

Return to “The News Dump”