Texas constable's office defends Tasering of grandmother

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Silverback
Ranger

Texas constable's office defends Tasering of grandmother

Post by Silverback »

Law enforcement officials in Travis County, Tex., where Austin is located, are standing behind the actions of a constable who used a Taser on a 72-year-old woman during a May traffic stop, the Austin American-Statesman reports.

The officials say the officer acted properly in a "dangerous situation" after Kathryn Winkfein, who was pulled over for speeding, allegedly resisted arrest, according to the incident report, the paper says.

Before the video was released, Winkfein told her side of the story to MyFox7, the local TV station in Austin, saying "I wasn't argumentative I was not combative, OK? This is a lie, all of this is a lie. Pulled away from him, I did not."

Full Story with Video
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Texas constable's office defends Tasering of grandmother

Post by Earthpig »

Wow. This lady obviously thought she was above getting a citation. On the other hand, this Constable is a waste of a badge. He was obviously scared of her, as his voiced cracked over and over. If he was unable to place a set of cuffs on an old woman like that, he has no business neing on the street. But, such is the Constable in Texas....

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

She was an idiot, no doubt. But I concur with EP. Seems soft/hard hand techniques have been mentally replaced (with taser usage only by some) and lost completely was the proper escalation of force.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

centermass wrote:proper escalation of force.
I my opinion this is a vastly underrated skill for all personnel trained in the use force. Of course EOF can be taken to ridiculous levels but when properly trained a person can transition from verbal commands through the process to the use of deadly force very quickly.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

But...she did beg to be tazed!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

This made the news over here. It looked like the law man was not in control and well tazing a 73 year old woman was the wrong way to go about it. He could have really hurt her. Poor old lady. What if she had a heart condition? Or some other medical issue... He should have used his LE skills and not the tazer. Hell he should have called for back up. Imagine if this where a 20 year old... This LEO needs to do some PT and stop cowering at the site of a 73 year old woman.

Imagine the next day at the shop.... "You had to call for back up on a 73 year old woman!" Oooo that would have hurt more than the tazer. :roll:
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Bcosniper
Ranger

Post by Bcosniper »

I saw the video on this and I think he was in the right. She was obviously beligerent and obviously felt that her age entitled her to special treatment. He repeatedly warned her and she didn't listen. As far as escalation of force goes, what would have been better a scuffle or just a hit with the taser and be done with it. In either case, the officer is made the bad guy. I think way too much emphasis is being placed on his actions and not enough on hers. She wouldn't have been tased if she had just signed the ticket and went on her merry way.
Bco 2/75 1st Plt, Webco
1990-1996
RS 12-91

All you got to do is breeeeaaatth and squeeze
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

I don't care who it is or why it happens but I always laugh like hell when I see someone get tazed.

She asked for it!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Based on my recent trip to Texas, is doing 60 in a 45 even wrong ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I still don’t think tazing old folks is okay. Whether or not they deserved it it’s still wrong. Besides it’s not like she did something WRONG or worth the time to discipline her. Imagine she had the write to contest the ticket and go to court. How this ended up this way to me was the fault of the LEO. He should have saw that the lady has an issue, which wasn’t worth the trouble. The day that people start to fear law enforcement is the day that the state becomes a police state. Hitler used his brown shirts and got his way. All I’m saying is that sometimes a bit of humanity goes a long way. I’m soft you say? I guess so when it comes to the elderly. Most of them are standing with one foot in the grave and are fed up with life’s problems so why make it worst?
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

A Tazer=$385.00 A speeding ticket, $150.00. Watching an old lady flop on the ground like a minnow on hot pavement....PRICELESS.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Chiron wrote:I guess so when it comes to the elderly. Most of them are standing with one foot in the grave and are fed up with life’s problems so why make it worst?
Except for you Andy. You're going to out live all of us. :lol:
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I understand the moral disinclination to tasing a geriatric...but at what point in a person's life do they become unaccountable for their actions? Maybe right about the time they shouldn't be allowed to drive?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Hahahaha! The screams at the end of the video were great.

She brought this down on herself. I'm glad he tazed her ass. Could he have cuffed her without tazing her, and without using so much force as to break her brittle bones? Tazing her may have been the less damaging method of controlling her.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I always figure that when an LEO gives you a warning and you ignore it and smart off and resist, gives a second warning and you ignore it and smart off some more and resist, third, fourth and fifth warnings and you smart off and resist, well, you've got it coming. What would have happended to him if he had to man-handle her to put the cuffs on and she slapped him and a scuffle occurred with the old lady? Physically forcing an old lady's hads behind her back could have probably broken her wrists. She deserved it no matter her age, and because of her age she should know better than to act like an asshole.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “The News Dump”