Social Security benefits going up by 5.8 percent

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RTO
BANNED

Social Security benefits going up by 5.8 percent

Post by RTO »

Social Security benefits for 50 million people will be going up 5.8 percent next year, the largest increase in more than a quarter century.

WASHINGTON - Social Security benefits for 50 million people will go up 5.8 percent next year, the largest increase in more than a quarter century.

The increase, which will start in January, was announced Thursday by the Social Security Administration. It will mean an additional $63 per month for the average retiree.

It’s the largest increase since a 7.4 percent jump in 1982 and is more than double the 2.3 percent rise that retirees got in their monthly checks starting in January of this year.

Story Continues Here....
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Cool...now maybe it'll be empty before I hit 50!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Silverback wrote:Cool...now maybe it'll be empty before I hit 50!
Hell, Dan, I think they will have spent it all before I retire -- and I'm 64!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
coldsteal2
Veteran: US Army/US Navy

Post by coldsteal2 »

On the possitive side it also means that Disabled Veterans
Benefits will have a larger increase

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESIDENT SIGNS COST OF LIVING INCREASE FOR VETS

President Signs Compensation Increase

President Bush has signed into law legislation providing a 5.8 percent cost-of-living increase in VA compensation benefits.

The measure increases compensation paid to veterans with service-connected disabilities, as well as dependency and indemnity compensation for survivors of deceased veterans. Last year’s cost of living adjustment was 2.3 percent.

The benefit increase, to take effect Dec. 1, is pegged to changes in the Consumer Price Index, a key measure of inflation, and is tied to the annual increase for Social Security recipients. The increase, which applies to about 2.8 million veterans and survivors, will first appear in January VA benefit checks.
SGT USArmy Retired/Disabled
B 1/44 ADA 9th ID Ft Lewis 88-91 16R10 Vulcan Gunner
31M 63rd ARCOM 88 Oceanside CA
also
RM2 USN 1983-1988
NAVCOMMSTA SD 84-86
32nd ST NAVSTA 86-87
USS Merrill DD 976 86-87
NAS PENSACOLA Naval Aircrewman 87-88

Return to “The News Dump”