NEW ORLEANS faces evacuation as Gustav looms

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RTO
BANNED

NEW ORLEANS faces evacuation as Gustav looms

Post by RTO »

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - Three years after Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Louisiana coast, New Orleans residents on Wednesday again faced the prospect of an evacuation as Tropical Storm Gustav loomed.
Not since Katrina and Hurricane Rita, which followed in its wake, have residents faced government orders to evacuate their homes and businesses. Many are still struggling to rebuild their lives in a city famed for its jazz clubs and Mardi Gras festival.
On Wednesday, two days before the third anniversary of Katrina's August 29, 2005, landfall, Gustav drifted away from Haiti and the Dominican Republic after killing 22 people. It could hit the U.S. Gulf Coast around Monday.
The storm was expected to strengthen to a hurricane over the Gulf's warm waters, and U.S. landfall could be anywhere from the Florida panhandle to Texas.
But Gustav's most likely track is directly toward New Orleans.

Story Continues Here....
Last edited by RTO on August 27th, 2008, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

If it goes bad who get's the blame? The 'tards that didn't learn the first time that Mother Nature will plain kick your ass. Or the Corps of Engineers for not saying "FUCK IT" and refusing to rebuild New Orleans storm levie's like they should have.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Southoftheborder wrote:Imagine if it wiped the city out. After all that money spent to rebuild the first stupid idea. I'm crossing my fingers it does....
That makes two of us. Cesspool of American society.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

When Katrina was first making overtures towards New Orleans from the Gulf of Mexico, I made an offhand comment to a friend that "that toilet is about to get flushed". Only a few days later.......kawwoooosshhhh!!

I guess New Orleans is a "Two Flusher".
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Scuba Wino wrote:Hopefully, this one will finish what Katrina started.

No New Orleans? Is that really a bad thing?
Only for the guy who does those Girls Gone Wild videos.....

But there's always Panama City Beach.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

RangerX wrote:
Scuba Wino wrote:Hopefully, this one will finish what Katrina started.

No New Orleans? Is that really a bad thing?
Only for the guy who does those Girls Gone Wild videos.....

But there's always Panama City Beach.
The French Quarter was built on ground a few hundred years ago, and those folks knew what would go under water and what would not. They didn't have the benefit of government assistance. So when Katrina hit, Bourbon Street survived.

So plenty of "girls gone wild" to go around, thanks to our forefathers.

Were those guys smart or what? :lol:
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
dyks
Ranger

Post by dyks »

I flew into lakefront airport yesterday(northside NOLA) and there are still blue tarp roofs all over the place. Then drivin into the city you could see abandoned/condemned house all the way into town. Most of those neighborhoods are gonna be wasteland for a long time.

BTW the WW2 museum in the garden district is a good way to spend an afternoon. Highly recommend it.
B CO 3/75 96-98

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

I am in New Orleans right now.

Panic is hilarious when you are not the one doing it, kind of like not droning in Ranger school when everyone else is.

Bunch of fucking victims down here anyway, all looking for a handout.

I saw on the local news here that FEMA gave them the funding to knock down and rebuild 16,900 structures nearly 3 years ago. They have knocked down 6000 to date and are blaming the government as the government is attempting to hold them accountable. They sent the money to the Parishes here to localize the work and nobody did a fucking thing. All they want to do down here is complain.

Bourbon street was desolate, oysters were still good though 8)

Thank God my flight boards in 1 hour
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

JLTW!!! wrote:When I drove through downtown NOLA last September on my way back from Benning, it looked like fucking downtown Fallujah...sounds like it still does!!! Fuckin' crooked ass, welfare receiving moochers in that city being led by a crooked local government! ALMOST hate to say it, but hopefully this hurricane gets it right :evil:
I got a buddy who is a sheriff's deputy in the area. In the last year, he has slashed or stabbed by knives twice, and has taken AK fire (and successfully returned fire) once. He's a former MP, and he occasionally thinks about reenlisting and returning to Iraq because it would be safer.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

I've never been to New Orleans; I've always wanted to go to Mardi Gras. With that said, I hope Gustav and Hanna Cleanse that area of our country.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
dyks
Ranger

Post by dyks »

ANGRYCivilian wrote:I've never been to New Orleans; I've always wanted to go to Mardi Gras. With that said, I hope Gustav and Hanna Cleanse that area of our country.
Man, I love New Orleans, always have, always will. That being said, they do have a substantial number of shitheads on hand. I would know- I live in the city that got most of their criminal backwash after the flood. Our murder rate doubled in one week.

You hope a natural disaster "cleanses" a part of the country you've never been to? What part is that? The south? Or just the lower mississippi? You'll have to cleanse my nuts first.

A few of those people(residents of destroyed houses) are rebuilding, most of them(the poor) lived in rental properties, couldn't give a shit about their city, and are hopefully staying wherever they went. Good, fuck em and feed em fishheads if they can't man up.

To those of you with similar sentiments- Don't knock NOLA until you've banged a drunken LSU cheerleader on the hood of her father's BMW while a jazz troupe plays motivational music and your buddies pull security-two blocks off Bourbon st. God Bless America
B CO 3/75 96-98

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Return to “The News Dump”