US Army testing new jungle boots

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

US Army testing new jungle boots

Post by Flesh Thorn »

The Army is set to begin testing new jungle boots as the U.S. begins to refocus its attention from Iraq and Afghanistan to the Pacific region.

The Army will begin testing prototypes this summer and will run the boots through a series of tests, Military.com reported.

"We do this rigorous user testing because we want soldiers to trust and have confidence in their equipment so they can focus on their primary mission," Col. Robert F. Mortlock, the project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment, said. "And we've built up that trust over a number of years."

Read More
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: US Army testing new jungle boots

Post by rangertough »

Flesh Thorn wrote: "We do this rigorous user testing because we want soldiers to trust and have confidence in their equipment so they can focus on their primary mission," Col. Robert F. Mortlock, the project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment, said. "And we've built up that trust over a number of years."
Bullshit. They'll test 50 different boots and pick the one made in the state that has a congressman on appropriations.

If issue equipment was any good Oakley, Tactical Tailor, Garmin and Blackhawk (thieves that they are) wouldn't exist as we know them.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

rangertough wrote:
Flesh Thorn wrote: "We do this rigorous user testing because we want soldiers to trust and have confidence in their equipment so they can focus on their primary mission," Col. Robert F. Mortlock, the project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment, said. "And we've built up that trust over a number of years."
Bullshit. They'll test 50 different boots and pick the one made in the state that has a congressman on appropriations.

If issue equipment was any good Oakley, Tactical Tailor, Garmin and Blackhawk (thieves that they are) wouldn't exist as we know them.

Tough
Word.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I don't think it's possibly to make a jungle boot better than THE Jungle Boots. Although I only got to wear them for a short period of time before the transition to ACU's/desert boots... they were awesome, and I would wear them again in a heart beat.

If the Army is developing this new pair of jungles... it's like to come out doing to boots what the ACU's did to camouflage...
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Still have my last pair. HH6 will likely bury me with them.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Lefty wrote:
rangertough wrote:

Tough
Word.
Word?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Rangertough
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I can see where the Vietnam era jungle book can be improved. I always hated the stainless still sheet metal plate. I guess that due to my foot mechanics, it would always crack after a couple of months. The material for the sole could definitely be made out of something more forgiving like the sole of the Garmont T6.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Flesh Thorn wrote:I can see where the Vietnam era jungle book can be improved. I always hated the stainless still sheet metal plate. I guess that due to my foot mechanics, it would always crack after a couple of months. The material for the sole could definitely be made out of something more forgiving like the sole of the Garmont T6.
One of the first lessons I received from my team leader was how to remove the metal plate. Well, right after getting my ass smoked for being a fucking cherry.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

.[/quote]

Word?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk[/quote]

OK - X2, Concure, What He Said, Right On! etc. I'll even give you a milkbone.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Oh, I understood your meaning. It's that you used that expression that weirded me out. :P
Rangertough
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

rangertough wrote:Oh, I understood your meaning. It's that you used that expression that weirded me out. :P
OK, granted I am (in no particular order):
- a FOG
- living on the back side of the moon
- still using landlines
- barely able to use a keyboard
- unable to Twitter, Text, Vimeo, Flickr, etc.

I still remain conversant in the vernacular and am able to implement idiomatic expressions appropriately. :P
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Lefty wrote:
rangertough wrote:Oh, I understood your meaning. It's that you used that expression that weirded me out. :P
OK, granted I am (in no particular order):
- a FOG
- living on the back side of the moon
- still using landlines
- barely able to use a keyboard
- unable to Twitter, Text, Vimeo, Flickr, etc.

I still remain conversant in the vernacular and am able to implement idiomatic expressions appropriately. :P
Concure!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Lefty wrote:

Homey says what? I only caught about half that....

If I didn't bust your balls who would?

Oh everybody else on the board, your wife...and...and...and

Tough
Rangertough
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

goon175 wrote:I don't think it's possibly to make a jungle boot better than THE Jungle Boots. Although I only got to wear them for a short period of time before the transition to ACU's/desert boots... they were awesome, and I would wear them again in a heart beat.

If the Army is developing this new pair of jungles... it's like to come out doing to boots what the ACU's did to camouflage...
If you think the black ones were good, the greens were that much better.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

I bought myself a pair of the Black jungle boots when I was in, I pretty much wore them all the time, except when ordered to wear "all-leather boots" for some ceremony or another (or during my Afghanistan tour, but the desert boots at that point where basically just jungle boots, except in suede tan and no drain holes). At that time, there were still plenty of guys wearing the green jungles, but they weren't making them anymore. The main difference that I could tell between the greens and the blacks, were that the blacks traded the green canvas for black goretex.

About the only things the Army could do to improve on the jungle boot would be to replace that damn metal plate that always cracks (c-click, c-click, c-click - while walking) with something semi-flexible (kevlar, maybe?), replace the sole with a bit more resiliant rubber and maybe clog-stomper treds, and maybe something better than lowest-bidder insoles (last one wouldn't be a big priority, since most joe's replace them anyway).

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”