NYC to ban tobacco sales to anyone under age 21

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

NYC to ban tobacco sales to anyone under age 21

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Mayor Michael Bloomberg planned to sign landmark legislation Tuesday banning the sale of tobacco products to anyone under the age of 21, making New York the first large city or state in the country to prohibit sales to young adults.

City health officials hope that raising the legal purchase age from 18 to 21 will lead to a big decline in smoking rates in a critical age group. A majority of smokers get addicted to cigarettes before age 21, and then have trouble quitting, even if they want to do so.

The ban has limitations, in terms of its ability to stop young people from picking up the deadly habit. Teenagers can still possess tobacco legally. Kids will still be able to steal cigarettes from their parents, bum them from friends or buy them from the black-market dealers who are common in many neighborhoods.

Read More
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: NYC to ban tobacco sales to anyone under age 21

Post by Jim »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Mayor Michael Bloomberg planned to sign landmark legislation Tuesday banning the sale of tobacco products to anyone under the age of 21, making New York the first large city or state in the country to prohibit sales to young adults.

City health officials hope that raising the legal purchase age from 18 to 21 will lead to a big decline in smoking rates in a critical age group. A majority of smokers get addicted to cigarettes before age 21, and then have trouble quitting, even if they want to do so.

The ban has limitations, in terms of its ability to stop young people from picking up the deadly habit. Teenagers can still possess tobacco legally. Kids will still be able to steal cigarettes from their parents, bum them from friends or buy them from the black-market dealers who are common in many neighborhoods.

Read More
The Mommy-state continues to restrict our freedoms. Sad.!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

If a youngster is old enough to vote they are old enough to drink, smoke or go off to war.

That's why I'd never ever go to Hawaii again. Shipped to Vietnam via stop over in Hawaii, not allowed to drink under age of 21 but old enough to go to war. Fuck Hawaii & bloomdouches buddies.

Arrest every kid outside of school smoking a cig or even a doobie.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

This is actually a good thing for cash strapped NYC. The Mafia will have an even larger market for their cigarettes smuggled from North Carolina..... which they pay no Federal Taxes on. Then the Mafioso's will have more money to spend on silk suits, etc. which the State and Federal Governments manage to tax the shit out of. See, with the Mafias help, NYC may make it after all!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

60% of NYC's smokes are smuggled in

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/10/news/co ... -new-york/
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

On a visit to Ranger Jim I made sure to buy 2 cartons of smoke for $71 (on Ft Belvior) , saved me $43 dollars (compared to CGPX in S.I.) - The visit (to Ranger Jim) was worth more to me than the cigarettes.

I checked on Baseplates post & he is correct, a news story by Daily News
shows our Gov't allowing this to go on to support Hamas as the suspected amount made $55 million remains untraceable - how convenient.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”