USSOF Conduct Two Raids in Africa

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

USSOF Conduct Two Raids in Africa

Post by Flesh Thorn »

(CNN) -- U.S. military forces were involved in two separate operations in Africa -- one of them targeting a member of the group Al-Shabaab that was behind last month's Kenya mall attack, and the other going after an al Qaeda leader tied to bombings of two U.S. embassies.
The Al-Shabaab raid took place in Somalia, where that terrorist group is based, sometime in the past 24 hours, a senior U.S. official said Saturday evening.
The team of U.S. Navy SEALs had to withdraw before it could confirm whether it killed the target because they came under fire, the official said. The SEALs made the "prudent decision" to withdraw rather than engage in further combat, according to the official.

Read More
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: USSOF Conduct Two Raids in Africa

Post by Jim »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... a/2928631/ Good to know someone is carrying the fight to AQ.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

The first operation took place Saturday in the Libyan capital of Tripoli, when U.S. forces captured Abu Anas al Libi, an al Qaeda leader wanted for his role in the deadly 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa.

In the second raid, a team of U.S. Navy SEALs in southern Somalia targeted leader of Al-Shabaab, which was behind last month's mall attack in Kenya. The SEALs came under fire and had to withdraw before they could confirm if the leader was dead, a senior U.S. official said.
It's interesting how the unit for the Libya raid is simply referenced as U.S. forces or just 'special operations' forces. But as fucking usual, it's no damn secret who the hell was working in the HOA. :roll:
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:
The first operation took place Saturday in the Libyan capital of Tripoli, when U.S. forces captured Abu Anas al Libi, an al Qaeda leader wanted for his role in the deadly 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa.

In the second raid, a team of U.S. Navy SEALs in southern Somalia targeted leader of Al-Shabaab, which was behind last month's mall attack in Kenya. The SEALs came under fire and had to withdraw before they could confirm if the leader was dead, a senior U.S. official said.
It's interesting how the unit for the Libya raid is simply referenced as U.S. forces or just 'special operations' forces. But as fucking usual, it's no damn secret who the hell was working in the HOA. :roll:
As it should be.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Jim wrote:
SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:

As it should be.
2X

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Yup, no surprise there...
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

I like to watch the English-language China cable channel (CCTV). They ran this story this evening, but with a decidedly anti-US slant. They portrayed the SEALs as nothing more than cowards who ran away the second they came under fire at the Kenyan mall.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

hobbit wrote:I like to watch the English-language China cable channel (CCTV). They ran this story this evening, but with a decidedly anti-US slant. They portrayed the SEALs as nothing more than cowards who ran away the second they came under fire at the Kenyan mall.
Interesting. Link?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

hobbit wrote:I like to watch the English-language China cable channel (CCTV). They ran this story this evening, but with a decidedly anti-US slant. They portrayed the SEALs as nothing more than cowards who ran away the second they came under fire at the Kenyan mall.
They way I heard it was that they were going to be late for their salon appointments, so they had to pull off objective early.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Maybe I'm missing something here but Saturday's raid was conducted in Somalia not at the Kenyan Mall.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Jim wrote:
Interesting. Link?
http://english.cntv.cn/20131006/101491.shtml
The U.S. troops had to withdraw before they could confirm whether the target was killed as they came under fire, but no SEALs were thought to be killed in the operation, said the official
Probably a video clip in there somewhere.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

cams wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something here but Saturday's raid was conducted in Somalia not at the Kenyan Mall.
The Chinese quoted their source as "The Onion".
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

U.S. Navy SEALS from SEAL Team Six cut short their targeted operation against a top al-Shabaab commander in Somalia after a firefight at his seaside compound ended when they saw children and realized they could not capture their target.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10 ... latestnews

:lol: You can't make this shit up.
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:
U.S. Navy SEALS from SEAL Team Six cut short their targeted operation against a top al-Shabaab commander in Somalia after a firefight at his seaside compound ended when they saw children and realized they could not capture their target.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10 ... latestnews

:lol: You can't make this shit up.
Oh please. The SEALs saw puppies and kitties too. How on earth could they complete their mission with puppies and kitties on the battlefield?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”