US Embassy Closings

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

cams
Ranger/Moderator

US Embassy Closings

Post by cams »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/05/politics/ ... ies-close/

I thought Al Quada was on the run and basically decimated?

Or is this our Administration setting the example of what they want us to do in place of the Stand Your Ground Law? Just cut and run because someone threatened you.

Maybe we can get Joe to stand outside one of them and let a round fly from his shotgun, that oughta do it right?

Unreal.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Re: US Embassy Closings

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

It's unfortunate indeed. They seem to be wanting to avoid another Benghazi, but since this Administration seems unwilling to let Americans go in to defend other Americans(and for Americans on the ground to defend themselves with all available assets for that matter), maybe it's for the best. I couldn't imagine being that small contingent on the ground, being over run, knowing my countries senior leaders, due to political cowardice, would not allow help to come.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:It's unfortunate indeed. They seem to be wanting to avoid another Benghazi, but since this Administration seems unwilling to let Americans go in to defend other Americans(and for Americans on the ground to defend themselves with all available assets for that matter), maybe it's for the best. I couldn't imagine being that small contingent on the ground, being over run, knowing my countries senior leaders, due to political cowardice, would not allow help to come.
Concure!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Typical of this administration, they say 18 of 19, but there are two still closed:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/ ... 2020130810
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Headoutdaplane
Ranger

Post by Headoutdaplane »

Let's think about this: they know we have access to all their calls and emails, so all they do is set up a conference call make a couple of vague threats and they shut down the US State dept overseas. That is terrorism, creating change through fear. The reaction over Benghazi has made the gov't even more risk averse than it was. I am sorry that those folks in Benghazi died but they knew the risks of their job and where they were operating, I really wish people would make as big a deal out of an 18 year old e-1 being killed in Afg as they did an ambassador with friends in high places and a college degree.

We need to grow a set, in dangerous places people get hurt. Give the Marines guarding our embassies the ability (equipment and policy-wise) to protect our folks. But don't shut down everything based on some vague information in an effort to protect an intelligence gathering program exposed by an idiot.
Headoutdaplane
Hardrock 1/75 '83-'86
Class 2-85
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Headoutdaplane wrote:The reaction over Benghazi has made the gov't even more risk averse than it was. I am sorry that those folks in Benghazi died but they knew the risks of their job and where they were operating, I really wish people would make as big a deal out of an 18 year old e-1 being killed in Afg as they did an ambassador with friends in high places and a college degree.
I don't know about other folks, but the "big deal" for me in Benghazi is not that folks knew the risks of the job... it is that when there is a major Al Qaeda attack on a safe house (never was an embassy, or a consulate... more like a trailer with bars on the windows) and nearby US forces engage the enemy, they are ignored. They are not just ignored, but are intentionally left to die. Orders to all those who could have helped with some sort of QRF, are told to "stand down". Then to add insult to injury the whole gun running scheme, to send weapons to Al Qaeda in Syria, is covered up with some bullshit story about the Muslims getting angry about a film that no one saw, or even knew about until after the bodies are cold.

If this had been two Rangers who were left out to dry, begging anyone, please, send in support, then everyone on this list would be making a big deal out of it too. This has nothing to do with a State Department employee who had a college degree (really aren't sure he was even the ambassador... can't get that story straight either).
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

[quote="rgrokelley"][quote="Headoutdaplane"]The reaction over Benghazi has made the gov't even more risk averse than it was. I am sorry that those folks in Benghazi died but they knew the risks of their job and where they were operating, I really wish people would make as big a deal out of an 18 year old e-1 being killed in Afg as they did an ambassador with friends in high places and a college degree. [/quote]

I don't know about other folks, but the "big deal" for me in Benghazi is not that folks knew the risks of the job... it is that when there is a major Al Qaeda attack on a safe house (never was an embassy, or a consulate... more like a trailer with bars on the windows) and nearby US forces engage the enemy, they are ignored. They are not just ignored, but are intentionally left to die. Orders to all those who could have helped with some sort of QRF, are told to "stand down". Then to add insult to injury the whole gun running scheme, to send weapons to Al Qaeda in Syria, is covered up with some bullshit story about the Muslims getting angry about a film that no one saw, or even knew about until after the bodies are cold.

If this had been two Rangers who were left out to dry, begging anyone, please, send in support, then everyone on this list would be making a big deal out of it too. This has nothing to do with a State Department employee who had a college degree (really aren't sure he was even the ambassador... can't get that story straight either).[/quote]

This!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Bengazi needs to be investigated and detailed information needs to be released to the American public. Congress, who is supposed to have oversight on the State Department is woefully uninterested. Every member of Congress should be embarrassed. The only thing that can change our direction is a new slate of members of Congress. I fear for the Republic.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Jim wrote: I fear for the Republic.

There are a great many reasons to fear for the Republic - this is just one of them.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
That Guy
Ranger

Post by That Guy »

Headoutdaplane wrote:Let's think about this: they know we have access to all their calls and emails, so all they do is set up a conference call make a couple of vague threats and they shut down the US State dept overseas. That is terrorism, creating change through fear. The reaction over Benghazi has made the gov't even more risk averse than it was. I am sorry that those folks in Benghazi died but they knew the risks of their job and where they were operating, I really wish people would make as big a deal out of an 18 year old e-1 being killed in Afg as they did an ambassador with friends in high places and a college degree.

We need to grow a set, in dangerous places people get hurt. Give the Marines guarding our embassies the ability (equipment and policy-wise) to protect our folks. But don't shut down everything based on some vague information in an effort to protect an intelligence gathering program exposed by an idiot.

Word.
1/75 C Co
2004-2006

Hard times don't last, but hard men do.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70