Cartels hiring US soldiers as assassins.

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Cartels hiring US soldiers as assassins.

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Mexican cartels are recruiting hit men from the U.S. military, offering big money to highly-trained soldiers to carry out contract killings and potentially share their skills with gangsters south of the border, according to law enforcement experts.
The involvement of three American soldiers in separate incidents, including a 2009 murder that led to last week’s life sentence for a former Army private, underscore a problem the U.S. military has fought hard to address.
"We have seen examples over the past few years where American servicemen are becoming involved in this type of activity," said Fred Burton, vice president for STRATFOR Global Intelligence. "It is quite worrisome to have individuals with specialized military training and combat experience being associated with the cartels."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/01/me ... z2akNjIIeG
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Cartels hiring US soldiers as assassins.

Post by RangerX »

Weren't Los Zetas started by former Mexican commandos?
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

RangerX wrote:Weren't Los Zetas started by former Mexican commandos?
Yes
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Mexican Revolution all over again. History repeating itself, though this time it isn't to fix a government, but to keep drugs flowing. Back in the early 1900s former American soldiers also went south to earn a profit.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

I wouldn't call any of the idiots in this story "highly" or "specially" trained. In point of fact the likelyhood of the cartels recruiting any guys that could be described in that manner is slim.

I think most of the American Military can be compared to the Roman Legions. The Legions were a military force to be recond with, the Legionaire wasn't much to write home about. The strength of the Legion was teamwork; your average American Soldier isn't much in a one on one encounter either. There are of course exceptions.

It is very hard to find a fighting force throughout history that was composed of expert "Soldiers" and "Warriors" wrapped into the same individuals (the Spartans come to mind).

The article makes a fine point of the fact that American Service men can travel across the border easier and that is a much more logical and compelling argument for recruitment IMHO.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I feel like I have been hearing this rumor for at least 15 years.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Baseplate wrote:I feel like I have been hearing this rumor for at least 15 years.
At least!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”