NSA Data Center Causes Controversy

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

NSA Data Center Causes Controversy

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Twenty-five miles due south of Salt Lake City, a massive construction project is nearing completion. The heavily secured site belongs to the National Security Agency.
"The spy center" -- that's what some of the locals like Jasmine Widmer, who works at Bluffdale's sandwich shop, told our Fox News team as part of an eight month investigation into data collection and privacy rights that will be broadcast Sunday at 9 p.m. ET called "Fox News Reporting: Your Secrets Out.”
The NSA says the Utah Data Center is a facility for the intelligence community that will have a major focus on cyber security. The agency will neither confirm nor deny specifics. Some published reports suggest it could hold 5 zettabytes of data. (Just one zettabyte is the equivalent of about 62 billion stacked iPhones 5's-- that stretches past the moon.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/12/ ... z2QLmWL0Vk
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: NSA Data Center Causes Controversy

Post by Jim »

What secrets?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Jim wrote:What secrets?
Then it wouldn't be a freakin secret.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

If they want to read my e-mail and find out that my politics are just to the right of Genghis Kahn and compared to all of my friends I'm a moderate....so be it. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone in Government that there is a huge and growing number of citizens who advocate armed insurrection. Fuck 'em.....it don't mean nothin'!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

[quote="Slowpoke"]If they want to read my e-mail and find out that my politics are just to the right of Genghis Kahn and compared to all of my friends I'm a moderate....so be it. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone in Government that there is a huge and growing number of citizens who advocate armed insurrection. Fuck 'em.....it don't mean nothin'![/quote]

Pretty much my take.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

So thats where all the sequestration money is going.
No money for old items, just money for new items.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I usually get all my breaking news for the local sandwich shop chick
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

And it's still only a third the size of Walmart's DC in Arkansas.....

Not really, but that fucker is huge, heavily guarded, and chock ful of customer info....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

This will be the largest Federal building ever built. It will dwarf anything built before.

Why do you need such a large building to house information?

See my link about Common Core in schools. If you are going to monitor and catalog every aspect of students, including home, school, using MRI, facial recognition, etc, from Kindergarten and beyond, you will need a pretty large facility to hold all that information.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

[quote="Flesh Thorn"]The NSA says the Utah Data Center is a facility for the intelligence community that will have a major focus on cyber security. The agency will neither confirm nor deny specifics. Some published reports suggest it could hold 5 zettabytes of data.[/quote]

Wait... 5 ZB!?!

That would be 1 BILLION of the latest and greatest commercially-available (i.e. 5 TB) hard drive modules. Given there are only about 31.5M seconds in a year, and hard drives just don't magically pop into existance fully manufactured and installed, I'd say the quoted number is just a fantasy. I could almost believe 5 exabytes (a factor of 1000 smaller), but even that is pushing it the limits of believability.

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”