Obama Announces Gun Control Plan

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Obama Announces Gun Control Plan

Post by Flesh Thorn »

President Obama called Wednesday for a new and tougher assault-weapons ban and a 10-round limit on magazines, as part of a comprehensive plan to curb gun violence that includes 23 steps he took without congressional action.

Already facing stiff opposition from gun-rights advocates and Republican lawmakers, the president called on Congress to pass several major changes to the country's current gun laws -- some of which are already being considered like the restrictions on semi-automatic weapons and high-capacity magazines.

Obama called as well for legislation to bar the possession and importation of armor-piercing bullets and to require criminal background checks for nearly all gun sales. The president, speaking at the White House, said he would use "whatever weight this office holds" to get the proposals passed.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01 ... z2IAqs1iyM
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Bronco
Quitter

Re: Obama Announces Gun Control Plan

Post by Bronco »

I'm only a junior in high school, but I pay close attention to what's going on in America and the world unlike most kids my age. Anyways I don't understand why Obama is making more strict gun laws, criminals obviously break the law, so no matter what he does they are going to find a way around it. Not only that, but it's just making it harder for law abiding citizens to obtain guns.

Also, I just wanted to ask others a couple of questions. America seems so divided right now, I've seen several videos about a civil war starting does anyone believe it's really possible? In addition to that, is America going to still be the greatest country in a couple of years? I have also seen something about Obama possibly appointing Chuck Hagel to Secretary of Defense, but Hagel wants to cut 80% of America's nuclear power, why would a former military member want to weaken the world's greatest military?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mustardseed12 wrote:I'm only a junior in high school, but I pay close attention to what's going on in America and the world unlike most kids my age. Anyways I don't understand why Obama is making more strict gun laws, criminals obviously break the law, so no matter what he does they are going to find a way around it. Not only that, but it's just making it harder for law abiding citizens to obtain guns.

Also, I just wanted to ask others a couple of questions. America seems so divided right now, I've seen several videos about a civil war starting does anyone believe it's really possible? In addition to that, is America going to still be the greatest country in a couple of years? I have also seen something about Obama possibly appointing Chuck Hagel to Secretary of Defense, but Hagel wants to cut 80% of America's nuclear power, why would a former military member want to weaken the world's greatest military?
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. We live in a country that has long respected the rule of law. The Second Amendment to the US Constitution guarrantees the right to bear arms and a well regulated militia. Do your homework, the questions you raise are not new or simple.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

I fail to see how cutting our "nuclear power" weakens us militarily. Even short 80% we have enough to precision strike any little pissant country (Iran) that wants to nuke us. You plan, train and resource for the war you are most likely to fight. It's always a crap shoot as to which fight is next.

I actually have a hard time counting our nukes as a military asset and not an asset of State Department.

As far as who gets chosen for cabinet positions it has little to do with qualifications and more to do with how it looks to the public.

Besides the Military is very much (at high levels) function following form "If it looks good, it is good" vs the opposite "If it's stupid but it works...it isn't stupid."

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Mustardseed12 wrote:Also, I just wanted to ask others a couple of questions. America seems so divided right now, I've seen several videos about a civil war starting does anyone believe it's really possible? In addition to that, is America going to still be the greatest country in a couple of years?
The countries that have had the most violent and deadly civil wars, usually were pretty nice, normal places just a few years before it happened. I skied in Sarajevo in the 1980s, just a few years after the Olympics had been there. No one would have thought that country would end up being synonomous with modern day genocide just a few years later.

If you read history and read the accounts of folks living in the north and the South, prior to our own civil war, no one thought that there would be bloodshed.

History is a bitch. It only takes 10% ofthe population to start anything. The American Revolution was started by 1% of the population and fought by 10%. The other 90% denies it will happen and then avoids it while it is going on. Sometimes they are forced into picking a side.

So, is it possible? History tells you yes. It would need a major event to make it happen. Even if the major event is something as simple as the government shooting 19 men in their way, while trying to march on a neighboring town, and seize their weapons.

Will we still be the superpower in a few years? That is entirely up to you. Everything ends. Every empire has fell to the wayside. The United States may not end, but they may not be one top. Right now we have the greatest economy in the world, the greatest military in history, and our culture is copied by everyone in the world. However the same was said of Rome, and it is gone now.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

You should know the rest of us gave up on MA,NY & CA a long time ago.

In other news, land is cheap in NH, GA, TX & Several other gun nut strongholds. Unlike ammo, moving boxes are plentiful.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I am confident that whatever they impose on us, no matter how much they take from us, they can and will be beaten back with muskets, tomahawks and pitchforks if it comes to it.

The American spirit is still very much alive and well.

Good people have been being "good people" and abiding by the letter of the law, but make no mistake about it, they are fucking pissed and growing very tired of being pushed and taxed and beaten down so that the sick, lame, lazy, illegal and liberal can pretend to live in a fucking fantasy world of unicorn pussy and rainbows.

Push them too far and it will spill over, there will be blood shed.

The Son's of Liberty will rise up again. The names of the original nine will once again be spoken in darkened offices and houses with the shades pulled tight.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Just read across the street that, in their haste, the NY lawmakers failed to exempt LEOs from the 7 round requirement. :shock:
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Bushwack
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Bushwack »

Cams said "fantasy world of unicorn pussy"

Off subject, but is unicorn pussy any good? Someone had to go there.
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Bushwack wrote:Cams said "fantasy world of unicorn pussy"

Off subject, but is unicorn pussy any good? Someone had to go there.
You know, I just hit google images search for a "hot unicorn" picture to post here.

I really, really wish I hadn't.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Lefty wrote:Just read across the street that, in their haste, the NY lawmakers failed to exempt LEOs from the 7 round requirement. :shock:
Since New York will now be free of violence, LEOs should not even need guns.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”