The case for gun rights is stronger than you think

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

The case for gun rights is stronger than you think

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Opinion by William J. Bennett
(CNN) -- On NBC's "Meet the Press" this past Sunday, I was asked how we can make our schools safer and prevent another massacre like Sandy Hook from happening again. I suggested that if one person in the school had been armed and trained to handle a firearm, it might have prevented or minimized the massacre.

"And I'm not so sure -- and I'm sure I'll get mail for this -- I'm not so sure I wouldn't want one person in a school armed, ready for this kind of thing," I said. "The principal lunged at this guy. The school psychologist lunged at the guy. Has to be someone who's trained. Has to be someone who's responsible."

Well, I sure did get mail. Many people agreed with me and sent me examples of their son or daughter's school that had armed security guards, police officers or school employees on the premises. Many others vehemently disagreed with me, and one dissenter even wrote that the blood of the Connecticut victims was ultimately on the hands of pro-gun rights advocates.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/19/opinion/b ... =obnetwork
......every public shooting since 1950 in the U.S. in which more than three people have been killed has taken place where citizens are not allowed to carry guns. The massacres at Sandy Hook Elementary, Columbine, Virginia Tech and the Century 16 movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, all took place in gun-free zones.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: The case for gun rights is stronger than you think

Post by IEDmagnet »

Holy hell...that came from a CNN contributor? Not for long, he'll be fired next week for clubbing baby penguins or some other fictitious reason.

Besides, in 20 minutes someone else will write an article outlining all the reasons the pro-gun supporters have caused people to go insane and brokered deals to create panic.

All the facts and logical thought on earth will never disprove their opinions.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Considering that William Bennett served as Secretary of Education under Ronald Reagan and as the first "drug Czar" under George H.W. Bush, I doubt if he is too concerned about getting fired by CNN. Also, I have found that reading news on CNN is not near as distasteful as watching it on tv. :D
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I posted a CNN link to a podcast by Steven Pinker about the actual drop in violence and how we shouldn't focus on rampage killings.

I couldn't believe it was a)On CNN and b)Coming from a bastion of liberalism, Harvard University.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Noted on CNNs non-network news being tolerable.

Still was a shock to read.
blueline73
Ranger

Post by blueline73 »

I listen to Dr. Bennett's "Morning in America" radio program on my commute. He is one of the good guys.

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”