Veteran detained for anti-government Facebook posts

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Re: Veteran detained for anti-government Facebook posts

Post by rgrokelley »

OK, let me get this straight. A former military member writes some things on his internet social page that annoys folks. He writes that there is a possibility of violence in the future due to the fucked up politics of this country. Then he posts a single line from a song called "bring me down" that says
Sharpen up my axe and I am back, I'm here to sever heads
So government officials show up at his house, without a warrant, and want to search it. He says no, so they decide to detain him FOR THIRTY DAYS in a psychiatric ward to make sure he is safe, then they also call him a terrorist.

Last time I checked, using the Constitution and such, you can only be detained for 48 hours before you must be charged with something. Not an open ended amount of time. Especially not 30 days.

Some of you on here say he gets what he deserves. This is another case where we should not form a firing squad when a fellow veteran is accused, but instead we need to circle the wagons.

I always think of Randy Weaver when this happens.

OK, put this into ArmyRanger.com. How many of us have said that if Obama gets elected...or not elected... there will be violence in the streets, riots, or civil war? How many of us have taken a line out of a song, and put it on here. Hey, if I post the lyrics to "Maxwell's silver hammer" does that make me a psycho who will harm people?

How many of us, if the Federal cops show up at our door due to a post on here, would tell them to get fucked if they didn't have a warrant to search our house?

What really angers me is that there are real angry terroristic types out there, calling for the destruction of the US for Allah, calling on others to bomb maternity wards to kill "cracker babies", calling on the overthrow of the US government to spread communism, calling on the execution of anyone making over 100 million dollars... but they are not harrassed, questioned or even looked at funny. But when a former member of the military makes a comment, he is locked up, with no warrant, with nothing to go on, except he posted the lyrics to a song.

This is fucked up. We need to stand by those who served.

on a side note... Declared Communist Goals as entered into the Congressional record in 1963. These are 45 goals.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand or treat
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
AIRBORNEVET
US Army Veteran

Post by AIRBORNEVET »

Have to 100% agree with rgrokelley. If he was currently on active duty or on active status with the Guard or Reserves it would be different in my opinion. Then again the lines are getting so blurred anymore about wearing the uniform/awards and what soldiers can and can't do depending on what social agenda is hot at the time is getting ridiculous and confusing. Just take for example the one time exception the Pentagon just made for homosexuals allowing them to wear their uniform at a gay pride parade as well as the Supreme Court overturning the Stolen Valor Act. Surely a Veteran, of all citizens, has the right to express his personal opinions and exercise his freedom of speech and opinions once he gets out. I mean would the same thing have happened to a civilian had they posted this? I highly doubt it. Why should civilians have more freedom, rights, and leniency within the law than those who actually stepped up and defended these things? The slippery slope is rearing it's ugly head.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Coming late to this, but it deserves some comment.

I Don't know the bones of the Virginia law, but I will look it up and modify my statement, as needed. For now I am solely basing comment on the similar law that CT has on its books.

Here in CT the y have what is called a "Police Emergency Committal". Based on the judgement of an officer on scene, a person can be taken against their will and held for up to three days in an emergency psychiatric care facility. I'm not sure of the exact wording, but if a person is threatening to, or putting themselves or others in imminent danger they can be taken for evaluation. In that 72 hour time period they must be seen by a psychiatrist who will make a determination if further committal, evaluation, and treatment is necessary. If the shrink feels it is not needed the person is released.

It is not a first amendment issue. It is a public health and safety issue. It goes back to the argument of shouting fire in a crowded theater. Not to monday morning quarterback, but it didn't say if other FD or EMS were involved. When I have to deal with this kind of thing, the LEO's are never acting by themselves. Yes, I have had to handcuff many a person to a stretcher, but it has only been if I think a person is going to be a danger to themselves or the EMS crew. It is done with LEO's present, and they usually follow to the ER. I don't think it happened in this case because it looks like he is being put in the back of a cruiser.

The bottom line is if someone is threatening to hurt themselves or anyone else, even in a joking manner, it has to be taken seriously. I have shown up to scenes before, usually because someone threatened suicide. Many times they are very adamant that this wasn't the case and it was a joke, argument, off handed comment gone wrong. My only answer is this; If that is so, than you will only be inconvenienced for a short while. You go to the hospital, and explain to the staff that it was a misunderstanding. You do it in a calm, rational, and cogent manner and they will realize that you aren't a threat to anyone. When people start getting agitated and screaming about their rights being infringed upon, this doesn't help their case at all. The more agitated they become, the more we have to assume they can become violent, and the greater measures can be taken to protect the public and themselves, up to chemical sedation. (only had to do that once, but it was fun..)

I take pride in my abilities as a Health Care provider that in most cases I am able to verbally deescalate a bad situation, and convince the person that it is in their best interest to go voluntarily. (In that case, they legally cannot be held and can leave right away..) However, I have before and would not hesitate again to use restraints to keep myself, my partner, the LEO's, or hospital staff safe. I don't care if the person is my own family, I have a job to do. Being a veteran has helped in that I was able to relate to other veterans and get them to calm down, but we have responded before to houses where people made stupid comments online and someone else blew the whistle. (it sucks, because it is a pain in the ass to find the location from an IP address..)

People fail to realize that it is a very fine line between their rights to free speech, pursuit of happiness, etc. and the public right to protection. If this kid went off and started capping people, what would his mom have said then? (Oh he's a nice boy and wouldn't hurt a fly..) People forget that their are times when their rights can be suspended, in certain situations, especially if they start acting like a shithead.
Given several recent public shootings (the most recent today in NYC..) it is no wonder that the LEO's wanted to make sure this kid wasn't going to go off the deep end. Hell, I've been sweating a potential visit from someone who raises an eyebrow at the number of firearm purchases I made in the last 12 months.

Veteran, civilian, fucking space-alien.. it matters not. If you are going to make incendiary comments, either in public or in a public forum like Faceballs, don't be surprised if the man comes knocking

EDIT: I found a guide posted by the Virginia Beach PD for responding to such situations.
http://naminc.org/nn/blet/va-field-guide.pdf
It is a different jurisdiction, but the state law is the same. It sounds like they acted with in the bounds of the law and it was appropriate to the situation. All the kid had to do was agree to go voluntarily and it would have ended differently. Could the LEO's handled it more discretely/diplomatically? Perhaps, but I wasn't there. Could he have acted more calmly? I'm willing to bet so. Was his right to free speech or unreasonable search/seizure infringed upon. Doesn't sound like it. This is not a new statute. This is not some obamacare police state shit. Just because he is a vet doesn't get him a pass on acting like a twat. If anything, it sounds like he needs the help.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

This "kid" (actually a Marine who has done a combat tour, and in his late 20s) didn't go off the deep end. He didn't make threats. He didn't wave around guns, knives or clubs. He didn't show any aggressive attitude at all. His crime? Saying that the shit is getting so hot that there may be civil war... and he quoted the lyrics from a song.

Justifying this "detainment" (for 30 days... if a judge hadn't ordered him released) because there was a shooting almost a thousand miles away doesn't hack it either.

Also saying that this could all have been solved more peacefully if the "kid" just went with them voluntarily.

If any law enforcement comes to my door, WITHOUT a warrant, and tells me they want to search my house because of a song lyric I posted on a Facebook page, I'm telling them to get fucked.

If this same law enforcement then asks me to voluntarily put myself into some psychiatric situation, I am telling him to get fucked again.

There is no spin on this. It is wrong.

Also falling back on the Virginia law doesn't cut it either. VA Code 37.2 states that a person can be "detained" if
•Has a mental illness and that there exists a substantial likelihood that, as a result of mental illness, the person will, in the near future, (a) cause serious physical harm to himself or others as evidenced by recent behavior causing, attempting, or threatening harm and other relevant information, if any, or (b) suffer serious harm due to his lack of capacity to protect himself from harm or to provide for his basic human needs.
None of this happened. Nada. The Marine didn't have a mental illness and there was no evidence, not even circumstantial, that he was going to harm himself or others. He quoted a song lyric.

To finish off, here are some quotes from Marine, Brandon Raub
There is a better way. It’s called freedom. Freedom is called a lot of things. But there is a true meaning. It means very simply that you have the right to do whatever you want as long as you are not infringing on the freedoms of other people.

I firmly believe that God set America apart from the other nations of the world. He saved a place where people could come to to escape bad systems of goverment. This system we have created works. It really works.

There is evil going on all around the world. The United States was meant to lead the charge against injustice, but through our example not our force. People do not respond to having liberty and freedom forced on them.

Men and Women follow courage. They follow leadership, and courage. Our example has paved the way for people all around the world to change their forms of government.

Force is not the way because liberty is a powerful concept. The idea that men can govern themselves is the basis for every just form of government.
RS - DHG 5-85
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

My apologies to the Marine for referring to him as a "kid", perhaps "young man" would have been appropriate.

Further quotes from Mr. Raub..
“If you are my friend, you deserve to know the truth. This world is secretly run by a shadow organization of people who among other things enjoy raping children. Some of leaders were involved with the bombing of the twin towers. It was a sacrifice and a complete inside job. Also the Bush’s [sic] are very sick twisted problems. I believe they have a secret Castle in Colorado where they have been raping and sacrificing children for many years. Think I’m crazy? Think again.” Raub wrote in a July 28, 2012 Facebook post.

“Dear Friends, I know many of you think I’m going crazy, and are wondering just why I have been posting the things I have been posting. I don’t have the energy to explain. Just know that a new beginning is coming.” Raub posted on August 11.

On August 7, 2012 Raub posted to his profile a picture of men in robes by a lake with the caption, ” Do you know that world leaders sacrifice children in robes?”
I suppose if it is discovered that there is a castle in Colorado where the leaders of the world gather to wear robes and sacrifice children, then the Commonwealth of Virginia owes him an apology.

Again, I wasn't there, so I don't know how things went down. I don't know what the exact trigger was that caused he LEOs to say he needed to go. I can say having been in similar situations that when things are explained in a calm and rational manner to the person and by the person, things go much smoother. Again, solely based on my experiences, once the decision to transport has been made by the LEOs the person is going, no matter what. You are right. It is complete bullshit. I know when i have to deal with it I would much rather be doing something else, and I'm pretty sure the LEOs felt the same way. The law, however, is still there and there is a duty to act.

Just looked it up, and it seems the young man was released. A judge says the LEOs did not meet the statutory requirement and he was let go. Also, he never had any federal charges pending. The FBI left him at the scene.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

I suppose if it is discovered that there is a castle in Colorado where the leaders of the world gather to wear robes and sacrifice children, then the Commonwealth of Virginia owes him an apology.
He is an 9-11 truther. He has odd beliefs. So what. That is apples and oranges to this case. The last I checked, different beliefs and conspiracy theories are not grounds for being "detained" because you do not want the police searching your house without a search warrant.

Van Jones, best buds with Obama believes that the government did 9-11. Luis Farrakhan believes there is a mother ship floating out there and that Black people are gods who will live for 100 years. None of these folks are being detained.

There were no specific threats to others by this Marine. Nada. There were no threats of harming himself, also Nada.

The reason that Virginia owes him an apology is because what they did was wrong. Plain and simple. It does not matter if he has bullshit ideas or not.
RS - DHG 5-85
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

We must stand together. More cases like this will come to light as the election gets closer. We need to question what the evidence is. What is the probable cause? If we do not, they can easily divide and conquer, turning us against each other.
RS - DHG 5-85
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

rgrokelley wrote:He is an 9-11 truther. He has odd beliefs. So what. That is apples and oranges to this case. The last I checked, different beliefs and conspiracy theories are not grounds for being "detained" because you do not want the police searching your house without a search warrant.
If his house was searched without a warrant, or without proper and DOCUMENTED CONSENT, then he has an ironclad case and grounds for a lawsuit, which he will win by a landslide.
rgrokelley wrote:There were no specific threats to others by this Marine. Nada. There were no threats of harming himself, also Nada.

Really? Have you gone and read his posts? The premise of an involuntary commitment is not only a harm or danger to yourself, but others as well. It wasn't just one thing that triggered his detention. It was a host of things.....things he was repetitious about and emphatic of the same. Not one person I know of (And I have many) that has opposing views of the government has ever been detained for expressing those views or arrested. This guy took things too far. His OWN WORDS and postings made himself stand out, not anyone else, as someone who was a potential threat against those he perceived as an adversary. It doesn't matter how corrupt you may think someone is, you have no right to sit in judgement and carry out sentence of the same. That's why, as a society, we are a nation of laws with an expectation of good order and discipline.
rgrokelley wrote:The reason that Virginia owes him an apology is because what they did was wrong. Plain and simple. It does not matter if he has bullshit ideas or not.
Hate to differ with you, but it does. VA, just like NC, has a duty to investigate and protect the public from harm, potential, imminent or active. Raub's platoon leader in Iraq, described Raub as "an excellent Marine" but added that he had been alarmed by his recent behavior.said he was disturbed by his recent fixation with conspiracy theories and that his political beliefs had become both extreme and violent.

I look at it this way. If I hear a woman screaming from the inside of her house next door, do I blow it off and figure "Ah, that's their business and none of mine" or do I do something about it? Who's to say his own friends weren't the ones who made a call about it? And if it was one of them, is anyone is going to disclose it or who it was? It doesn't matter whether Raub was a stellar Marine and a Veteran. I wouldn't care if he was an MOH recipient. If you are going to do harm, or exhibit the potential of doing harm, if its me, or someone I care about, or an innocent bystander, you're going to be held accountable, either before you become a threat or are a threat. Plain and simple.

His own PL, a man who clearly knows him better than any of us, went as far as to say this:
"Knowing the man that he is, I believe that he fully intended to act on the threats he was posting," Lawlor wrote. "We may never know, but the fact that law enforcement intervened may have kept Brandon from doing something extremely destructive."
There's nothing wrong with being patriotic and patriotism. I hate injustice as much as the next guy. I have taken away the freedom of people who acted contrary to the law, for whatever reason. Felt damn good about at times. And when it was someone I knew, damned hard, and gave me reason to question why at nights, and second guess myself. In the end, I wasn't left a choice, that decision was already made for me, by him. And in Raub's case, the same applies. Again, the man was DETAINED, not arrested. Everyone sees someone in cuffs and automatically comes to a conclusion he's under arrest, the media goes into a frenzy and so does everyone else. It's for that very reason, prisoners who go to a trial by jury, are NOT handcuffed in court. It's to ensure undue influence is not made of a persons guilt or innocence by the jury seeing a person cuffed up.

Many are saying it was a result of Big Brother snooping on his posts and then swooped in to get him. When they really don't know for a fact, how his questioning came about, or what started everything in motion. Maybe his thought process changed after he had a trigger point ignite a fire from within and he decided "You know what? Enough is enough" And things began to spiral from there. There's a pattern of his postings that clearly identifies exactly that, and was escalating himself into something further. How far we may never know. That's the entire crux for my stance. You, I or anyone else for that matter, knows how far he may have taken this.After reading his posts, the Feds had every right to question him and the courts, within its authority to have him get a check up from the neck up.

Had Timothy McVeigh had access to FB and other social media, and used it, who's to say Oklahoma City might have never happened?

Bottom line is if your views are that extreme (And by all accounts from what I've read with my own eyes, they were) and then, you draw attention to yourself by posting it on public media for the whole world to see, then you should also have every expectation of receiving a visit. I know I am not popular based on the 50 pages of Google entries all but stating the "Government this, liberty that, a hero was arrested and so on going against me. Same thing on FB. I've never been about winning a "Popularity Contest" so, feel free to think of me as you will. That's your God given right to do so and should you choose, your right to express openly.

There are those who see this case as an injustice and a form of tyranny by the government. On the surface, I'll admit, it does. But in the FWIW department, if an expression is made repetitiously, it is perceived to be true. And after enough time has passed, perception becomes reality. And reality becomes a truth, no matter how flawed the original thought or intent might have been. In closing, for the record, know this. If I ever feel that the (My, yours and our) government has betrayed us and prepared to carry out an enslavement of a free society, and we are then, no longer a nation of laws, then I will act accordingly. Until then, we can agree to disagree, but not to the extent of unreasonable acts in order to change what we perceive and not current reality. And by all means, I will never stand in the way of anyone expressing their thoughts and ideas. Post anything you'd like. Raub is once again a free man. He has every right to do the same. As for me, I kinda tend to choose my thoughts and words I post carefully. I don't particularly care for uninvited guests or unexpected company.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Really? Have you gone and read his posts? The premise of an involuntary commitment is not only a harm or danger to yourself, but others as well. It wasn't just one thing that triggered his detention. It was a host of things.....things he was repetitious about and emphatic of the same.
Yes I have. If you can, print here the specific comments on his site that show he is a harm to others or himself. I'm not talking about the idea that there will be a civil war if Obama gets reelected, or the printing of the lyrics of a song. In other words, has he said anything on his Facebook site, that any Ranger on here have not said in a similiar vein. We have folks on this site who reprint violent musical lyrics. We have folks on this site who think the government has done things, that the rest of us think are a bit tin hat and nutty, we have folks on this site who think there will be civil war and violence in the street if Obama gets elected or doesn't get re-elected.
Not one person I know of (And I have many) that has opposing views of the government has ever been detained for expressing those views or arrested.
Well, there is Raub, but there is also the recent history of the United States. If we throw in the entire 20th century you would have thousands of cases. In fact there are hundreds of Supreme Court decisions that tell of each arrest in great detail. The most famous case, Shenck vs United States, the one where the quote "you can't shout fire in a crowded movie house" came from, has nothing to do with shouting fire... or a movie house. Shenck was part of a group that was protesting the war and he was arrested for handing out leaflets that told folks the draft was unconstitutional.
His own PL, a man who clearly knows him better than any of us, went as far as to say this:

"Knowing the man that he is, I believe that he fully intended to act on the threats he was posting," Lawlor wrote. "We may never know, but the fact that law enforcement intervened may have kept Brandon from doing something extremely destructive."
And this quote came after he was incarcerated by the police in a mental facility. In other words, his PL has given these quotes based upon the story told to him. I keep going back to it, but the case that is the most famous and the one that stands out as the most heinous is Randy Weaver. When the siege of his "bunker" (actually a plywood shack) was going on everyone believed that this guy was a out of control racist gun dealer who wanted to overthrow the government. I was saying "he gets what he deserves" because I didn't believe that law enforcement or the US government would send all this might after that guy unless he was guilty. We know the truth now. At the time former members of Randy Weaver's team were interviewed and they also stated that Weaver had been a good soldier, but they were glad that law enforcement was there to stop the threat of him doing harm to himself or others.
Again, the man was DETAINED, not arrested.
Detained, according rulings in the Constitution, up to 48 hours before being told of the charges. This is not the idea of detaining you, for... as long as we want. This was open ended detention, maybe for 30 days... we don't know what the total time would have been if some government appointed "expert" decided he was crazy. It finally ended when a judge said that the whole case is bullshit and ordered him to be let go.

The judicial system says this is bullshit. There are no grounds. He did not say anything that specifically indicated violence against an individual or himself.

The bigger question is if the police come to my door and arrest me (oops, open ended detain me) because of what I have posted here, would all of you go "well, I didn't think he would do something, but now that you have arrested him, he must have been bad, so its good that he is behind bars (oops, a mental institution) so that he doesn't harm others or himself.

Again, we need to stand together. Question everything. The times demand it.
RS - DHG 5-85
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

At the end of the day...the reason this guy was detained is because he was a Veteran.

There are plenty of "Civilians" (see definition at end of post) that have done and are currently doing the same thing that this guy did. Rosie O'fatfuck believes as this guy does and even without the quoting of the Rap song and the other stuff he posted is twice as dangerous to society and yet she's still out makeing the ground quacke wherever she treads.

We (Veterans) are known as the single largest threat to homeland (read the current fucked-up government) security. The trick of it is the Government is right. We represent the only force that will fight and sacrifice everything to see the rights of the rest of the population upheld. We are a threat to the whole system.

Tough

Civilian: A person that has niether the sense of moral responsibility nor the courage to serve their nation in any useful capacity. See also Social Parasite.

In my honest opinion Civilians should not be allowed to vote or own land. They should rent from the government or from us.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

rangertough wrote:
In my honest opinion Civilians should not be allowed to vote or own land. They should rent from the government or from us.
Citizenship earned !
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Starship Troopers
AIRBORNEVET
US Army Veteran

Post by AIRBORNEVET »

[quote="rangertough"]

Civilian: A person that has niether the sense of moral responsibility nor the courage to serve their nation in any useful capacity. See also Social Parasite.

In my honest opinion Civilians should not be allowed to vote or own land. They should rent from the government or from us.[/quote]

Now these are opinions and statements I wholeheartedly believe in. I'm so tired of civilians whining about the rights and freedoms they received at birthright or through citizenship being infringed upon but when the need and nation demands their commitment or sacrifice they are no where to be found. Sure feels alot better to know as a Veteran you earned and protected them as well.

I think Merriam Webster needs to incorporate this definition in their dictionary.
AIRBORNEVET
US Army Veteran

Post by AIRBORNEVET »

Pennsylvania has this same law on the books. It seems one of the problems is individuals who determine the mental state of the individual and whether what he said was a threat is a little too open for interpretation and in this case crossed the line. Not to mention the amount of time a person can be detained before it's even established if the charges are valid and legal. Personally I also think there is a double standard when it comes to Veterans making posts as they take it being more credible. This crosses the line almost like profiling. Because person A has a military background he is more likely to possibly actually commit said harm to himself or others than person B who never served. I understand the reason for this law being on the books however there is definitely a double standard when it comes to civilians doing the same. Facebook, blogs, and the comment section or message board of news articles get outlandish comments like this on a daily basis probably thousands of times with no repercussions or big brother knocking at the door. While his comments are out there I still didn't see anything that warranted crossing the line and detaining him justifying a "Just in case" scenario. As for what his PL said well I'm sure just like with anything else once someone has done something bad or negative your gonna find someone who comes forward with a time or place they construed something you said or did and tying it into getting in trouble later on. Hindsight is 50-50. In the end I'm sure this did nothing more than made him even more entrenched in his beliefs as well as having a documented scenario to justify his position.

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”