Minorities now surpass whites in US births

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Minorities now surpass whites in US births

Post by rangertough »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
IEDmagnet wrote:.... the article is flawed in the fact that if they are the majority, why refer to them as minorities?
Good point!

If you call Caucasians a "race" in and of itself then you have to split all the other races (Asian, African) out as well. If looked at it that way the article is not flawed in the fact that Caucasians are still the majority race.

Not to mention where did the lump Hispanics in? Did they (for the study) count them as their own group or lump them in with Caucasians (as they conveniently did in the Zimmerman case)?

I'm betting that Caucasians still outnumber any one of the classic minority groups in the US.

I also have no doubt that every single minority race is out breeding Caucasians at least 2 to 1. Particularly Hispanics and AA.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

[quote="rangertough"]

Not to mention where did the lump Hispanics in?

Tough[/quote]

Point taken. But from looking, they were lumped into the "minorities" group.

Just to solidify your point, it looks like "whites" are still 68% of the population.
wks5
Ranger Dad

Post by wks5 »

As a former Census worker, I can tell you that the Census Bureau regards race as different from ethnicity, at least for the 2010 Census. White, Black, Asian, Native American, and a couple others are considered races, while Hispanic is considered an ethnicity (so you can have White Hispanics and Black Hispanics).

Since there are more than two races, the fact that Whites no longer make up the majority of births doesn't mean that some other race has suddenly become the majority. It's more correct to say that Whites now have the plurality of births, but no race has the majority of births.

by the way, these definitions are all politically defined. The 2010 Census took eight years to reach agreement on definitions, wording of the questions, collection methods, etc. I suspect that the discussion for the 2020 Census has already begun.

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”