Obama's Caution To Supreme Court's Ruling

Discussions on the American political landscape and its participants, world events and defense policy.

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Obama's Caution To Supreme Court's Ruling

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Judges order Justice Department to clarify Obama remarks on health law case

A federal appeals court is striking back after President Obama cautioned the Supreme Court against overturning the health care overhaul and warned that such an act would be "unprecedented."
A three-judge panel for the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday ordered the Justice Department to explain by Thursday whether the administration believes judges have the power to strike down a federal law.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04 ... z1r29LyzOb
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Obama's Caution To Supreme Court's Ruling

Post by hobbit »

This should be interesting. I must admit to being a longtime advocate for court reform, but not to the point that some foreign nitwit pretender decides he's the HMFIC with no checks and balances. Remember that millions of California voters struck down gay marriage, yet it took but one self-admitted alcoholic, homosexual, district court judge to overturn the will of the majority in the largest state of the union. This stick burns at both ends.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Doesn't anyone find it disturbing that the POTUS, a supposed Constitutional scholar, has made statements questioning the Supreme Court's ability to overturn laws made by Congress? I heard something to the effect that the Supreme Court has overturned laws over 180 times since Marbury vs. Madison.

For the first time since high school I have been reading the Constitution. The fact that I am doing this gives me goosebumps.

For the first time in my life I am really really worried about what is transpiring in the US. For all the drama of the sixties and the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago, those were dramatic times indeed, but everyone viewed them as something that would pass. They never really threatened the foundations of the country.

Today it is different. It seems the very basic foundations of this nation are being attacked.
Once they start to crack, the country we have known will become a relic of history.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Lefty wrote:Doesn't anyone find it disturbing that the POTUS, a supposed Constitutional scholar, has made statements questioning the Supreme Court's ability to overturn laws made by Congress? I heard something to the effect that the Supreme Court has overturned laws over 180 times since Marbury vs. Madison.
Absolutely! But then again..................... the supposed constitutional scholar is just that, supposed. When I worked for the Supreme Court here in Florida we had a couple a "Harvard Law Grads" and get this shit......... they prominently diplayed their degrees on the walls of their offices. They didn't spend millions of their own dollars trying to hide them and their transcripts.
Also have to laugh everytime I hear the media refer to Assclown as a "former Harvard Law Professor". Never was any such thing, he was actually an "adjunct" and even thats debatable.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Lunch, i think you hit the nail on the head!! I think (hope) it backfires on him.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Holder says 'courts have final say' in response to furor over Obama's health law comments

Attorney General Eric Holder acknowledged Wednesday that the "courts have final say," and said his department would respond formally to an appeals court order to explain whether the Obama administration believes judges in fact have the power to overturn federal laws.
The attorney general, at a brief press conference in Chicago, made clear the administration thinks they do.
"We respect the decisions made by the courts since Marbury v. Madison," Holder said Wednesday, referring to the landmark 1803 case that established the precedent of judicial review. "Courts have final say."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04 ... z1r6Qc1nix
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Lunch wrote:
Lefty wrote:Doesn't anyone find it disturbing that the POTUS, a supposed Constitutional scholar, has made statements questioning the Supreme Court's ability to overturn laws made by Congress? I heard something to the effect that the Supreme Court has overturned laws over 180 times since Marbury vs. Madison.

For the first time since high school I have been reading the Constitution. The fact that I am doing this gives me goosebumps.

For the first time in my life I am really really worried about what is transpiring in the US. For all the drama of the sixties and the 1968 Democratic convention in Chicago, those were dramatic times indeed, but everyone viewed them as something that would pass. They never really threatened the foundations of the country.

Today it is different. It seems the very basic foundations of this nation are being attacked.
Once they start to crack, the country we have known will become a relic of history.
For this part, I suspect that it isn't his ignorance; but rather that he's playing to the ignorance of his followers and the middle-of-the-roaders. I read his comments as a willful and purposful attempt to inflame the public and make HIS side of the argument sound like he's the one sticking up for Democracy. That is his mode of operation, to play on the public's ignorance and package bullshit in pretty, shiny packages.
Since all his heroes are anti-American terrorists/communists and various levels of scumbag, its obvious he learned from the best.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Even the hardcore commies are freaking out. Denver-based "Free Speech TV", the Marxist cable answer to FOX News, has been airing "Blood of Patriots" this week, a decidedly right-wing documentary by William Lewis. His wife wrote the excellent monolog. It explains, amendment by amendment, how recent presidents have trashed the constitution, but specifically how Obama is attempting to remove all traces of the 1st Amendment, if not the entire constitution, as guiding principals of governance. Really, really good documentary.

http://www.bloodofpatriotsmovie.com/
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

This is yet another moment when we look back and recognize the genius of our founding fathers. The 3 houses of governments are self-correcting; the Legistative, Executive, and Judicial. The founding fathers wanted to have a balance.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “News, Politics, and Policy”