Army Ranger instructor credited with water rescue

News of interest to those in the Ranger and Special Operations Community. News is generated and placed here from the front page of ArmyRanger.com

Moderator: Site Admin

Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Post by Ranger »

Staff Sgt. Nickolas Clarke, an Army Ranger instructor with the 6th Ranger Training Battalion at Eglin Air Force Base, was at the beach showing his mother-in-law around when he noticed a swimmer in distress. He said he just reacted, rescuing the man and a second person.
READ MORE: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/military/to ... e-1.385236
DO NOT PM ME
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Army Ranger instructor credited with water rescue

Post by Jim »

Has he been recommended for the Soldiers Medal?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Jim wrote:Has he been recommended for the Soldiers Medal?
"The Soldier's Medal is awarded to any individual whom while serving in the Armed Forces of the United States, or any citizen of a friendly foreign nation that while working with the United States Army, is recognized by heroism not concerning direct encounter with an enemy. A degree of valor as required for the award of Distinguished Flying Cross is required for the awarding of the Soldier's Medal. The act justifying the award of the medal must have entailed a personal risk or hazard and the personal choice of a risk of their life under condition not concerning direct encounter with an enemy. Simply saving a life will not be basis for the award."

I served with someone who was awarded the Soldiers Medal for repeatedly entering a burning building to rescue several soldiers that had passed out. I also served with two others that at different times had been awarded an ARCOM for rescuing others when the rescue was not considered as hazardous.

Given the fact that he had to rescue one and then go out again and rescue the original victim knowing that there was a rip current he should be considered due to the personal risk of life.
Last edited by al_2ndWolfhounds on October 15th, 2014, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

I agree, going out once is heroic enough, but going back out a second time, in a rip tide, deserves some higher recognition.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rangerjd wrote:I agree, going out once is heroic enough, but going back out a second time, in a rip tide, deserves some higher recognition.
Agreed. Recall, the Soldiers Medal is worn ahead of the Bronze Star. Serious award.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Ranger, SOF and Military News”