SFC Petry to Retire

News of interest to those in the Ranger and Special Operations Community. News is generated and placed here from the front page of ArmyRanger.com

Moderator: Site Admin

SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

SFC Petry to Retire

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

SFC Petry has decided to retire and move on with the next phase of his life.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201402 ... retirement
He may start a business or run a franchise. He’d like to participate in a USO tour. Or he may run for political office, he said.

“There are a lot of changes going on, and I want to be able to influence change as well, and [maybe] I can do it on a larger scale, going down the politician road,” he said.

If he runs for office, Petry envisions it’ll be a short-term endeavor.

“I think a lot of politicians are great during their first or second terms, and then it’s always good to get fresh ideas,” he said. “But I’ve got a few years to plan it out and say, ‘This is where I want to go in life.’ For right now, I’m definitely sticking to my goal of getting my degree.”
God, we can only hope.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: SFC Petry to Retire

Post by IEDmagnet »

I'd vote for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

IEDmagnet wrote:I'd vote for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As would I!

I had a chance to meet SFC Perry at Rendezvous before he was awarded the MOH. We got to talk for a little while and I came away thinking.... WOW This is one squared away motherfucker!!!!!

Nothing he's done since has changed my opinion of him. I wish him all the best in retirement.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Hope he moves to Northern Virginia so I can vote for him.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Kudos to SFC Petry.

I met & shook his hand after he won the MOH.
He was in the lobby of Holiday Inn on Manchester Blvd.

During the Change of Command Ceremonies He was leading fellow Rangers in the Ranger Creed - with the last letter to go the announcer cut in thinking SFC Petry was finished. Petrie interrupted the announcer saying he had one more stanza to go & with that he went into the last stanza completing it.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Dc22x
Future Soldier Mod/ Opt40

Post by Dc22x »

Rangers,

I don't mean to step out of place and post somewhere I shouldn't but I had the honor to met SFC Petry a few months ago on jblm. I approached him and let him know how I admired him and wanted to shake his hand and thank him for his service. I then asked him for a photo and he agreed, he even had me assist him on putting the Medal Of Honor around his neck a moment I'll surely never forget. It was a great experience to meet a Ranger of his caliber and hero who sacrificed for his country. Just furthered my drive to one day earn my chance in Regiment.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dc22x wrote:Rangers,

I don't mean to step out of place and post somewhere I shouldn't but I had the honor to met SFC Petry a few months ago on jblm. I approached him and let him know how I admired him and wanted to shake his hand and thank him for his service. I then asked him for a photo and he agreed, he even had me assist him on putting the Medal Of Honor around his neck a moment I'll surely never forget. It was a great experience to meet a Ranger of his caliber and hero who sacrificed for his country. Just furthered my drive to one day earn my chance in Regiment.
Good insight. I served with David Dolby. We were advisors with the Vietnamese Rangers. I was in the 42d battalion, and Dave was in the 44th. Dave had a rough life. We stayed in touch until he died. Being an MH is not easy!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I wish him a happy and productive life. Spotlights tend to be hot. A man of his caliber should do well in the civilian world, even if he is considering dabbling in politics....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

He and I were in RIP together. I choked him out during combatives. That is my claim to fame. I should put it on my resume. :lol: :lol: I mean how many people can say they choked out a MOH awardee. :lol:
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Mike11C11B
Ranger

Post by Mike11C11B »

Baseplate wrote:
> He and I were in RIP together. I choked him out during combatives. That is my claim
> to fame. I should put it on my resume. :lol: :lol: I mean how many people can
> say they choked out a MOH awardee. :lol:
What do you want, a cookie? Yeah, you probably do want a cookie. Did Cody choke both of you out?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mike11C11B wrote:Baseplate wrote:
> He and I were in RIP together. I choked him out during combatives. That is my claim
> to fame. I should put it on my resume. :lol: :lol: I mean how many people can
> say they choked out a MOH awardee. :lol:
What do you want, a cookie? Yeah, you probably do want a cookie. Did Cody choke both of you out?
You can't make this shit up!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Mike11C11B was the first real Ranger I ever met. After that I knew if he could hack it there was no doubt that I would.
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Mike11C11B
Ranger

Post by Mike11C11B »

SFC Petry, what's the most memorable moment in your career?
Well, I was going through RIP, and this mortarman beat me during combatives. But I knew he was real Ranger material then, so I felt good coming in second. I can still feel that choke to this day. In fact, it was the same arm I tried to block his choke with that I lost my hand to the grenade. But in a way, I lost it that day in RIP trying to block a choke given to me by one hell of an 11C. He taught me more in those 3 seconds than I learned in my whole career. I wish I could buy him a beer and say thank you.
Baseplate then wakes up and realizes that he still can't see his penis.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Mike11C11B wrote:SFC Petry, what's the most memorable moment in your career?
Well, I was going through RIP, and this mortarman beat me during combatives. But I knew he was real Ranger material then, so I felt good coming in second. I can still feel that choke to this day. In fact, it was the same arm I tried to block his choke with that I lost my hand to the grenade. But in a way, I lost it that day in RIP trying to block a choke given to me by one hell of an 11C. He taught me more in those 3 seconds than I learned in my whole career. I wish I could buy him a beer and say thank you.
I about fell off my chair laughing...
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Mike11C11B wrote:SFC Petry, what's the most memorable moment in your career?

I am pretty sure that is exactly what happened minus seeing my penis. I see my penis daily.
hang it, FIRE!!!!

Return to “Ranger, SOF and Military News”