Army Ranger earns longest applause at State of the Union

News of interest to those in the Ranger and Special Operations Community. News is generated and placed here from the front page of ArmyRanger.com

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Army Ranger earns longest applause at State of the Union

Post by Flesh Thorn »

President Obama's State of the Union address Tuesday night was interrupted more than 80 times by applause, but the longest ovation was for an Army Ranger recovering from injuries sustained on his 10th deployment.

Sgt. 1st Class Cory Remsburg, of Phoenix, Arizona, sat in the gallery between his father, Craig, and first lady Michelle Obama. He wore a bow tie under his uniform and had his left hand in a brace. He applauded by patting his right had on his chest.

At the rostrum below, Obama described how he first met Remsburg in 2009, at ceremonies commemorating the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy, France. The president described Remsburg as a "strong, impressive young man [who] had an easy manner [and] was sharp as a tack."

Read More
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: Army Ranger earns longest applause at State of the Union

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

I don't twitter but reports are that the greatest amount of buzz on twitter was about Remsburg, outshining anything else Obama talked about.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

al_2ndWolfhounds wrote:I don't twitter but reports are that the greatest amount of buzz on twitter was about Remsburg, outshining anything else Obama talked about.
He earned it!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Jim wrote:
al_2ndWolfhounds wrote:I don't twitter but reports are that the greatest amount of buzz on twitter was about Remsburg, outshining anything else Obama talked about.
He earned it!
X 2 Sir. I was watching this and found myself welling up a bit with pride and sadness at the same time for this young Ranger. He's in rough shape and still fighting uphill full speed. 100% and then some...God bless him.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I saw Ranger Sgt. 1st Class Cory Remsburg the camera panned to him & I saw him clapping by thumping his chest with one hand. Impressive to say the least. God keep this Ranger safe with his family.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Just think, those Aholes looked him straight in the face as they pulled his benefits.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Mike11C11B
Ranger

Post by Mike11C11B »

SFC Remsburg is now being used as a political prop. For this particular disgusting picture, it's for the Dems (No Republicans, that wasn't a challenge.)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 354&type=1
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mike11C11B wrote:SFC Remsburg is now being used as a political prop. For this particular disgusting picture, it's for the Dems (No Republicans, that wasn't a challenge.)

Only fair, A&E wants to replace Duck Dynasty with a new White House-based series: Duck Responsibility.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

rangertough wrote:Just think, those Aholes looked him straight in the face as they pulled his benefits.

Tough
Absolutely fucking reprehensible..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Mike11C11B wrote:SFC Remsburg is now being used as a political prop. For this particular disgusting picture, it's for the Dems (No Republicans, that wasn't a challenge.)

Thisainthell.us predicted that the Dems were going to use the Reps "compromise" on the cuts for benefits to vets against them in the coming election. Read some of the comments the sheep did it for them.

Tough
Rangertough
Mike11C11B
Ranger

Post by Mike11C11B »

And then there is this PIECE OF SHIT. Why is there a track record at NBC/MSNBC of this type of crap? Why do they have to keep firing people/saying sorry/etc. for repeated mistakes on public record that never should have happened in the first place?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism ... s-for-joke
Worldweaver
Ranger

Post by Worldweaver »

It saddens me that Cory's appearance is now being called a political ploy, or that he is being used as a pawn. Cory's recovery has been nothing short of remarkable and his appearance on the SOTU was a fitting tribute.

In the last couple of years there has been little to no media coverage of the War in Afghanistan. The only mention recently has been in relation to how much it's costing monetarily and how the Nation is growing "War weary". People in the media act as if they're the 1% who have contributed in this current conflict and that they're "tired of War".

It made me proud to see Cory up there being recognized for everything he's been through in the past 3+ years, and to pay tribute to the others who have been killed or injured in recent years. As his father said, this was to draw attention to the War still going on, and to those who have paid the toll for it.

To me, if anyone has been used as a "political pawn" it's the current administration and news media, who for once had to take a long look at their ambivalence and reflect on the valor of their betters.

RLTW
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Worldweaver wrote:It saddens me that Cory's appearance is now being called a political ploy, or that he is being used as a pawn. Cory's recovery has been nothing short of remarkable and his appearance on the SOTU was a fitting tribute.

In the last couple of years there has been little to no media coverage of the War in Afghanistan. The only mention recently has been in relation to how much it's costing monetarily and how the Nation is growing "War weary". People in the media act as if they're the 1% who have contributed in this current conflict and that they're "tired of War".

It made me proud to see Cory up there being recognized for everything he's been through in the past 3+ years, and to pay tribute to the others who have been killed or injured in recent years. As his father said, this was to draw attention to the War still going on, and to those who have paid the toll for it.

To me, if anyone has been used as a "political pawn" it's the current administration and news media, who for once had to take a long look at their ambivalence and reflect on the valor of their betters.

RLTW
I agree with your whole post save the last paragraph. I can't actually bring myself to believe that anyone in the current administration (on either side of the aisle) who hasn't served or in the main stream media has been shaken out of their ambivalence.

I also realize when it comes to either of those groups I am far past "realism" and smack dab into "pessimism".

None of my comments (mine was the first "negative" post) were in any way meant to take away from that fine Ranger or his families sacrifice and the long hard fight that they not only still have ahead of them but are winning every day he gets out of bed.

Tough
Rangertough
Worldweaver
Ranger

Post by Worldweaver »

Tough,

Wasn't calling you out brother. The majority of rumblings I've heard after the SOTU have been along the lines of "I hate that he is being used in this way", I just wanted to provide my prospective.

Just one example:
http://ideas.time.com/2014/01/29/the-st ... le-moment/

RLTW
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08

Return to “Ranger, SOF and Military News”