Probe of helicopter crash that was carrying SEAL Tm 6

News of interest to those in the Ranger and Special Operations Community. News is generated and placed here from the front page of ArmyRanger.com

Moderator: Site Admin

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Probe of helicopter crash that was carrying SEAL Tm 6

Post by Flesh Thorn »

WASHINGTON, July 24 (UPI) -- The 2011 helicopter crash in Afghanistan that killed members of the Navy's elite SEAL Team 6 is headed for an investigation, a congressman said.

Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz of Utah, chair of the House Oversight and Government Reform subcommittee on national security, told The Hill he met with the victims' families and is poised to send questions to the Pentagon.

"We're going to dive into this," Chaffetz said, adding that his subcommittee may hold hearings.

SEAL Team 6 members were among 30 American service personnel who died August 6, 2011 when their chopper went down shortly after taking off on a rescue mission.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/07/ ... z2Zyw2Plnd
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Probe of helicopter crash that was carrying SEAL Tm 6

Post by rangertough »

A bird augurs in in AFG (not an unlikely occurance) somehow becomes "worse than Benghazi". How the fuck do you figure that?

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rangertough wrote:A bird augurs in in AFG (not an unlikely occurance) somehow becomes "worse than Benghazi". How the fuck do you figure that?

Tough
"This is a scandal even greater than Benghazi," said Larry Klayman of Freedom Watch. "There we lost four valued American lives; here we sacrificed 30 American soldiers."

Roger that Tough. Playing to the media.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Richard Cranium wrote:Which means IF we were ever to find out what was really going on in Benghazi, we'd really have our minds blown!
I'm gonna lead with "Reptilian Overlords".
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

So this is a conspiracy ? Some people need to find a hobby or a second job.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

My reading of the situation, having zero inside info, just gut guesses:

1) Overanxious SEALs wanting to 'get into the fight' pile onboard quickest bird available.
2) Quickest bird available is flown by National Guard/Reserve, who lack experience and are 'amped' to fly such a cool guy unit.
3) Nobody thought through the ramifications of such a high density number of very select individuals aboard a single bird/point of failure. Or, if they did, they were ignored.
4) Shit happened, as it is wont to do.

Lessons should have been learned from Red Wing and Anaconda. Both were cases of SEALs jumping into a bird with horrible results. What makes this case worse is the fact that they didn't even use 160th assets. Would it have made a difference? I don't know, but Desert One taught some good lessons around that as well.

I may be off, we'll see.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

PocketKings wrote:My reading of the situation, having zero inside info, just gut guesses:

1) Overanxious SEALs wanting to 'get into the fight' pile onboard quickest bird available.
2) Quickest bird available is flown by National Guard/Reserve, who lack experience and are 'amped' to fly such a cool guy unit.
3) Nobody thought through the ramifications of such a high density number of very select individuals aboard a single bird/point of failure. Or, if they did, they were ignored.

Lessons should have been learned from Red Wing and Anaconda. Both were cases of SEALs jumping into a bird with horrible results. What makes this case worse is the fact that they didn't even use 160th assets. Would it have made a difference? I don't know, but Desert One taught some good lessons around that as well.

I may be off, we'll see.
So the lesson here is keep SEALs off helicopters.....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

RangerX wrote:
PocketKings wrote:My reading of the situation, having zero inside info, just gut guesses:

I may be off, we'll see.
So the lesson here is keep SEALs off helicopters.....
They make great distraction devices though. They're like big reusable flash bangs.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

While I never trusted Afghan's a tenth of the distance I could throw them, people are really reaching if they think this was more than some nobody asshole with an RPG that got lucky, who is now deader than shit. As to why they decided to put everyone on one lift, well, I've been wondering that since I saw the bird burning on ISR. Even if you have to rotate birds into an HLZ, the time saved in my opinion, is not worth the risk of a catastrophic event such as this.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:While I never trusted Afghan's a tenth of the distance I could throw them, people are really reaching if they think this was more than some nobody asshole with an RPG that got lucky, who is now deader than shit. As to why they decided to put everyone on one lift, well, I've been wondering that since I saw the bird burning on ISR. Even if you have to rotate birds into an HLZ, the time saved in my opinion, is not worth the risk of a catastrophic event such as this.
Amen, brother!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:While I never trusted Afghan's a tenth of the distance I could throw them, people are really reaching if they think this was more than some nobody asshole with an RPG that got lucky, who is now deader than shit. As to why they decided to put everyone on one lift, well, I've been wondering that since I saw the bird burning on ISR. Even if you have to rotate birds into an HLZ, the time saved in my opinion, is not worth the risk of a catastrophic event such as this.
Tactical cross-load is bread and butter in JSOC
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Nothing to see here, folks. They were providing aerial containment for rangers on the ground. It is very standard practice to have an entire strike force on one bird, ask any ranger that has been on a mission in the GWOT. It was a very unfortunate shot for us, a very lucky shot for the enemy. Just FYI, it was supposed to be a Ranger strike force on that bird, but a turn of events had devgru providing containment instead.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

Due to the need for rotary wing assets and only a limited number of SOAR assets, it is common practice for big army aviation to support SOF on a regular basis. During my last OEF tour, my company alone had a daily dedicated package that only supported SOF. We were far from the only ones.

I agree with Silverback, these asshats promoting a conspiracy theory need to seek extra employment elsewhere. Some lucky POS got a one in a million shot with tragic results. He also perished in a painful manner shortly thereafter along with many of his peers.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater

Return to “Ranger, SOF and Military News”