Request for Help

News of interest to those in the Ranger and Special Operations Community. News is generated and placed here from the front page of ArmyRanger.com

Moderator: Site Admin

hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Request for Help

Post by hobbit »

tjwest wrote:I am posting this at the request of a Ranger vet's family. I was contacted today by the family of a Vietnam era vet named SGT Thomas S. Pease. They state that Pease served in 75th INF, F Co and was put in for a MOH for a mission that occurred on March 1, 1969. The family has taken exception because he was apparently awarded the Distinguished Service Medal. Pease has been diagnosed with inoperable lung and brain cancer and is slipping from this world to the next. They would like to see if something can be done to modify the award before he passes or before the cancer advances so far that he won't be able to understand and appreciate the modification.

The family has been working through their congressional office but has come up against a wall. They need more information about the events of the mission from people who were there in order to advance the issue any further with DOD. If you are aware of any F Co Rangers that might be able to help please pass this message to them. I have already contacted the F Co unit director from 75th RRA. The family can be reached via Anne Summe-Pease at apease52@hotmail.com or 260-799-4966 (Home), 260-249-8573 (Cell).

Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.

TJ

Travis James West, JD
USARA Midwest Regional Director
(608) 561-1779
twest@vaclaimslaw.com
The official citation makes pretty clear the circumstances which led up to the Distinguished Service Medal award for Sgt. Peace. His team came under fire, two were KIA, others were WIA (including Peace), then Peace ran out under fire to drag back a wounded comrade, then seeing an enemy grenade lobbed close to he and his wounded comrade, Peace jumped on the grenade to save his comrade's life. All that took incredible guts. The thing is though, the grenade didn't explode. Peace survived and went on to live his life for several decades after the war. He lived.

A former L Company Ranger, Frank R. Fratellenico, found himself in identical circumstances. Under intense NVA fire, he jumped on a grenade to save the lives of 3 comrades. The grenade exploded. Fratellenico died. He was 19. Congress awarded him the Medal of Honor. I hope that Sgt. Peace's family might understand the distinction here.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I think you mean the Distinguished Service Cross which is given for valor; as opposed to the Distinguised Service Medal which is for achievement (sort of an ARCOM for Generals).
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

tjwest wrote: it should be the DSC.
They are few and far between. Thank you for taking care of one of our own.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Just seeing this now. Any update on his condition?

Unfortunately, we all know that this is a mandatory transition, I hope GRITS takes him smoothly and with no more pain.

Ranger Pease, thank you brother for your obviously outstanding service and sacrifice's. You truly lead the way!

To the family of Ranger Pease, let not this Gov paperwork lesson the bravery and courage displayed by your beloved Ranger on a daily basis, you know, and his Brother Rangers know, that he is deserving of so much more than any Governmental award, and the Lord will see fit to bless him accordingly.

RLTW!
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Ranger, SOF and Military News”