Sitrep - Stephen

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Templar
Embryo

Sitrep - Stephen

Post by Templar »

Rangers,

It’s been a while since I’ve come to the site. I’m roughly a month out from graduating OSUT and will be headed to pre-RASP after HBL. We’ve been told by our First Sergeant that this pre-RASP class will be very large due to it’s proximity to HBL, so if we want to class up to RASP we had better be proficient in PT. The Ranger Liason also came recently for the guys without Opt. 40s interested in volunteering. His description of RASP gave me motivation and it started to set in how close RASP is.

My current PT scores are as follows:
ACFT:
DL: 300 lbs
SPT: 9.3 m
HRP: 47
SDC: 1:47
LT: 16
2MR: 13:31
TOTAL: 539 (pass)

APFT:
Push-ups: 50 (71 pts)
Sit-ups: 48 (52 pts)
2 mi. run: 12:50 (100 pts)
TOTAL: 223
I know I am capable of 65+ sit-ups, but I for whatever reason failed to meet that number on the day of the test.
I typically have avoided sit-ups because I have heard they are bad for the back, and I have instead done other various core exercises. But I figure in order to get better at sit-ups I need to be doing sit-ups. I’ve started using a plan that one of my Opt. 40 friends used to go from 60 to 90 sit-ups in 2 weeks.
I think back to reading the Letters from School and seeing the patterns of bad habits people made which led to them failing or quitting RASP. I know I need to use what time I have left here to focus on PT and avoid wasting time. Many guys here frequently ignore the standards we are told to uphold and take shortcuts. Whenever our Drills notice this, we typically lose some of our priveleges and are told—typically while in the front leaning rest—that “complacency kills.” Not only in preparation for RASP, but more importantly, in combat, becoming complacent or becoming satisfied with your imperfect habits almost always leads to failure.

I thank all the Rangers here for their mentorship. I know that, because of this forum, I am more mentally prepared for RASP then almost all of my peers. However, I need to work on the physical. The Ranger Liason told us that a study was done which showed that RASP candidates with a less than 270 APFT had a <1% chance of graduating. I will make sure to get up to 300 by the time I arrive at pre-RASP. I’ve written out a weekly plan of workouts to do and my battle buddies and I will hold each other accountable.

I will make sure to give updated PT scores over my Thanksgiving pass to show my progress.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20210713
Carpenter
Ranger

Re: Sitrep - Stephen

Post by Carpenter »

Good luck at Pre-RASP.

I'm sure you already understand the hole you've gotten yourself into. If you don't get those scores up and they do a PT test at Pre-RASP they will drop you.

I hate to be the one to rip into you but even 65+ sit-ups is not meeting Ranger standards. Don't count on that PT program to set you straight since it's BS. Anyone can count bad reps but if you aren't breaking the base of your neck over the base of your spine the rep won't count. And you can count on the Ranger liason not counting them. And as far as sit-ups hurting your back you should have known better. That's a graded event and regardless you know you should have been doing them.

You can talk the talk but haven't been walking the walk. You need to collect yourself and get your priorities straight if you want to be a Ranger.

You already know what you need to do.

I'll leave it with this. Keep your head high and put the work in that is needed. Good luck.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Templar
Embryo

Post by Templar »

Roger Ranger Carpenter; first and foremost I have pushed 50+1 for my mistakes. I’m putting my old habits back into practice that got me into good physical shape in the first place. These past few weeks, I’ve been doing PT in the field after everyone else beds down.
Here are my PT Scores as of today:
Push-ups: 51 (72 pts)
Sit-ups: 66 (81 pts)
5 mile: 35:47
Hardly an improvement. In order to improve, I’ll continue doing sit-up and push-up workouts, but increase the volume. I’ll post another sitrep after our final FTX, which is only a few weeks away.
11X OPT 40
Templar
Embryo

Post by Templar »

Rangers, KesslerB and I are back at our OSUT company and we class up to pre RASP in a few days. BigBoss contacted us and we will try and stick together to push each other.
My PT scores are as follows:
Push-ups: 55 (78)
Sit-ups: 74 (94)
2 mi: 12:50 (100)
TOTAL: 272
Still not great but I feel a lot better going into it now.
11X OPT 40
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Thanks for updating us. Pre-RASP is a whole new ball game. But it's peanuts compared to RASP. Keep improving those scores, the Thunderdome is there for a reason. Also, be sure to be working on injury mitigation. It'll be the end of the day and you'll see guys up in the Pre-RASP bay hanging out; don't get comfortable. I would spend about an hour to an hour and a half stretching out and preparing for the next day. Remember, you're preparing your body for the rigors of RASP. As always, good luck and continue updating us as you progress.
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
Templar
Embryo

Post by Templar »

Roger Ranger Carpenter. Pre RASP has been fun so far, in a way. It feels good to be here. Today we took a PT Test. Despite us just arriving here, the Cadre are already saying most of us should class up this Monday. I hit a PR for push-ups; my sit-ups and run were not my best today, but still met the standard.
Push-ups: 63 (89)
Sit-ups: 69 (86)
2 mi: 13:49 (88)
Total: 263
Chin-ups: 13
11X OPT 40
Templar
Embryo

Post by Templar »

Rangers,
I regret to inform you that I’ve been medically dropped from RASP. KesslerB is still going strong, and I have faith that he will make it.

I cannot understate the appreciation I developed for the Regiment during my time here. Throughout my short time in the Army thus far, RASP is the first place I’ve been where I felt that every single member of our group truly did care to make sure they were squared away and was a team player. There was very little arrogance, and everyone sought to improve each other rather than try and prove a point out of spite.

Once I get to my unit, I plan to continue improving my PT scores, seek out a promotion, but most importantly, seek out a chance to come back here or go to Ranger School.

Thank you all for your mentorship and for holding us to the standards.
11X OPT 40
Carpenter
Ranger

Post by Carpenter »

Thank you for posting an update. What did you get medically dropped for? For clarification were you medically dropped from Pre-RASP? Or did you class up and get medically dropped from RASP?
2/75
RASP 05-21
RS 02-23
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Post by BlueLiner »

Thanks for sharing the update. Take the time to heal and recover and crush it at your unit. If they gave you a chance to return, you now have even more time to get your body in shape and gain some experience in your job. RLTW!
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!

Return to “Letters from School”