SITREP - Ry

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

SITREP - Ry

Post by rysilver55 »

Rangers,

I figured I would begin a thread in this subforum to provide an update on my process thus far. I just graduated from Basic Training yesterday, and am currently in the airport awaiting my flight to San Antonio for 68w AIT. Basic served as a solid introduction to soldiering, but I know that it is just the beginning of the journey. I was fortunate to have a fine cadre training me, and I learned a good amount. I qualified expert on the m4, which is the only weapons system we used at Fort Jackson, and did well on my ACFT. I scored a 550/600, with the following scores:

Deadlift: 340
Standing Power Throw: 10 meters
T-Pushups: 42
Sprint, Drag, Carry: 1:41
Leg Tucks: 14
2 mile run: 12:30

I'm happy with the results, but am still striving to improve immensely, especially on the T-pushups. The PT was extremely underwhelming, and we barely got to run at all, so I made the most of my free time to conduct extra PT on my own whenever possible. I did calisthenics in my bay before lights out, as well as ran around the CTA on Sundays when I had more down time. I'm hoping that I'll have consistent access to the weight room and track at whiskey AIT, but I'm ready to get creative to conduct PT in my down time in my room if not.

My orders don't list the exact start date for my AIT, but I know that I will be skipping the first half of training since I already am a registered EMT on the civilian side, meaning I'll only be at Fort Sam Houston for 8 weeks. I know that RASP is approaching quickly, so I am viewing my time in AIT as target and opportunity to be as prepared as possible when the time comes. Just like I did in basic, I plan to apply the Ranger Creed to my everyday life in AIT and live by what it represents. I'm excited for what lays ahead, and will continue to train hard to continue further on my goal of earning a tan beret.

Ry
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
IntelToad
Ranger

Re: SITREP - Ry

Post by IntelToad »

Good sitrep, good luck moving forward.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Great sitrep, Ry...continue to focus on your goal and always give 100% in whatever you do.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

Thank you, Ranger IntelToad and Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV; I'm looking forward to the journey ahead!
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Ry, any updates for AIT with all that is going on?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

AIT is coming to a close, as I am set to graduate next week. My time here has been great thus far, as I have found the course extremely interesting and engaging. The COVID pandemic lead to a multitude of changes and forced us all to constantly adjust, but the training remained consistent throughout all of the moving parts. Building the foundation to practice combat medicine was a fulfilling and exciting process. I was fortunate to have great whiskey instructors with lots of experience and subject matter expertise.

I was unable to take a PT test due to social distancing policies, but myself and a few other motivated option 40 candidates were able to perform PT on our own everyday after class. The weight room has been closed, so I have dedicated a lot of time to running and calisthenics. We've incorporated intervals, tempo runs, and long runs a few times per week, which has really paid dividends for my endurance. On the academic side of things, I was able to obtain a 96 GPA and perform well on my hands on testing.

I still haven't been given a date for when I'll be leaving and heading to Benning, but I anticipate that I'll be held over for a bit. In the meantime I plan to continue preparing for RASP by training hard, working on my soldering skills, and studying Ranger history. I know a massive challenge is ahead and approaching quickly, so getting complacent is the last thing that I can afford. I'm both anxious and excited for the coming months, but I am glad to have met some fellow medics with the same goals and drive for success.

More updates to follow,
Ry
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Sounds like you are continuing to stay focused on your goal. Make sure that you hang out with like minded troops. Updated us if you get a chance...

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Good to hear from you Ry, keep driving on and keep us updated on your progress.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987

Return to “Letters from School”